Selenap

May 28, 2021
Waynesville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I have a new this year cartridge filter. I clean it regularly. I have no water problems and the out flow is fantastic. On high speed the pump will push water clear across the pool. My issue is the rising pressure. It went from the standard 11psi to 14psi. I cleaned the impeller. There is no blockage in my lines. The filter is nearly white still. Cleaned in between the pleats. My valves are wide open. I have a simple waterway 2hp 2sp pump with a single cartridge filter. It’s 150sq feet because that’s all I could find this year. 200 is max for this filter system. One skimmer. One return. Standard agp, except it’s big. So. What is building the pressure you think? Could this basic cheap generic filter just be crapping out? Edit to say I don’t use any chemicals other than bbb, acid and cya as needed. Nothing other than bleach and a little cya for two months.

S,

If the filter builds up pressure, and after you clean the filter, the pressure goes back down, then something is clogging the filter.. The most likely suspect is algae, even if the water is not green.

I suggest that you do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) just to make sure.. SLAM Process

Tell us what your CYA level is and where you try to keep your FC...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Selenap
my chlorine loss is 2 ppm a day. Currently my chlorine is 7.5ppm. Cya is currently 50 ppm. I clean the filter, put it back in and it’s still reading 14 psi. Since I’m up nights cause I’m a nightshift worker, I know for a fact I don’t lose enough chlorine to even measure. I checked last evening. 7.5ppm. When I got up at 10 am no change. I will bet my next paycheck I’ve got no algae in my pool. Bugs pine needles locust leaves and bird poop but no algae. What I might do is a good soak in some tsp in case I’ve somehow built up a lotion film. I’m virtually the only one who uses this pool, about 3 days a week.

My bad. Cya is 60. I’ve updated my logs. I’ll also mention that the filter pressure doesn’t reduce when I clean it. It just slowly rose and stuck there. It’s not got any higher. Or lower. It’s just odd because I’ve used this system for 6 years now and it’s never rose over 13 unless dirty. But cleaning would drop it back down to 11.

S,

Sounds like you are right then.. I'm used to things like.. I run my FC between 1 and 3, etc... :mrgreen:

I misunderstood.. If you clean the filter and the pressure is still higher than normal, then I would look at the cartridges...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Selenap
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.