Marietta, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
OK ... my pool looks unswimmable and my wife is threatening to hire a weekly pool service !!!

I went to my local pool store ONLY because I just read that the chemicals/reagents in my 5 year old Taylor K2005 kit might not be good anymore. I just ordered a new kit.

The readings were:
FC = 3.38
TC = 3.38
pH = 7.5
TA = 84
CH = 90
CYA = 31
Copper = .1
Salt = 2,050

I have a 15k gal fiberglass pool with a SWG.

Based on CYA of 30, I need to get to Slam Level 12.

What is that and how do I get there?
Do I turn off the the SWG but leave the filter on?
Do I just buy regular bleach?
Are there written directions for this SLAM process?

Pool Pic 2.JPGPool Pic 1.JPGPoolPic 3.JPG

Hey Mickey !!! Have a read. Go have a coffee and process it all. Come back and read it again. It's a 'process' and needs to be followed to a T. It's simple stuff but alot to take in, so ask away and we'll help fill in any blanks. :)
SLAM Process

Read SLAM Process
While you wait on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each day to the pool with the pump running.
When you get your test kit, post the results here for guidance.
Be sure you ordered a kit with a FAS-DPD test in it. The K2005 does NOT have that test.

OK ... I've done my reading and have two questions:

1.) If I understand correctly, I need to get my pH down to 7.2
How do I do that ? Add muriatic acid?

2.) What does "add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each day" mean? I bought 6 gallons of Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid for Swimming Pools. Is that enough? Should I buy more as I don't know what Slam Level 12 means.

How do I do that ? Add muriatic acid?
Correct. The PoolMath APP can help you with the dosage amount if you need help.

What does "add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each day" mean?
Using the PoolMath tool's "Effects of Adding" section, you can determine how much chlorine (or bleach) is required (by strength) for your pool size.

The PoolMath APP can help you with that and much more once you get the hang of it.

I bought 6 gallons of Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid for Swimming Pools. Is that enough? Should I buy more as I don't know what Slam Level 12 means.
Your pool is 15K. Walmart's Pool Essentials is 10% strength. So by using that APP. I know that if your FC was currently zero, it would take about 3 quarts to increase your FC by 5 ppm. One full gallon of 10% strength would be about 6.5 ppn in your pool..

"SLAM Level" is a term we use to describe the proper FC-to-CYA ratio to effectively make progress in killings algae. You can use our
FC/CYA Levels page to help. Also see our SLAM Process page for detailed instructions.

OK ... some numbers ...
Today's readings at SLAM START time was:
FC = .81
TC = .82
PH = 7.2
TA = 51
CH = 105
CYA = 30
Salt = 2,100

So ... the Pool Math app told me to add 215oz. of 10% bleach.
I added 2 gallons of Walmart's Pool Essential Chlorinating Liquid. So that comes out to 256oz.
I tested FC at 7:30 pm and it was 14.8
I tried to get the CC but when I added the R-0871 it was NEVER pink. It was gold colored and stayed that way with 30 drops of R-0871.
All reagents were fresh.
I used a brand new water sample. Was I supposed to use the same tube where I tested for FC?
Also, do I try to fix the other things (low TA, low CA, low salt) or just strictly focus on FC and CC ?

At 9:30pm, I calculated FC at 12.4
For CC, it turned SLIGHTLY pink after the 5 drops of R-0003. I then added 4 drops of R-0871 and it turned colorless. So I will call CC at .8

NOTE: this time I used the SAME water sample that I used to test for FC so maybe you ARE supposed to use the same sample you started with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At 9:30pm, I calculated FC at 12.4
For CC, it turned SLIGHTLY pink after the 5 drops of R-0003. I then added 4 drops of R-0871 and it turned colorless. So I will call CC at .8

NOTE: this time I used the SAME water sample that I used to test for FC so maybe you ARE supposed to use the same sample you started with.
3/22 @ 11:30pm - FC = 13.2 / CC = 0
3/23 @ 3:30am - FC = 13.4 / CC = 0
3/23 @ 5:30am - FC = 13.4 / CC = 0
3/23 @ 7:30am - FC = 14.5 / CC = 0
3/23 @ 10:46am - FC = 12 / CC = 0
so I added 20 oz. of bleach
3/23 @ 1:09pm - FC = 11 / CC = 0
so I added 1/2 gal of bleach

1.) why is CC constantly 0? I put the 5 drops of
R-0003 and the water stays clear.
2.) Shouldn't the FC have dropped during the night?
3.) Pool is still green so I guess continue to scrub and vacuum and chlorinate ?

1.) why is CC constantly 0? I put the 5 drops of
R-0003 and the water stays clear.
Because you don't have combined chloramines. Not all green pools have high CC. How old are your reagents?
2.) Shouldn't the FC have dropped during the night?
Is your SWCG turned on? It should be off during SLAM. Could also be testing error. Do you have a speed stir?
3.) Pool is still green so I guess continue to scrub and vacuum and chlorinate ?
Yep!

Keep going until you pass Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Water is clear (no algae, no dead algae on the bottom, nothing)
and CC <= .5

Reactions: Newdude
Because you don't have combined chloramines. Not all green pools have high CC. How old are your reagents?

Is your SWCG turned on? It should be off during SLAM. Could also be testing error. Do you have a speed stir?

Yep!

Keep going until you pass Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Water is clear (no algae, no dead algae on the bottom, nothing)
and CC <= .5
Reagents are BRAND new.
SWCG is off.
Do I need to balance the other things ... TA, CH, salt, etc.

Reagents are BRAND new.
SWCG is off.
Do I need to balance the other things ... TA, CH, salt, etc.
Great!
Great!
Then likely testing error. You might consider getting a speed stir...your test results will get incredibly consistent.
No, not during slam. Only worry about FC test. Don't even do CC test. SLAM until your water is clear. Then do OCLT. If you pass oclt, then on THAT SAMPLE do your CC test. Only test FC until then...you will save reagent. Also, as @mknauss indicated, use the 10ml sample.

Thanks for all your help guys !!!
I do use a speed stir and I will take pics when the sun comes up.
Here is the latest and greatest:
3/23 @ 3:21pm = 12
3/23 @ 6:34pm = 9.6 so I added 1/2g of chlorine
3/23 @ 9:13pm = 13.5
3/23 @ 11:49pm = 14
3/24 @ 6:46am = 12.6

I am confused about the OCLT. Although it's only been 2 days, the FC level from 3/22 to 3/23 showed a .2 increase but I guess the bad news is that it went down from 3/23 to 3/24 by 1.4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.