What is this? Black algae or something else?

R

ralphsyv

The pool service said it is black algae. Looking closer it looks like some white or silver spots surrounded with something black - basically cheerio size black circles. Some of the Paramount cleaning nozzles have a lot of algae? and black junk or mineral staining? It's hard to get a good photo. IMG_0524.jpegIMG_0525.jpegIMG_0526.jpegIMG_0527.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The brown on the nozzles is iron. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) will clean that up easily.

I suspect that the black is iron, copper or another metal.

Vitamin C should clear the black if it's metal.

Thank @JamesW . That's a fixed nozzle that was directed the wrong way and looks like it made a big brown stain up the wall. I turned it around to aim it toward the drain. There's also one rotating nozzle that pops up and down, but doesn't rotate like it should and is dirty/stained in that area.

I'm not going to remove the mineral cartridge right now because the plastic housing is completely deteriorating. I can't open it or it will break.

@JamesW Thanks for your help! I think the silver from the Nature2 cartridge has deteriorated and small nuggets of silver are escaping through the cartridge and they end up on the bottom of the pool and causing the black stains. I'm in Chicago for the next month, so I can't fix it until I get back to Florida.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.