Filling pool with hyperchlorinated well water

Feb 26, 2018
Houston, Texas
Here is my scenario.... I am going to shock my well with 3 gallons of bleach to kill an iron bacteria in the water. Between the water column in the well and standing water in various tanks and plumbing, I am looking at about 700 gallons of water I need to shock.

After I let the chlorine sit in the well for 24 hours, I need to pump water from the well until all the residual chlorine is removed. There are a lot of recommendation of what 'not' to do with the hyperchlorinated water, but not many recommendations of what to do with it.

Can I safely use this water to fill my Intex 12x24 (~9000 gallon) pool? If I did the math right, assuming no loss of chlorine, 3 gallons of 6% chlorine in 9,000 gallons would be 21ppm. However the initial feed from the well could be as high as 200ppm. I expect there is no CYA in the water from the well. My thinking is:

1. Fill the pool with ~4000 gallons of water (0 ppm Chlorine)
2. Shock the well with 3 gallons of chlorine (200ppm Chlorine)
3. Wait 24 hours
4. Finish filling the pool with the remaining 5000 gallons (21ppm Chlorine).

Am I crazy?

The iron being added to your pool may not be great. The well water will have CC in it and not FC if it has killed any organics (bacteria). So that may not be all that great either.

I assume you do not have a sewer connection to dump it down.

The iron being added to your pool may not be great. The well water will have CC in it and not FC if it has killed any organics (bacteria). So that may not be all that great either.

I assume you do not have a sewer connection to dump it down.
We are in the country so no sewer is available. I have other options of disposing of the hyperchlorinated water, if not putting in the pool. I just thought using the water in the pool would be a elegant solution to the problem of disposing of the water and of filling up the pool.

I just thought using the water in the pool would be a elegant solution to the problem of disposing of the water and of filling up the pool.
It all depends on the contaminants you will be getting along with that water. I am not sure it is worth it, but that is up to you.

Reactions: jshearer
It shouldn't be a problem to use it in the pool from a microbial perspective. I wouldn't worry about the combined chlorine either as that should burn off easily with sun exposure.
Do you know what the well water chemical analysis looks like? I'm wondering if the metal content may be an issue for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.