Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2021
So Cal
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This may seem like a dumb question, but after the spa is heated and pool is used by a half dozen people who were over, does it make sense to run the circ/filter pump for an hour or two to circulate the water? Seems like it would but maybe it doesn't matter! Just curious on thoughts!

If you need to circulate in some liquid chlorine it makes sense. If the spa had been isolated from the pool and you do not have a SWCG adding chlorine during that time a few minutes to run chlorinated pool water through the spa would be a good idea.

Reactions: JMPool99
Run your spa spillover for 15 minutes and dump the spa water into the pool and get fresh chlorinated water into the spa.

Cool - thanks. That was kinda my logical thinking too -- at least get the water to circulate through. One of those things that seemed obvious, but every time I think something makes sense there seems to be a disclaimer - ha!

If you have automation, it will keep the pump running after you turn the spa off. If not, keeping it running with the heater off and the valves in spa position will cool the heater. Let it run like that for about 5 minutes and then change the valves to the "normal" position. Heater manufacturers recommend it be done this way to avoid thermal shock to the heat exchanger and internal parts of the heater by hitting it with cold water immediately after turning it off. Heaters get upwards of 2000 degrees in the flame area. Yes, 2000. Those parts are hot and need to be cooled slowly. You can add 50% to the life of a heater, according to manufacturers, by cooling them properly after use.

Reactions: JMPool99
Good Tip 1PoolMan1. I actually thought about that just guessing and always waited about 20-30 minutes if I could. Thanks for confirming -- looks like my intuition was right!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.