Finally got our pool but......

D&GNewbies

Jun 25, 2020
Iowa
So our pool was just installed Saturday and, we tried hooking up the Wanda whale auto vacuum yesterday and I have NO clue what I’m doing. I turned off the pump and got all the water in the hose and then attached the flow gauge and then hooked up the cone to the skimmer hole. Turned the pump on and then sand came out of the jet. The flow meter didn’t show any change. We have sand on the bottom of the pool because of the kids getting in right away and tracking it in. The only chemicals the pool guys put in was a stain and scale pre treatment that they said had to run for 48 hours and then bring in a water sample. So we wanted to run the vacuum so we could get the sand out. They didn’t have the hose for the manual vacuum cause it’s back ordered. Anyone know how to hook up Wanda? Also, we had 3 water boatman now in the pool! The pool place put the first chemical in yesterday. Something to remove metals. We are supposed to take a water sample in tomorrow and get the chemicals we need. I’m worried about the water boatman because it means algae. Please help!!!!!

Ok D&G, you need to decide if you are going to follow pool store advice or if you are going to follow TFP methods. You can’t do both or mix and match.
You have a good test kit. You can test the water yourself and get this pool going without wasting anymore time and money at the pool store. We hope you decide to follow the TFP method. If you do then please continue below.
First thing you need to do is put 3ppm of liquid chlorine/ bleach. If you just filled on Saturday then you don’t have algae yet but you will soon if you don’t get chlorine in the water.
Then put enough CYA in a sock To get to 40ppm. hang the sock in front of your return.
Use PoolMath to help you calculate how much of each to use.
post the rest of your test results here and we can advise further.
last step for now I s to stay out of the pool store, but give them a call and ask them exactly what products they have added so you know for future reference.
Are you on well water?

Ok D&G, you need to decide if you are going to follow pool store advice or if you are going to follow TFP methods. You can’t do both or mix and match.
You have a good test kit. You can test the water yourself and get this pool going without wasting anymore time and money at the pool store. We hope you decide to follow the TFP method. If you do then please continue below.
First thing you need to do is put 3ppm of liquid chlorine/ bleach. If you just filled on Saturday then you don’t have algae yet but you will soon if you don’t get chlorine in the water.
Then put enough CYA in a sock To get to 40ppm. hang the sock in front of your return.
Use PoolMath to help you calculate how much of each to use.
post the rest of your test results here and we can advise further.
last step for now I s to stay out of the pool store, but give them a call and ask them exactly what products they have added so you know for future reference.
Are you on well water?
It’s city water cause the fire department came and filled our pool. I’m running to the store this morning to get liquid chlorine and what I need To add cya. Thank you so so much!!!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.