First opening...first real thread. 30' radiant ABG with 4" coping.

I didn't get it at the pool store. He couldn't believe i wanted to use a full gallon of the 30+% stuff.
Thats what pool math says though.
Also told me the tabs are a pH of 6
and bleach is like 13.5.
Did admit the CYA would climb. He has been good with us.
Said the MA would drop my TA too much.
No hard sell on tabs or anything.

I didn't get it at the pool store. He couldn't believe i wanted to use a full gallon of the 30+% stuff.
Thats what pool math says though.
Also told me the tabs are a pH of 6
and bleach is like 13.5 and that is one reason my pH is so high.
Did admit the CYA would climb. He has been good with us.
Said the MA would drop my TA too much.
No hard sell on tabs or anything.

Is there any validity to his statements?

I don't recall the estimated pH of a chlorine tablet, but they are acidic, so they do have the potential to pull pH (and TA) down while driving CYA up. Bleach, when used at FC levels over 10, does temporarily increase pH which is why during a SLAM we test pH and lower it first, then after the SLAM when FC goes back down to normal the pH is fine. MA does lower TA, but it takes time. Your pH will drop faster which is why when treating a pool with high TA, you have to use the acid/aeration method as noted on the Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page.

Wow. Fill water is actually ph <7.5 and TA of 480!!!

[h=2]After heavy rain, TA dropped from 200 to 160[/h]

new levels
FC 5.5
cc trace (one drop)
ph 8.0 or so
CYA 50
TA 160

adding 13oz 10% bleach, 110 of 20• MA and aerating.​

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I were you, I would rely on the muriatic (liquid) acid as opposed to the dry stuff. It's much quicker and easier to administer to the pool without the muss & fuss of pre-dissolving. In addition, I think you will have an easier time hitting your pH target. Speaking of pH target, I would recommend making 7.0 your pH target. Some pools need to go just under 7.2 to see positive gains in changing the TA. Having a very high TA in your local fill water is not all that unusual as I've seen several other members post their fill TA as well in the 400s. It takes some owners a good part of the swimming season to finally get it down. :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.