First Pool - Many Questions

A little less stress now! I received the Pump and Filter today. I also got word that the heater shipped and should be here next week. Now I need the pool.. Lol. The 18th can't come soon enough. Yes I still plan on using it this year!

Well after convincing my wife to get a pool, it was her idea to go to the local pool store over the weekend (Great Escape). We ended up buying the Aqua-Leader Athena 21' x 54" AGP with their Installation. I had them delete the Hayward Voyager 150sf Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2HP Single Speed Pump and Nature2 system and they credited me $500 (better than nothing). I can get some better equipment through my work (least I think it is better) and those are listed in my signature.

I am trying to find out if the pool is "Salt Friendly" and don't really trust the salesman there to answer that. I reached out to Aqua-Leader by using their contact us and am waiting for a response. The pool is all resin except the wall of course so I am assuming it will be okay.

Looking to see if anyone has more information on this pool and if the equipment list I have is sufficient or overkill? Any feedback is much appreciated!
We have used everything over the years and our choice by far is Baquacil. I know many people will disagree with us, however, we have diligently figured out the proper techniques and never have organic pool matter growing in the pool, we can keep our beautiful pool liner, bathing suits and towels their original colors because there's no bleaching out of color. Our hair, skin and eyes stay normal and we don't worry about drying out our skin or having green hair.
We never have any kind of ring around the top of the pool and the water stays crystal clear. The start up cost is more expensive, but if you really use your pool the benefits certainly pay for it 😊

The day has finally come, tomorrow they will be delivering the pool and start excavating. I decided to go down 18-24 inches to try and line up with my existing deck which is about 27 inches above the ground to the top of the deck boards.

I am also planning on using either deck membrane or rubberized roof tar to coat the bottom of the pool wall before I backfill.

Attachments

• 20200914_104811.jpg
    20200914_104811.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 17
One step closer - they delivered the pool today. They even gave me the Nature@ Pro Vessel with another cartridge which I told them that I did not want and they didn't charge me for it. Needless to say this is going to be sold because I have heard nothing but bad things about it.
They will be using a track skid-steer. This will be the last picture I am sure before it is all torn up and dirt everywhere. I like the idea of "flagging" the power pole.

I think I underestimated the amount of dirt. WOW! They took one load of dirt away today and another one tomorrow. The rest will be used to backfill and to level the rest of my yard and also repair the damage from the skid-steer. I'm just a little overwhelmed at the moment.

Attachments

• 20200915_161017.jpg
    20200915_161017.jpg
    683.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Wow
Reactions: kimkats
That IS a lot of dirt!!! Yeah I can see why you are overwhelmed! But hey you will have a very level yard once they are done if the pool hole is any indication of their skill level. It looks great from that pic. Hope it looks as good in person!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool is installed and filling up with two garden hoses. I still have to do the pad and plumbing for the pump, filter and heater. I have rigid 1.5 PVC and flexible PVC with shutoff valves and unions. Hopefully that goes smooth without any problems. Once filled the real hard work begins with backfilling.

Attachments

• 20200916_110217.jpg
    20200916_110217.jpg
    835.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
man you work FAST!!! So who do you think will be the first one to jump from the deck rail in to the pool? LOL Here at my house it would be my husband :roll: "Caught" him and his brother putting a ladder up on the pool house to climb to the roof to jump into the pool! Took some doing to make them know just how much it would hurt if they did not take down that ladder NOW! MEN!!

• Haha
Reactions: Woodstock1234
Actually my Yellow Lab has been eyeing it up. Need to find a way to keep her out so she doesn't ruin the liner.
I'm glad I went down the 24 inches so that it is pretty even with the deck. Adding to the deck will be next year's project.

I spent all day doing the plumbing.. I am beat! I have Praher single union shutoff valves on both the skimmer and return and used both hard pvc and flexible PVC (1.5 inch). I wanted to put in a bypass and check valve for the heater but I figured I can always do that next year. I did add the Flowvis Flow Meter in between the filter and heater which was well worth the cost.

I'm going to give a rare shout out to the manually dosing method for smaller pools, and my reasoning has to do with the fact that I never have to fiddle with pH adjustments (average one adjustment per year; usually upward; occasionally after a stabilizer dose). Once I got my TA set to the right buffer level for my pool, which I did seven years ago; I haven't had the need to adjust TA to keep pH rock steady but for one time in seven years; don't have to add salt; don't have to worry about a salt cell adjusting/replacing/trouble shooting. So mostly all I ever do to my pool is test and then add stabilizer two to three times per season to stay in range 30-50; find and purchase fresh and cheap bleach, aka liquid chlorine at $2.99/gallon 10%, and then add said bleach, aka liquid chlorine each day from 1-3 ppm per day depending on the time of season; test FC a couple times per week to make sure I'm staying on track with regards to FC level targets; test pH once per week only to see it exactly at 7.4 each time; CYA once every couple of months. With regards to pool chemistry, that's all I've done for seven years now.

I'm sure that others may not have as trouble free of a situation as I have manually dosing due to source water or climate, cost of chlorine, etc; but in my case, other than buying 24 gallons of 10% bleach each season, a four pound container of stabilizer about every year and a half, and a TF-100 refill kit every year and a half, I rarely have to do anything else with my pool regarding chemistry or testing. For me, finding fresh and cheap bleach late in the season in my area is the toughest part of maintaining my pool manually dosing with chlorine. Now if it were true that adding an SWG meant that it would cut down on adding chemicals or testing or hassles for me and my pool, I'd be all for it; but trading the need for purchasing and storing and adding chlorine for the need to regularly adjust pH via acid doses and occasionally, add salt; and still have to occasionally test and add stabilizer as I do now; none of that seems to make pool care easier or cheaper at least in my case. I do think it's very cool to produce one's own chlorine, but I just can't make the economics or the logistics of going this route make sense for me.

First test using the TF-100 kit. Here are the results. What order should I add chemicals? I'm thinking I should raise the CYA first and then some liquid chlorine 12.5%.

Attachments

• 20200918_121824.jpg
    20200918_121824.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the quick reply Marty. I added 32 oz of 12.5% LC per the Pool Math app. I going to let that run for an hour and then test again unless I should wait longer.

The app defaulted to 40 ppm CYA but noticed you said 30 ppm. Should I try and keep it at 30? I have a 4lb bag of the stabilizer and will use the sock method to add it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.