First test on new pool - high pH - What to do?

wgipe

Gold Supporter
Jul 4, 2020
Fletcher, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Good evening!

Posting a separate thread here. If this belongs in my build thread, I can post there instead - just let me know.

Our new vinyl pool was finally filled today. After everything was cut in, I ran ,my first tests to see where I was with the fill water they brought in. Results were:

FC: 1
pH: 8.2 (higher?)
TA: 70
CH: 125
Salt: 200

Based on the FC level, I added the amount for the water that's in there so far (16,000 gallons) to bring it to 3 - just a little over a quart - and brushed the whole pool to mix it in.

The water is still below the skimmer line, so I can't run the pump yet - will be able to do that next week.

Two questions:
  1. Should I add some MA to bring the pH down to 7.6 or so?
  2. Should I continue to test and add chlorine each day to keep it at 3PPM until I can get my SWCG up and running? I'm planning to add CYA when I can circulate the water, and then will run it up to the recommended levels for SWCG.

I did not test CYA or CC, but can certainly do that if needed. Also, PoolMath results are linked to my profile in case that helps.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Yes and yes.
Until there is CYA in the water, the half life of the chlorine is about an hour when sun is shining on the pool surface.

Thanks! Should I try to get some CYA in there somehow in the meantime?
Yes, with a vinyl pool you can add stabilizer now. It will take a while to dissolve without your pump running. But hang a sock with stabilizer in it in your pool water.

Reactions: wgipe
Yes, with a vinyl pool you can add stabilizer now. It will take a while to dissolve without your pump running. But hang a sock with stabilizer in it in your pool water.
I just added MA to bring the ph down and brushed good. Do I need to wait a while or am I okay to do that overnight?

You can hang some stabilizer in the pool now.

Reactions: wgipe
Just be sure the sock with the CYA is not touching the liner. It can stain the liner if raw CYA gets on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you see any undissolved stabilizer slipping out and onto the liner brush it with your pool brush. As Marty said don’t let it sit on your liner and possibly stain it.

If you see any undissolved stabilizer slipping out and onto the liner brush it with your pool brush. As Marty said don’t let it sit on your liner and possibly stain it.
Will do. I was going to let it hang there overnight, but maybe I’ll take it out and put it back in the morning when I can watch it.

Just logged my testing for today. My CYA is starting to register, but my pH is now at the bottom of the acceptable range. If I understand correctly, the CYA brings the pH down also. Given that I still have a ways to go on my CYA, should I add some borax to boost it back up a bit or would that be chasing and just lead to porpoising?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.