Fire Extinguisher Type?

Even more important is to keep the muriatic acid well away from the chlorine and metal. It's fumes can mix with the chlorine fumes and make a toxic cloud. It's fumes can also cause metal to rust. I store mine outside in a vented bucket behind the barn where no critters go.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Scotland
Speaking of storage. A couple of months ago, we had someone come in to repair our garage door. He immediately asked if we had a pool. I said, "Yes, why?" Well, he then pointed out the rust on the metal components which apparently is caused by chlorine. The folks who owned the house before us stored all the chemicals in the "side garage" and was the culprit. I know they used pucks, but not sure if this is true for the liquid chlorine, too. I know that I can smell the tabs in our outdoor storage area (septic system pucks) but can't smell the liquid stuff that we do keep in the garage.

I would think a water mist extinguisher would be the last thing you would want to use in a pool chemical fire. Anything containing calcium would have an exothermic reaction when hydrated, which would seem counter-productive.

I would think a water mist extinguisher would be the last thing you would want to use in a pool chemical fire. Anything containing calcium would have an exothermic reaction when hydrated, which would seem counter-productive.
Very good point. In my former life, I was an AF flyer moving all sorts of cargo via a really big airplane. All of our extinguishers were the ABC type and were to be used for almost every fire conceivable on the airplane. That speaks volumes to the effectiveness of these extinguishers.

Because they utilize a dry chemical product, ABC extinguishers are very common for their all-in-one convenience and various applicability, so they cover the BIG 3 classes of fire:
Type A - Ordinary combustibles (wood, paper, cloth)
Type B - Flammable liquids (gas, oil, oil-based paint, etc)
Type C - Energized electrical equipment (wiring, breakers, fuse boxes, appliances, etc)

Some other extinguisher types are:
Type D - Combustible metals (magnesium, titanium, zirconium, sodium, lithium)
Type K - Kitchen/cooking appliances involving combustible cooking media (vegetable oils, animal fats, etc)

I did find the following though about "Mist" extinguishers:
Water Mist
Water Mist extinguishers are a recent development that extinguish the fire by taking away the heat element of the fire triangle. They are an alternative to the clean agent extinguishers where contamination is a concern. Water mist extinguishers are primarily for Class A fires, although they are safe for use on Class C fires as well. They contain de-ionized water making them the best extinguishers for protection of hospital environments, valuable books and documents, telecommunication facilities and “clean room” manufacturing facilities.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands today. :cool:

I am lost as to the connection of fires and pool chemicals.

- MA and chlorine are not flammable or cause fires
- TriChlor or Dichlor tablets do not cause fires
- Calcium when mixed with water can cause an exothermic reaction and heat but I am not sure it gets hot enough to start a fire
- Baking soda is not flammable

There are other safety issues with pool chemicals but I never thought fire was a hazard.

Because they utilize a dry chemical product, ABC extinguishers are very common for their all-in-one convenience and various applicability, so they cover the BIG 3 classes of fire:
Type A - Ordinary combustibles (wood, paper, cloth)
Type B - Flammable liquids (gas, oil, oil-based paint, etc)
Type C - Energized electrical equipment (wiring, breakers, fuse boxes, appliances, etc)

Some other extinguisher types are:
Type D - Combustible metals (magnesium, titanium, zirconium, sodium, lithium)
Type K - Kitchen/cooking appliances involving combustible cooking media (vegetable oils, animal fats, etc)

I did find the following though about "Mist" extinguishers:
Water Mist
Water Mist extinguishers are a recent development that extinguish the fire by taking away the heat element of the fire triangle. They are an alternative to the clean agent extinguishers where contamination is a concern. Water mist extinguishers are primarily for Class A fires, although they are safe for use on Class C fires as well. They contain de-ionized water making them the best extinguishers for protection of hospital environments, valuable books and documents, telecommunication facilities and “clean room” manufacturing facilities.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands today. :cool:

Interesting I would have thought Halotron was the best for not damaging stuff. We used in the data centers we worked in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting I would have thought Halotron was the best for not damaging stuff. We used in the data centers we worked in.
Yeah, I'm sure there are other products like that in use depending on the application. I looked-up the "Mist" only because the OP had mentioned something about it above. Lucky for us around pools, we should be good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.