Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Ok, if you didn't see my opening thread, I'll link it here. I had the worst opening in the 5 years I've been doing this because we had a big hole in the cover. essentially, my pool water level got super low and it opened to green, but clear. after 5 gallons of Chlorine were added, the pool was blue. I'll post a picture from today here. it's blue and very very clear. Here's the thread from a couple days ago. since we were green, I will do an OCLT tonight.

Test results:
ph: 7.5
FC .5
CC .5
CH 250
TA 90
salt 1,000
CYA - less than 20, i'm guessing none

so, being that I'm doing the OCLT tonight, what do I do right now? Add chlorine I assume and start my CYA?

Yy7yWHEWSiiwd6exdYUIHw.jpgxZosibyMTfa20j7HRczwvw.jpg

Looking good Emily. :goodjob: As for the chemicals:
- Add enough stabilizer to get the CYA to 30 for now. If you pass the OCLT and know for sure there is no lingering algae, only then should you increase it higher for the SWG.
- Increase the FC right away to about 8-10. Keep it in that range today and that way you'll have a healthy start for your OCLT.
- You can add more salt if you wish just to get it going, but leave the SWG off for now.

Leave everything else alone for now until you check the final OCLT in the morning. Enjoy your evening.

Reactions: zea3
Ok for my night time test, it appears I already have a problem. My FC is 12 and my CC is 1. I did take my test water from right near my sock of CYA, I don't know if that could cause any issues.

Ok, morning test was also 12 and my CC at .5. Hm. Should I test again in a few hours for CC and maintain FC 12 for today? I am still trying to get CYA in the pool. I can test it today but I just added it the pool yesterday afternoon and it's still in the sock.

Good morning! So you had zero FC loss overnight correct? CCs are 0.5 or less, and clear water? If so, then you are good. You can let the FC slowly fall to it's normal level based on the FC/CYA Levels. If the water is still cold, say 60 or below, your SWG may not want to work yet so you'll have to chlorinate manually. But if the water temp is high enough to make the SWG happy, then you can turn it on (with proper salt level of course) and start generating your own chlorine. When you use the SWG, you'll want to start to increase the CYA closer to the minimal range of about 70. You could shoot for a CYA of 60 first to be safe since it's always easier to add stabilizer than remove it if you go too high. Make sense?

well I tested again and I'm at 11 and .5, so maybe I'm good. Now what to do with all this liquid chlorine I bought. I guess that's a good problem to have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.