Filter and Pump upgrade suggestions?

Trireme32

Jul 29, 2021
Dallas TX
6000 gal vinyl Intex (Bestway) above-ground pool. Current pump is 1500gal/hr, 0.5hp pump. The sand filter is 10” across, 0.54ft2.

Right now the sand filter is small enough that I have to backwash at least twice a week (family of 5 — I can get maybe 2 days of all of us swimming in it before I have to backwash), and the pump is too weak — even with having blocked one of the inlets so the surface skimmer works effectively, and even after a full backwash and the pump at full speed, it barely moves the water.

I know it can be bad to get a pump that’s too strong for the pool (22x12x48 6000 gal oval), and it’s important to make sure the filter and pump sizes compliment each other.

I’m looking to upgrade them, without breaking the bank. What are some reasonable upgrade ideas, or at least specs — pump power and filter size — I should be looking at?

Thanks!

6000 gal vinyl Intex (Bestway) above-ground pool. Current pump is 1500gal/hr, 0.5hp pump. The sand filter is 10” across, 0.54ft2.

Right now the sand filter is small enough that I have to backwash at least twice a week (family of 5 — I can get maybe 2 days of all of us swimming in it before I have to backwash), and the pump is too weak — even with having blocked one of the inlets so the surface skimmer works effectively, and even after a full backwash and the pump at full speed, it barely moves the water.

I know it can be bad to get a pump that’s too strong for the pool (22x12x48 6000 gal oval), and it’s important to make sure the filter and pump sizes compliment each other.

I’m looking to upgrade them, without breaking the bank. What are some reasonable upgrade ideas, or at least specs — pump power and filter size — I should be looking at?

Thanks!
how is your chemistry? intex pumps and filters are undersized but they CAN work if you test and keep your chemistry correct. I did it with one of their tiny cartridge filters for a couple of years, and I live where dirt and dust pours out of the sky until it rains in July.

how is your chemistry? intex pumps and filters are undersized but they CAN work if you test and keep your chemistry correct. I did it with one of their tiny cartridge filters for a couple of years, and I live where dirt and dust pours out of the sky until it rains in July.
My chemistry is fine and the pool is beautiful. My biggest concern is that I don’t want to have to backwash as often, and I would like more pump power. Vacuuming is a pain and I have a dead spot where stuff gathers and doesn’t make it to the skimmer.

what are your numbers? how are you testing?

the easiest thing would be to get a larger intex type pump and filter since then you don't have to mess with changing all the fittings, but in general pool places will oversize pumps and undersize filters, so if you don't go with a pre-selected set, get the biggest filter (within reason) that will run on a pump.

in the meantime if you haven't done a through the wall skimmer, that is a great, pretty easy mod that will really help keep debris from sinking. get disposable hair nets to line the basket and they will also pre-filter a LOT of stuff. the hang over intex skimmers are ok, but they don't stay in position real well with people in the pool.

you can vacuum to waste to save filter backwashing as well as just siphon over the top. if you do get a larger pump, go ahead and get one of the intex "robot" cleaners, and you won't have to vacuum at all. :wink:

Similar setup to mine. Just upgraded to a 1hp and 18" Hayward filtration system (paid $519 from Doheny's) with 1.5" PVC plumbing. I backwash maybe once a month.

what are your numbers? how are you testing?

the easiest thing would be to get a larger intex type pump and filter since then you don't have to mess with changing all the fittings, but in general pool places will oversize pumps and undersize filters, so if you don't go with a pre-selected set, get the biggest filter (within reason) that will run on a pump.

in the meantime if you haven't done a through the wall skimmer, that is a great, pretty easy mod that will really help keep debris from sinking. get disposable hair nets to line the basket and they will also pre-filter a LOT of stuff. the hang over intex skimmers are ok, but they don't stay in position real well with people in the pool.

you can vacuum to waste to save filter backwashing as well as just siphon over the top. if you do get a larger pump, go ahead and get one of the intex "robot" cleaners, and you won't have to vacuum at all. :wink:
Thanks for all that! I’m not sure why you think I’m having chemistry issues. At any rate, what I’m looking for right now is suggestions for filter and pump size for an upgrade. You say to go with a bigger intex set, or to get the biggest filter that will run with the pump I choose. That’s exactly what I’m looking for guidance on — pump and filter sizes.

The entire pool setup was like $600 on sale at Costco so I don’t want to drop over $500 on a pump/filter, but I don’t want to have to constantly backwash either.

because so many come here with similar questions and it is so often a chemistry problem. they say everything is fine, and post pool store results. then when they get a good test kit and test their water themselves, we see what is really happening. and then we help them fix it.

my other suggestions were for other ways to help keep the filter you have functioning for very little money, as you indicated not wanting to spend too much.

yeah the problem with these funny little pools being inexpensive - all the stuff you need to upgrade seems to cost so much. my stairs cost more than the pool. LOL

I’m contemplating new stuff too. What I got was the upgrade they had for the pool package I got. That’s as big as I can get for an agp without going to inground pool equipment. I just can’t figure out how big I need to go. Pressure, gpm, head, all that junk is goobly gook. I don’t get it. I never will. I just want to know what to buy and I’ll buy it. Lol. Why is that so hard? There are some really smart people on here that know this stuff. It involves math. I can’t do the math. So don’t get frustrated. Unfortunately it does cost money to upgrade. It’s not fair. They should pair appropriate equipment to these pools, not just good enough to get by.

Reactions: Pv2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.