Finally Finished! - New Build in Tampa, FL

I think I watered the shell for 7 days. PB said I didn't need to do that but I did it anyway. That was my experience that it slowed down after gunite...but then REALLY slowed down after the waterline tile and coping was installed. But at this point, I can't remember, I just know I'm not done yet, lol.

Reactions: Taimon
SWEET!!! That looks great! Good job going ahead and watering the shell. Better safe than sorry!

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

After gunite was done there was a few weeks of no activity, but then earlier this week plumbing got started and now today pool equipment is starting to get installed. I think overall the project has been going smoothly.

Unfortunately I see they installed a Jandy CS150 cartridge filter rather than the 48sq ft Jandy DE filter listed on the contract. I'll touch base with PB to find out whats going on with that, but I suspect I'll get a response along the lines of the DE filter being on backorder or something. So far I see the filter, VS pool pump, and NG heater have been installed. The spa blower also arrived but I see its still unopened in its box next to the pad, so I guess they'll install that later. The SWG still needs to be installed too but that package still hasn't arrived yet.

I have read many on this forum saying they prefer cartridge over DE filters due to easier maintenance, so perhaps I'll let this one slide? Does anyone think a CS150 is a terrible downgrade? Based on Jandy's website it seems the CS150 would be OK for my pool size. Does anyone have a similar size pool in the 10K - 15K gallon range with either a CS150 or DE48 (or similar) that feels like they have to clean their filter way too often?

Also attaching some pics of the equipment pad in case someone thinks something looks poorly done.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Attachments

• AE8A9B35-AEB0-48C0-AFF0-02FFB8364C9A.jpeg
    AE8A9B35-AEB0-48C0-AFF0-02FFB8364C9A.jpeg
    515.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 8EA882E8-0093-43CD-B6EA-A68D3CDDDA55.jpeg
    8EA882E8-0093-43CD-B6EA-A68D3CDDDA55.jpeg
    446.8 KB · Views: 52
Currently going into week 10 of the build and today the tile and coping was completed. A couple pictures are attached. So far I’m happy with my design choices.

The footers and deck should be up next, but so far the pavers have not been delivered yet so hopefully they show up sooner than later.

Attachments

• F198A65D-52C0-4893-A63B-648AEA2861DA.jpeg
    F198A65D-52C0-4893-A63B-648AEA2861DA.jpeg
    709.5 KB · Views: 72
  • EF21A488-C4A8-451B-BB60-5AF28B331010.jpeg
    EF21A488-C4A8-451B-BB60-5AF28B331010.jpeg
    761.8 KB · Views: 71
I am currently in week 14 of the build and still waiting for the deck to get started. Luckily the pavers were recently delivered so I'm hoping the PB will start working on the deck in the upcoming week. According to the PM we are on track to finish sometime in April so fingers crossed. I believe all that's left at this point is deck, screen enclosure, and pool interior.

I'm beginning to think about ordering test kit. I was planning on the TF-100 from tftestkits.net, but I recall reading an old post from someone that mentioned needing the K-1766 to test for salt? Do I need the K-1766 if I will have a SWG?

After gunite was done there was a few weeks of no activity, but then earlier this week plumbing got started and now today pool equipment is starting to get installed. I think overall the project has been going smoothly.

Unfortunately I see they installed a Jandy CS150 cartridge filter rather than the 48sq ft Jandy DE filter listed on the contract. I'll touch base with PB to find out whats going on with that, but I suspect I'll get a response along the lines of the DE filter being on backorder or something. So far I see the filter, VS pool pump, and NG heater have been installed. The spa blower also arrived but I see its still unopened in its box next to the pad, so I guess they'll install that later. The SWG still needs to be installed too but that package still hasn't arrived yet.

I have read many on this forum saying they prefer cartridge over DE filters due to easier maintenance, so perhaps I'll let this one slide? Does anyone think a CS150 is a terrible downgrade? Based on Jandy's website it seems the CS150 would be OK for my pool size. Does anyone have a similar size pool in the 10K - 15K gallon range with either a CS150 or DE48 (or similar) that feels like they have to clean their filter way too often?

Also attaching some pics of the equipment pad in case someone thinks something looks poorly done.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
I have a 10k pool, CS200 with no cage. It's been great. I've gone several weeks without cleaning it. Right now I've been cleaning it more often due to pollen season.

I have a 10k pool, CS200 with no cage. It's been great. I've gone several weeks without cleaning it. Right now I've been cleaning it more often due to pollen season.
Thanks for the info! I decided to go with the CS150 since my PB said the CS200 was on backorder when I asked for a larger filter.

my PB said the CS200 was on backorder when I asked for a larger filter.
Go 300+.
I've gone several weeks without cleaning it. Right now I've been cleaning it more often due to pollen season
This is the PERFECT statement to sum up filter size. You 'can go several weeks' but will also clean it more often during pollen season. With a larger filter, you can go *all of the weeks*. I chose to clean mine once the pollen was done but it was solely for me. The filter would have gone all year, maybe 2.

The filter (and pump) is the backbone of your operation and any style filter is going to last you a decade or 3. A few hundred dollars for the upcharge is peanuts in the grand scheme of the build, and peanuts over the course of its life. You will appreciate the larger filter year over year, err, actually, you will be completely ignorant about it. Someone will ask when you cleaned it last and you'll have to go check the PSI that you wrote down somewhere because you surely won't remember it 5 months later. Yup !!! Still only 10% and I don't need to clean yet. Lalalalalalala. *go back to anything but watching the filter*

They all 'work' the same. The amount of work they make you do is night and day over their lifetime.

I 2nd that statement above. My pool is only 7K gallons. I have a Hayward C200S and wish I had gone bigger. Your pool is twice the size of mine, and you are looking at a filter that is 75% the size of mine. You'll be cleaning frequently, and if you miss will have issues with maintenance and clarity. I think the C200S is too small for you pool and would look at a filter at least 300 sq ft in size.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The gallons are all but irrelevant. Them trees in the background........ are WAY relevant. 😁 more surface area eqauls a larger drop zone or suck up zone if stuff is blowing around the yard. EA0E6F59-AE12-4E13-AB3E-AFFE4EDFB891.jpeg

He's going to have a screen so that will cut down on what gets in the pool
Lalalalalalalalalalala. Missed that part. :crazy:

Ok Taimon my comments stand for future readers with no cage. Your will work plenty fine enough and while bigger is always better, if you have to clean your filter once in the middle of pollen season, it's not that big of a deal. The rest of the year it will be plenty big enough if you don't expect a high bather load. Sunblock / body oils / etc are the next factor.

I 2nd that statement above. My pool is only 7K gallons. I have a Hayward C200S and wish I had gone bigger. Your pool is twice the size of mine, and you are looking at a filter that is 75% the size of mine. You'll be cleaning frequently, and if you miss will have issues with maintenance and clarity. I think the C200S is too small for you pool and would look at a filter at least 300 sq ft in size.

Thanks for your response. It looks like you also have a pool cage, how often do you have to clean your filter to keep your water clear?

Lalalalalalalalalalala. Missed that part. :crazy:

Ok Taimon my comments stand for future readers with no cage. Your will work plenty fine enough and while bigger is always better, if you have to clean your filter once in the middle of pollen season, it's not that big of a deal. The rest of the year it will be plenty big enough if you don't expect a high bather load. Sunblock / body oils / etc are the next factor.

Thanks for your replies. Does the pool cage make that big of a difference in how often I'll have to clean the filter? I could have pushed harder for a larger filter but honestly I'm afraid it would just delay my build like some of the horror stories I've heard. I know some people are on week 50+ of their 12 week build.

I don't think I'll have a high bather load and I figure cleaning once every several weeks wouldn't be that bad. Unless you suspect a 150sqft cartridge filter with my 13K pool would require more frequent cleaning than that to keep my water clear?

Does the pool cage make that big of a difference in how often I'll have to clean the filter?
Yes. Very much so. Leaves and the strings of pollen will be blocked entirely. While those usually end up in the skimmer, they are FILTHY and are long cleaned from you pool water by the time you empty the skimmer basket. The dusty stuff will still blow in, and you probably won't get all season, but it won't be bad with the cage.
I don't think I'll have a high bather load
Great. You could have had 3 households of family nearby and been the only one with a pool. If you are expecting a normal residential use from the pool, this filter will be fine. :)

Yes. Very much so. Leaves and the strings of pollen will be blocked entirely. While those usually end up in the skimmer, they are FILTHY and are long cleaned from you pool water by the time you empty the skimmer basket. The dusty stuff will still blow in, and you probably won't get all season, but it won't be bad with the cage.

Great. You could have had 3 households of family nearby and been the only one with a pool. If you are expecting a normal residential use from the pool, this filter will be fine. :)

Awesome, thanks! Definitely expecting normal residential use from only my immediate family.

Reactions: Newdude
Yes, the cage makes a huge difference. Initially, while the pool was clearing, I had to clean the filter every 6-8 weeks. Now (3 years later), I clean about once every 4-6 months. With a bigger filter I could easily go a full year. Without a cage you can cut those numbers in half.

It's not that hard to clean the filter, it just takes time, and the less I have to take the filter apart, the less likelihood that I'll have an issue with the filter components at some point in time.

The cost for a larger filter is usually a couple hundred bucks - well worth the larger filter area and lower maintenance in my opinion.

Yes, the cage makes a huge difference. Initially, while the pool was clearing, I had to clean the filter every 6-8 weeks. Now (3 years later), I clean about once every 4-6 months. With a bigger filter I could easily go a full year. Without a cage you can cut those numbers in half.

It's not that hard to clean the filter, it just takes time, and the less I have to take the filter apart, the less likelihood that I'll have an issue with the filter components at some point in time.

The cost for a larger filter is usually a couple hundred bucks - well worth the larger filter area and lower maintenance in my opinion.

Yeah thats kind of what I had in mind for cleaning frequency with the current filter size I'll have so thats good to hear. I definitely see where you're coming from in terms of bigger is better for just a couple hundred more dollars. I'll keep checking in with my PB on whether the larger sizes are still on backorder since I'm still just waiting for them to get started on the deck.

I want to clarify, I clean my filter every couple weeks even though I don't even see a pressure rise. I don't mind the 5 minutes to clean it, and it gives me peace of mind. Because I don't have a cage, I get larger debris and bugs in my filter and I like to clean it out.

Also, I had a very, very small filter before my renovation, and that I had to clean weekly. So even once a month or so feels luxurious to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.