Filter pressure??

George in Georgia

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2010
Jonesboro, GA
I'm facing a filter replacement. The current filter, a Pentair 145322, has sprung a tiny leak. Since the pump/filter is in a pool house, a leak is a problem, in any case the leak would probably get worse. This is a plastic tank, the leak seems to be on a seam. Checking a local dealer for a replacement - fiber glass reinforced - they were disturbed by the 30psi clean pressure recommended by the prior installer. The pump is a Challenger PAC-FAB 1 hp, driven by a 1 hp 230v motor. Looking at the sticker on the filter body I see that the filter is rated for a max working pressure of 40psi. I wonder if the salesman for the failed unit was ill-informed.
Would a larger, fiberglass reinforced tank be a good move? Pool is about 22,000 gallons, plumbing is 1 1/4 inch.

I don't think your filter should have a 30psi clean pressure. At that pressure there is something wrong in your filter.

Put your MPV on recirculate and see what the pressure is of your system without the filter in the loop.

How old is the filter? When was the last time it was opened up and the sand examined?

If the filter is leaking - apparently a hairline crack - the sand will be examined, so to speak, as it is emptied out of the leaking filter. The mpv is on circ; pressure gauge shows about 7 psi. Running on filter for a minute or two showed about 22 psi. Gauge is liquid filled, they last much longer. Tomorrow I intend to loosen the mpv fitting from the pump, possibly there is a leak there and not in the filter body. My first assumption when I saw water on the floor was that the motor/pump gasket was leaking. Since the motor is under warranty I called the installer, he said the filter is leaking. We'll see in the morning.
BTW, if you feel 30 psi clean is too high, what should the pressure be?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.