Filter Storage & Swap Set

wedward

Silver Supporter
Oct 20, 2018
McKinney, TX
I'm looking at getting a second set of filters for my C-4025, so I can quickly swap them out and get the pool back running, then clean the dirty ones in TSP/detergent, dry and store. I've searched around for any recommendations on storing the filters, and only see a few posts of people trying to clean the mold off the filters when put away wet. I'm looking for any recommendations on storing them and how to best dry and prep for storage after cleaning. Or should they be stored wet in a higher chlorine level water solution?
Anyone try this before or have any tips, or horror stories? Thanks!

In the days when I would mess with TSP and cleaning, I would soak, rinse, them let dry thoroughly before storing. Where you store the carts should ideally be a dry location, but I keep mine in a shed outdoors (a bit humid in the summer) with no issues. Try to ensure rodents can't get to them to chew on.

At the end of the year I give mine a 24 hour soak and then spray clean. It takes about a week for them to air dry. As the top dries, the moisture wicks downward and makes the bottom wetter. So I flip the filters over each day. After 2 or 3 days there is usually no more puddle pooling off them and I will move them to my garage to finish drying, especially if there is rain coming.

I store mine inside the filter once they are completely dry, which also gets brought inside the garage. Without the filter housing to store them in, I would probably build a plywood box that would keep the mice out. I’m sure they would have a field day with the filter paper/media if they got a hold of it.

Depending on the size of the filters you can probably get a Rubbermaid tub or clear plastic bin with a latchable top that they will fit in.

W,

While I see nothing wrong with swapping cartridges, I really don't see any advantages.. I believe that soaking them does nothing but make them look pretty, but I really doubt it makes them work any better.

I shut my pool down for about two hours, twice a year. That is about how long it takes me to open the filter, removed the cartridges, spray clean them, and put everything back together.. During this time I also clean the pump basket and inspect the SWCG and clean if necessary.

Obviously, I do this on a nice sunny day, where I don't mind getting a little wet. :mrgreen:

Whatever works for you works for me, but I wanted to make sure other readers did not get the impression that soaking was a mandatory requirement.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim - definitely not a requirement - except when I'm just not feeling like cleaning right away. It seems I have to clean my a lot -pollen, leaves, buds this time a year keep the water hazy and I'd rather just plop in a fresh set and let the others soak until I can get to them. I just never seem to want to do it when it needs to be done. I think the only advantages here for me are to give me some flexibility as to when to clean and store them, so the soak gives me a small buffer.

I did use them for a while, but they ended up being more trouble than it seemed worth it. Maybe I need to try again. The main issue is all the leaves and junk that falls into the pool - about 3-4 times a year and clog up the skimmer with the netting. I trimmed back the trees, but they still drop these fluffy green pods that spread tons of pollen, and the skimmers get blocked up. I've been through a poolskim and another device to help catch the garbage but they wont stay attached on the outlets - especially when the Dolphin cord hits them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.