First Pool - Many Questions

There is no arbitrary number of how much you need to run your pump. The minimum is enough to add your chlorine (with a SWG or a stunner pump) or enough to mix your chlorine if you’re using jugs.
I live in the woods near the river and end with with a large amount of debris and insects in the pool. I run mine constantly to keep up the skimming
I have read the same, I do use jugs, with the size of my pump and filter in relation to my pool I think i could get away with even less run time.

I noticed you have a Pentair Mastertemp 125. How do you like it so far?
I love it. It will get me about a degree an hour in my 13,000 gallon pool. It’s way more efficient than my old Hayward heater.
It was a necessity purchase 2 years ago when I was having a party Sunday and Friday I tried to turn my heater on for the first time that season and it didn’t work. Spent all day Saturday trying to find a part for my obsolete Hayward heater and finally giving up and buying the Pentair, because I needed it and it was what they had in stock. I believe the price was fairly reasonable too. Spent the better part of the evening and part of overnight replumbing, and had a no e warm pool for my gathering. I THINK it was Mother’s Day but not certain.

Reactions: MikeSaw75
Well I finally got the approval from the HOA to install the 21 foot...Oh Yeah! Install is set for September 9th.
I ordered the TF-100 test kit and SpeedStir today so I will be ready upon fill up. I now have to order the Pentair equipment through my work.
Any thoughts on if I should run electric before or after the installation of the pool?

Well I finally got the approval from the HOA to install the 21 foot...Oh Yeah! Install is set for September 9th.
I ordered the TF-100 test kit and SpeedStir today so I will be ready upon fill up. I now have to order the Pentair equipment through my work.
Any thoughts on if I should run electric before or after the installation of the pool?
I’d do it before so you can get your equipment hooked up and running as soon as you have water

Pool equipment has been ordered and will hopefully be here before the install (Shipping 8/18 and install set for 9/9). If not then I am pretty much screwed...Lol. Heater is expected to ship 8/24.
I need to really find out the exact location of the pool so I can figure out where to run the electric and gas line. I was thinking of keeping the equipment by the deck so I do not have to run a trencher through the whole backyard. I am concerned about noise, but with the VS pump I would imagine it should be okay.
So other than the basic equipment (Net, Brush, Vac) is there anything else that is a MUST have to start up a pool? This is my first pool and want to make sure I have everything on hand when it is time to go. TF-100 Test Kit got shipped today so I am good on that.

Received the SpeedStir and TF-100 test kit today and I have to admit it looks very intimidating. I am sure it will take some practice to really get used to it. Should I go out and pickup Liquid Chlorine and other chemicals to put in it upon filling it up? Just want to be prepared and not have to scramble to find the things I needs at the last minute.

The two things you know you will need is liquid chlorine and CYA/stabilizer.
I assume from your signature you will be chlorinating with liquid chlorine? If so, getting 8-10 gallons is fine if you can store it. Get 4 lbs of stabilizer.

If you test your fill water for pH, TA, and CH, we can let you know what else you might need.

Thanks Marty.
I found some LC in a 4 pack for $13 at Farm & Fleet. It says Poly-Guard Ultra Shock Treatment and has the following percentages.
Chlorine 15% by volume and also Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5% by weight. Can I use this? Seems like a pretty good deal. If not there is a Menards by me that has it for just under $4 gal. Could I test my tap water to get an idea of what is in the water? If so what tests?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That chlorine sounds fine. If there is a string of numbers on the box or bottle, look for 20XXX or XXX20. It is showing the day of the year the bottle was filled.

As stated above, test your fill water (tap water) for pH, TA, and CH. That will tell you if you will need acid, or less likely, borax or soda ash.

Reactions: MikeSaw75
Well I did my first trial tests with the new kit and it does take some getting used too. Below are the results from my tap water from kitchen sink.
PH - 7.2
CH - 500
TA - 300
Looks like the PH is not too bad, maybe a little low while the CH and TA seem a little high.

The PH test was obviously the easiest and the other two were a little more difficult due to knowing the color change thing. I know they were pretty darn close though. The SpeedStir makes things much easier for sure and glad that it was recommended.

Are you wiping the tip of the dropper with a damp cloth in between drops with the TA test? Static in the bottle can cause the drops to be smaller than they should be and skew the result upward.
I ask because the TA seems awfully high for the pH result.

I feel I need to redo the CH and TA tests for sure. Since it was my first time doing it I was unsure of what to actually look for as far as the color change. Any other tips would definitely help and I will wipe the droppers next time.

**Update**
So I tested again for all three and the test went much smoother and I think the numbers are much better. I took your advice Jim and wiped the droppers with a damp cloth after every drop. I also did the CH test with only 10ml instead of the 25 ml like the YouTube video showed me. The TA test was still using the 25ml.
Results:
PH - 7.2
CH - 75ppm
TA - 260ppm
Hopefully these look like better numbers to determine what I may need to have on-hand when the pool is initially filled.

With your TA, the pH will rise pretty quickly. So have a gallon of muriatic acid on hand.

You want to store muriatic acid on its own, away from any metals. I suggest getting a 5 gallon bucket with lid to store the 1 gallon jug in. Then put it outside, away from metals.

So I picked up about 8 gallons of Pool Shock (12.5%) from Menards and the date codes are 20208 and 20218 which should be okay. I also picked up a gallon of Muratic Acid to have on hand.
I just got word though today that the pump and filter I ordered through my work are on backorder and am unsure if I will get them in time.... UGH!!!!!! If I do not get them in time I will not be able to do anything when the pool is installed on the 9th. If this is the case should I just fill the pool and add the Pool Shock (LC) and swirl it around with the brush then Winterize it? I think Panic Mode has just kicked in!

Yep, you can manually stir your LC in. Can’t help you with the winterizing part... we don’t do that here!

Looks like the Pentair pump and filter shipped and will be here on Monday! On the downside I was just informed by The Great Escape that the pool will be delivered on the 15th and the installation will take place on the 18th. One week before my daughters birthday!! I hope to have it up and running by her party on the 26th.

Anyone have thoughts about having the pool water trucked in? Thinking this would be better so I can get it filled within a few hours instead of a few days.

Mike, I'm in the Chicago area and looked into getting water delivered when I replaced my liner. It was several years ago but I recall it being really really expensive vs the water bill so I just waited few days. Maybe you can offer to pay a neighbor's water bill for the month if you can use their water as well as yours? Cut your time in half or a third. Calculations all change if you cut too close to your daughter's bday!

I added heat some years back, don't know how I lived without it. You will not regret that expenditure!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.