First pool, looking for advice on quote for heater, SWG, and VS pump

Alfredo_

Apr 21, 2020
MA
Hi everyone

First post here, but this forum has already been a great resource in terms of pictures to help with our new liner choice, and convinced us to get a SWG. We just bought a house that came with a pool, and it was in need of repairs so we decided to get mostly everything done at once. New liner, lights, coated vinyl stairs, heating, pump (possibly), and SWG. This post is somewhat of a mix of different items, so I wasn't really sure where to post it. The pool itself is around 18k gallons from what I've been told.

The quote I received for the second phase (after liner) is as follows:

ItemPrice
Install SWG$300
Hayward Aquarite 940 40k gallon with extended life turbo cell$1183.74 (includes $500 state rebate, though I feel that should have been for the VS pump)
Anti Electrolysis inline zinc$140.09
14 40 lbs bags Omega salt$181.30
Install pump$210
Pentair 1 1/2 HP Superflo VS$1349
Install heater$495
Pentair cupronickel Mastertemp 400HD heater$3735.73
Miscellaneous plumbing parts$150

This will be the first pool I've ever owned, and while I wouldn't have minded to DIY some of these items, I'm not sure if I could have tackled them all (responsibly) before the start of the swimming season. Obviously prices are higher for individual items than what I would have paid myself, but I don't think they're crazy high?

Couple of questions:
- Does anything stand out as a red flag in this list? Brands or specific models we should avoid? Any upgrades that are worth it?
- Anything I'm missing? I haven't looked at automation at all, and don't really know how it all ties together with different brands.
- We currently have a fairly new Hayward non-VS pump, but our pool company strongly suggested we replace it for a VS and kept talking about the rebates that will end in 2021. I've read good things about the power consumption of VS pumps, but I feel like it will take a while to recover $1500 in electric costs.
- I really wanted an electric heat pump over a gas heater, mainly due to long-term costs savings and the possibility to offset costs with solar panels. Our vendor is recommending against it due to space constraints and convenience. I'm about ~10 inches short between two sheds to put a heat pump there with the minimum recommended clearance, but I could move one of the sheds over a little if need be. I live in MA, so swimming would be limited to May-Oct probably. Looking at the Raypak calculator, I'd be spending $3.8k/y on electricity, versus $5.2k/y on gas at 85 degrees. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
I do not see any glaring issues. The Pentair SuperfloVS is not controllable via automation but that does not seem an issue. I assume you would already have a standard timer that your SWCG can be wired to. Never rely solely on the flow switch as your safety device with a SWCG. They can explode if they are powered on with no water flow.
I doubt the zinc anode thing is necessary. Seems to be a regional thing.
The gas heater will warm your pool regardless of ambient temperature. A heat pump will only heat if the ambient temperature well above 50F.
Biggest thing in keeping a pool warm is using a cover.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

If automation was on my wish list, I would have to ensure I have 220V available and go with the Intelliflo, right? Does Pentair play along nicely with Hayward SWGs? Or do they all have to be the same brand?

You would need 220/240v

A non Pentair SWCG could be wired to turn on and off via the automation. But adjusting the % generation may or may not be possible, depending on brand.

Alfred,

In general, if you have an automation system, it is always best to use the same brand for the Automation, the VS pump, and the SWCG.

IntelliFlo pump's require 240 volts..

Unless you really "need" automation, I would go with the SuperFlo VS and the Hayward salt system.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.