First results with a proper test kit what now?

r0ll

Jun 6, 2022
Lachute, Quebec
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

After a 2 week journey across the continent FedEx has finally decided to deliver me my K 2006 kit.
I tested today and my results are as follows
3.5 FC no CC
PH 7.4 -7.5
CYA 45-50
TA 70 - 80. ( it looked a little pinkish at first so I continued adding drops but the color did not noticeably darken after the 7th or 8th drop)
water temp is 72

I think all my levels are pretty much right on the money except my FC should be higher according to everything I have absorbed in my short time on this forum.

I have been using stabilized pucks but now that I have a test kit I am planning to switch to liquid tonight.

We think the pool is around 15k gallons but not sure. What should my next step be?

Thanks in advance and happy swimming everyone

Always round up CYA to the next tens, so call it 50. Bump your FC to 5 and never let it fall below 4 and you'll be golden.

How does your water look? Is it perfectly clear? Now that you have a test kit, it might be a good idea to run an OCLT tonight just to insure you don't have anything trying to grow: Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Reactions: r0ll
Always round up CYA to the next tens, so call it 50. Bump your FC to 5 and never let it fall below 4 and you'll be golden.

How does your water look? Is it perfectly clear? Now that you have a test kit, it might be a good idea to run an OCLT tonight just to insure you don't have anything trying to grow: Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)
Thanks I will perform that test tonight. I read about it but though it was only for if there was something off
I think the pool looks perfectly clear. It's a little cloudy right now and I am a horrible photographer. but heres what it looks like IMG_20220615_142149.jpgIMG_20220615_142202.jpg

Thanks I will perform that test tonight. I read about it but though it was only for if there was something off
You cannot verify any happenings pre kit. You qualify by default. :)

Rookies look for reasons to not OCLT and/or SLAM.

Pros have at it and laugh when they didn't need to because they were not given a swamp from indecisiveness.

If you are wrong when you OCLT for no reason, it was free, easy, and you lost nothing while certifying all was well.

If you are wrong when you should have OCLT, your SLAM will be even harder and more expensive.

Reactions: jeffchap and Stump
Thank you everyone. I will definitely do the OCLT tonight.
I will stress again though how bad the photos I took are. Looking from my kitchen window in the light right now I can clearly see the drain and clear clean looking water. However I am totally ready to be proven wrong!

I am heading to the store to buy my liquid chlorine. I was going to calculate what I need to raise my FC using the pool math page based on my guestimate of 15k gallons and add half the chlorine as soon as I get home then wait and test again and adjust. And remove the floater with the pucks of course ;)
I have about 5 -6 hours till sundown, am I likely to have the time to get an accurate FC reading by tonight for my OCTL test or should I try to get my FC up tonight and do the OCTL tomorrow?

I feel like I am going to need to order more reagents in the near future :)

EDIT: I just checked out Newdude's link and I am blown away. Hope I can achieve this!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.