Filling up pool for the 1st time

Regarding the "hydro aeration technology"... I don't know anything about that. What I do know, is that nothing is needed in a typical outdoor swimming pool other than CYA and chlorine, a little acid or borax if the pH won't stabilize on it's own, and possibly a little calcium if its too low. That's it. For the last two+ years, all I've put in my pool is: chlorine, muriatic acid, CYA, salt and water. And people. That's it, absolutely nothing else. My water is crystal clear, and 100% safe for swimming. (I adjust CH by alternating softwater (CH-free) and city water (CH-rich), and my TA stays put). Most everything else others will claim about what your pool needs is likely hooey.

Because all those bubbles might affect your pH, I would leave the hydro aeration off for now, and see if you can balance your water with chlorine, cya and acid. Once you're confident you know how to do that consistently, then you can start fooling with the aerator to see if that does anything for your pool. My guess is, it might mess with your pH a bit, and it might look cool, but not much else.

Last edited:
The local pool stores do not sell liquid chlorine, not sure why ?.

but I manage to find a company selling bleach as per attached pic. Can it be used for pool?
I'm not sure if that sheet describes all the contents, nor how to translate it into the % of chlorine you'll need to use in Pool Math. Does the label list the ingredients? Or does it mention any other ingredients besides chlorine?

You don't have to use chlorine from a pool store. What about a grocery store? Can you not purchase laundry bleach? Without any additives?

Meanwhile, I'll reach out to see if what you found is going to work.

@kimkats, @mknauss, @JoyfulNoise can he use what he found? What does he enter into Pool Math?

I think he is going to have to play with the pool math numbers to find which one fits that bleach. I would error on the side of safe and call it 30% the first time and ONLY try to move the FC 5 points. Dose and test about 30 mins apart with the pump on. Let us know so we can learn from you!

There you go, ellislo. Plug 30% into Pool Math with your pool's water volume, and determine how much chlorine to add to get to FC 5. Pour it in very slowly, over a return, with the pump running (that's strong stuff) and then let it mix in real good. Kim suggested 30 minutes. Then test your FC again. If you get FC 5, then you're good to go. If not, then adjust your methods accordingly.

Then, once you figure out how much of that chlorine to use to move your FC the desired amount, go back to my earlier post (#60) to determine the feeder setting.

Then... go have a cocktail. You earned it!! ;)

Thanks @Dirk @mknauss @Texas Splash @kimkats for the advice.

Yesterday after our swim in the pool, I cover up the pool, and ran the pump for 8 hrs with 2 tablets. The following are the FC I got just now (25/1/20):

22/1/20
FC 0.2 (1 Tablets, Dispense rate: Max, 8hrs pump)
pH 8.0
TA 50

24/1/20
FC 0.2 (1 Tablets, Dispense rate: Max, 8hrs pump)
PH 7.4
TA 50

25/1/20
FC 1.0 (2 Tablets, Dispense rate: Max, 8hrs pump)
PH 7.4

It seems like adding more tablets does help to increase the FC. I am putting in 5 tablets now. Will play around with the number of tablets and pump operation hours. If this doesn’t work, then i will try the bleach method.

Attachments

• 2805C722-B84C-43D5-89F9-776BC629B6C1.jpeg
    2805C722-B84C-43D5-89F9-776BC629B6C1.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
Remember, the more tabs you use, the more your CYA (stabilizer) will increase which in-turn requires a higher FC level. Stay close to the FC/CYA Levels to ensure those two are balanced properly at all times to avoid algae. In most cases, liquid chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite) is your water's best friend with relatively pure chlorine and no chemical side effects. Have a nice weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yesterday after our swim in the pool...
If this doesn’t work, then i will try the bleach method.
OK, don't say I didn't warn ya! ;) An FC of 1, with people using the pool, is asking for trouble. You might be fine, you might end up with algae. I'll only bug ya this last time: get your FC up to 5 right away, then fool with the feeder...

Sounds like ’proceed with my own risk’ ?. We are having Chinese New Year holidays right now, hence, will only be able to get the bleach on 28 Jan. Just hope the tablet will do the trick for the time being. If only I am living in The States, then I wouldn’t have so much problem in sourcing the these pool chemicals ???.

Well, it's not just your risk, but your guests' too. It's not just about protecting your pool from algae, but also protecting swimmers from all the nasties that get into a pool, especially the nasties that swimmers bring into the water themselves. I'm not being particularly sensitive to your challenges for acquiring all the pool chem's we here take for granted. Sorry 'bout that. Just do the best you can, and get your FC up as soon as possible. You might consider limiting the swimming until you do, for both the swimmers' sake and for the pool's.

Last edited:
Yes @Dirk i wouldn’t want to deal with an algae outbreak, while I am still juggling with all these pool chemistry ? . But you are right, I managed to raise my FC by limiting swimming, so will keep on doing it until I get to FC 5. But if I overshoot the FC, I will not be able to track it as my test kit can only go to FC 5 only ??‍♂️?. I should be able to track all the chemistry once I receive my LaMotte 7022 mid of February (it took 2 months from order to delivery ??‍♂️)......

Attachments

• E0304DA5-E54D-42AE-A353-9F859FFDAA25.jpeg
    E0304DA5-E54D-42AE-A353-9F859FFDAA25.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 1
Higher than FC5 won't cause any issues...
Managed to raise the FC to 5.0. But PH dropped to 6.8. I have removed the pool cover and I am now running the pump and having the aerator at pool inlet turned on to raise the PH before jumping into the pool. (Still waiting for my soda ash to be delivered to me)

Attachments

• 5E7E47B6-A302-48C9-81D9-B72D63087350.jpeg
    5E7E47B6-A302-48C9-81D9-B72D63087350.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2
Well done. In your pool schematic drawing you show a return in addition to the LED sprayer. Does the return have an adjustable eyeball-type fitting? If so, point it upwards to ripple or break the surface. Any movement of the surface will help raise the pH. If you can aim the sprayer, do so to maximize its affect on the surface.

I built these out of PVC plumbing parts to raise my pH. They screwed into my return's threaded eyeball sockets:

aerators.jpg

My kids and their friends (total 8 persons) were in the pool splashing and swimming just now for about 2 hrs. I tested the FC before they got into the pool and the reading was 5, after they finished, i took another reading, which showed FC about 2 (pic attached). The pump was off while the kids were in the pool (hence, no chlorine dosing). Is this normal for the FC to drop so much?

I have been covering my pool (pic attached) all the time whenever i don't use the pool to minimise any bugs/leaves/dirt/bird droppings from getting into the pool. As i am living in a tropical country, this will resulted the water getting warm, will there be an issue? The pool cover also minimised aeration, which can reduce PH (as CO2 cannot outgas? i read some where in TFP). Generally, do you guys always cover the pool?

Attachments

• IMG_5621 - Copy.JPEG
    IMG_5621 - Copy.JPEG
    377.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 5CB74798-D198-4F4A-8325-57560EEC034D.jpeg
    5CB74798-D198-4F4A-8325-57560EEC034D.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 15
you
Well done. In your pool schematic drawing you show a return in addition to the LED sprayer. Does the return have an adjustable eyeball-type fitting? If so, point it upwards to ripple or break the surface. Any movement of the surface will help raise the pH. If you can aim the sprayer, do so to maximize its affect on the surface.

I built these out of PVC plumbing parts to raise my pH. They screwed into my return's threaded eyeball sockets:

View attachment 125878
Nice in ground pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.