First test results and first time pool owner

SoCal2018

Silver Supporter
Nov 23, 2018
Southern California
I was handed control of the pool from my builder yesterday. Anxiously waiting for the remaining ~20 days to be able to turn on our heater so it's a good temperature for our first swim.

First test results today using my Lamotte 7022 test kit:
FC: 2.5
pH: ~7.6-8.0? See below question.
TA: 60
CYA: Did not test but assume ~0 since it was newly filled tap water and no CYA was added. I added 64 oz of CYA powder in a sock and it's still dissolving.

My question:
For the pH test using Phenol red, it was a shade of pink that is difficult for me to determine: it seems like 7.6-8.0. After adding one drop of acid (P-6068) for the acid demand test, it became a peach color: ~7.0-7.2 pH. Do you know how much one drop of the acid reagent corresponds to? The directions for acid demand adjustment say 1 drop corresponds to adding 1.4 pints of Muriatic acid for a 10,000 gallon pool, but I don't know the concentration of Muriatic acid it assumes?

Water is clear.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions.

Msch99

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2018
Verona, MO
I am not an expert so dont know about your test kit, but you can use the pool math app to calculate additions and predicted changes.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
I have to do my pH test inside under my stove hood that has a 60w bulb in it. I also hold a white, plastic plate behind it to help me match the colors better. Let me know if this helps. I have another idea if it does not.

Kim:kim: