First test results. Help with raising CYA

No, but I don't think my pressure gauge is all that accurate. The last time we decided to switch that because we weren't seeing much improvment but the filters were disgusting. I don't lose anything switching the filters around. The system's closed so when I turn off the pump I just wait a few minutes to add the water goes back through the lines while I'm switching the filters. I actually did switch them out last night when I got home from work at about midnight. I'm about to go outside for a big review and see if there's been any big changes. I'm also wondering if maybe there's a dead spot in my pool when it comes to water movement. Could that be a possibility as to why it's not clearing as fast? If so how do I fix that?

I'm not sure of your plumbing, but if the flow is entirely from the skimmers, the water might not be pulling from the main drain. Or the drain could be plugged, with all of the "pool poo" at the bottom. Is there one line from the pool to the pump, or two?

No, but I don't think my pressure gauge is all that accurate. The last time we decided to switch that because we weren't seeing much improvment but the filters were disgusting. I don't lose anything switching the filters around. The system's closed so when I turn off the pump I just wait a few minutes to add the water goes back through the lines while I'm switching the filters. I actually did switch them out last night when I got home from work at about midnight. I'm about to go outside for a big review and see if there's been any big changes. I'm also wondering if maybe there's a dead spot in my pool when it comes to water movement. Could that be a possibility as to why it's not clearing as fast? If so how do I fix that?
I treated myself to a new pressure gauge from TFTestkits this year... very nice. ;) but I keep knocking that darn pip off!

So I'm starting to realize that the 25% rule on cleaning the filter is really more for normal operation. In a SLAM situation you are looking for every advantage you can get. So I would lean toward cleaning or swapping out your filters more often. Especially when you are trying to filter out those last suspended particulates. Cleaner filters translates to more water flow through them. When I am clearing my pool from a rough winter, I give those things a quick rinse off everyday.

Last edited:
Cleaner filters translates to more water flow through them
I think this will spawn a chicken/egg debate. A slightly dirty filter will trap more gunk when the existing gunk grabs more. Only until the point of being ‘clogged’, but still.

But more flow means more potential to trap gunk so whattayado ? 🤷‍♂️

One things for sure LooLoo. You are in the homestretch. The Algae is dead and it’s just a matter of removing it. It is entirely a filter issue / waiting game at this point. This is that ‘PoP’ stage for pool owner patience. Keep your foot on the gas and power through.

But more flow means more potential to trap gunk so whattayado ?
Stick with TFP suggestions. Assuming the gauge works, the pressure HAS TO increase as it catches debris. If it does not increase, you have not captured enough debris to make any difference so what's the point in changing. A working, precise easy to read gauge is an essential part of careful pool water management so make sure yours is. Replace if for about $15.00 or so if it is not.

I understand the common sense of changing the filters "just because" but the science of that doesn't work.

Reactions: JoeSelf and Newdude
So, the site was down this am for maintenance but we're trucking along with day 13 of our SLAM. Poolio continues to clear, although not as fast as my impatient self would like LOL. Cultivating that POP. or at least trying! Tried to take some night pics too, hit they didn't work out too well. Although they look like they would be a good album cover for a 90s indie band

Attachments

• IMG_20200715_071946450.jpg
    IMG_20200715_071946450.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200715_000528497.jpg
    IMG_20200715_000528497.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200715_000500435.jpg
    IMG_20200715_000500435.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20200715_000446972.jpg
    IMG_20200715_000446972.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 67

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well guys I think I'm on the last day or two of this.

You won't believe it butttttt

I CAN SEE THE BOTTOM OF THE DEEPEND.
It's still hazy but I can see my vacuum had clearly in the deep end without having to strain my eyes, or think that I'm just wishful thinking! You guys are so amazing none of this would have been possible without TFP!

Poolio is gonna be shining like a crystal soon! I'm keeping up the FC and my POP! Without you all here at TFP there's no way I would have been able to do this, I cannot even express how much gratitude I have to the knowledge and experience that the site offers.

It's windy today so it's kind of messing with my photos but believe me the improvement is there even from yesterday!

Attachments

• IMG_20200716_100233935.jpg
    IMG_20200716_100233935.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200716_100253039.jpg
    IMG_20200716_100253039.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 73
I cannot even express how much gratitude I have to the knowledge and experience that the site offers.
You’ve been living the slam 24/7 for 2 weeks and the school of hard knocks brought you right up to speed with the rest of the SLAM pros. Next time you will be the help-er, not the help-ee. It’s much easier being the help-er. :goodjob:

Improvement keeps kicking friends!!! Did our morning check on Poo, and I could see the SuckHole™ in the deep end no problem! probably would have been even clearer this morning, but we have some nasty thunderstorms last night and I turned off the pump. I'm not sure if it's okay to run it while it's thunderstorming, but I'm paranoid and afraid it's going to get hit by lightning and then I'll lose all my progress, lol!

Pictures aren't that great. I had to grab a quick one before I brought my mother-in-law over to her doctor's appointment. I'll get a better one this afternoon!

Attachments

• IMG_20200717_074238706.jpg
    IMG_20200717_074238706.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Love
Reactions: carnivalday

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.