First test results and first time pool owner

SoCal2018

Silver Supporter
Nov 23, 2018
Southern California
I was handed control of the pool from my builder yesterday. Anxiously waiting for the remaining ~20 days to be able to turn on our heater so it's a good temperature for our first swim.

First test results today using my Lamotte 7022 test kit:
FC: 2.5
pH: ~7.6-8.0? See below question.
TA: 60
CYA: Did not test but assume ~0 since it was newly filled tap water and no CYA was added. I added 64 oz of CYA powder in a sock and it's still dissolving.

My question:
For the pH test using Phenol red, it was a shade of pink that is difficult for me to determine: it seems like 7.6-8.0. After adding one drop of acid (P-6068) for the acid demand test, it became a peach color: ~7.0-7.2 pH. Do you know how much one drop of the acid reagent corresponds to? The directions for acid demand adjustment say 1 drop corresponds to adding 1.4 pints of Muriatic acid for a 10,000 gallon pool, but I don't know the concentration of Muriatic acid it assumes?

Water is clear.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions.

I have to do my pH test inside under my stove hood that has a 60w bulb in it. I also hold a white, plastic plate behind it to help me match the colors better. Let me know if this helps. I have another idea if it does not.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.