Finding strange things in the pool

I am disappointed in your suggestion. Adding a small water source? I was expecting something like " add a alligator" :)
I figured sneaking in the shameless plug about my gopher fence was already pushing it. I tried the alligator, but the squirrels kept teasing him. I caught them riding him around one night. Then a raccoon got involved. It was a whole thing... didn't really pan out... 🐿+🐿+🐊+🐿+🦝=💥

I've found a small grass snake, several frogs, a couple of moles, since construction was completed in January. I had no cares about the moles. I hate them. And the gophers too. But they gophers have stayed out of my pool and fenced yard. I did use frog logs for the first half of this summer, until I realized they were starting to grow algae along the back edge where it met the tile. Then out they came. I guess I should have checked them more often and washed them off once in a while. Although they got sun bleached very quickly and started to look terrible. We had no frogs in the pool during the time of the frog logs. Before and after, yes. I may order some of the critter skimmer lids over the winter. I am a little concerned about those however since I use the skim pro towers and those and the critter skimmer ramp will be fighting for the same real estate.

--Jeff

I’d much rather have snakes than spiders!😮

Oh, I don't count those. Wolf spiders in the skimmer baskets. Sitting on top of my skim pro handle! That's when I use the fish net to get them and any junebugs and crickets that are all clinging to it off, so I can grab ahold without squishing a bunch of them. :sick:

--Jeff

Oh, I don't count those. Wolf spiders in the skimmer baskets. Sitting on top of my skim pro handle! That's when I use the fish net to get them and any junebugs and crickets that are all clinging to it off, so I can grab ahold without squishing a bunch of them. :sick:

--Jeff
We don't get a lot of those but they have to be the scariest spider alive in looks..Plus they aren't too scared of humans

We don't get a lot of those but they have to be the scariest spider alive in looks..Plus they aren't too scared of humans

No idea about their fear of us, but they are terrifying when they have all the babies on their backs and you step on it. :oops: Those little ones scatter like they were shot out of a gun, and there's so many! I almost torched my apartment building that night. LOL!

Have to get them out of the skimmer slowly when its that time of year. I get them to climb in the net and then shake them off in the yard, then they scatter.

--Jeff

• Wow
Reactions: markayash
Oh yah the wolf spiders with babies on backs we get a ton of those here!

This summer I got a tiny plastic kiddie pool for my small kids and first morning after using I turned the thing over and found a dead cockroach. Turns out this area of Northern cali is notorious for this species of outdoor roaches and they love water. May have to rethink this pool build lol

I worked with a guy in high school who was terrified of spiders but would jump in a overgrown creek to catch a snake..One day I was chasing him around the shop with a spider and the next day he brought in a 6' snake and said " I got something that will eat your spider"..I didn't stick around :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a Nature2 type device?

n2_pebbles.jpg

That looks exactly like my problem. I think the Nature2 cartridge has not been changed in 14 years and the bits of silver and copper have eroded so much they are coming out of the cartridge and ending up on the bottom of the pool or in the pump basket. They look shiny in water, but turn black as soon as they're exposed to air.

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpeg
    IMG_0487.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 6
That looks exactly like my problem. I think the Nature2 cartridge has not been changed in 14 years and the bits of silver and copper have eroded so much they are coming out of the cartridge and ending up on the bottom of the pool or in the pump basket. They look shiny in water, but turn black as soon as they're exposed to air.
That's why I recommended that you remove the cartridge in your other thread.

• Love
Reactions: ralphsyv
FYI for anyone following.

Years ago our oldest had to bring in stuff for biology, mainly bugs. He found everything he needed in our skimmer. He did quite well in that class. And made a lot of friends sharing his 'bounty.'

I still remember the huge splash one night. A momma possum fell in our pool. We got her out but one of her babies was in our skimmer.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.