Filled in pool

Dterry2nd

In The Industry
Jul 1, 2018
Buffalo / ny
Well I have read plenty on here about digging out filled in pools. I’ve been in this house for ten years now with two young kids. Time to upgrade to a real pool so my question is. Above ground new. Or dig and and bring back to life.
My neighbors confirm that the pool was filed in because of lack of use. The bottom was left intack. They used the floor drain to allow drainage.
I Am mechanically inclined and take care of a 189,000 gallon pool at my school I supervise facilities for

hoping some others can chime in that did this dig out projects. It’s not a huge pool. But it’s concerte and very solid. I can see down the sides in many places where the dirt has washed down and sides look pretty decent.

Depends on financial resources. Bring the old pool back to life could be a rewarding experience. At the very least you will certainly have a story to tell :)

Go to your building department & see if a pool removal permit was ever opened & the related criteria.

A liner pool will be less challenging to bring back from the dead.

The two somewhat recent threads kicking around, were quite lucky.

Looking at photo, is ground saturated or exceptionally soggy inside perimeter? That makes me wonder if the floor was punched out.

I LOVE the reviving of old pools!

What are the dimensions of the pool? I never can tell from photos. For me, the size would help me decide whether it's worth the effort and expense. I like as much water as I can get to swim, float, and play in! I'd be thinking, "Would the dug out pool or above ground pool give me more water to play in?!" I'm a greedy girl when it comes to pools! Lol!!

Can't wait to see what you decide!
Suz

The pool looks to be in solid shape.
The neighbors actually helped the old owners fill it in. Only the floor drain was removed
I’ve been talking to some local pool places that have done this already. So I am going to dig it out. Pool place are offering few options to save it. If it’s a total loss then you knock walls down and re fill making grass cutting easier.

The ground ups is never to soggy but the grass grows ten times faster then the red if the yard. Everyone says it was filled in after the kids moved out. Lack of use. Everyone said it was a beautiful little pool

around the Edges I can see down about two feet where the dirt came away from the pool shell. And minus some little knicks looks like most is still nice and smooth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I’ve found the steps skimmer and shallow end floor.
Mite about 2.5 deep and goes to 5 feet deep. Area I dug out of sparkling white and gorgeous.
I am going to rent a bob cat and do a lot myself.
I am going to re surface the pool myself. Re pipe hydro test any existing lines myself. I already have a great filter

once the pool is dug out refinished. The following year I’ll do a cement walkway around it and add some fiber optic lighting.

Its going to be back breaking king buy a new pool is around 20 grand in ground. And 5 grand above ground

so yes I am going to refurbish and bring this shell back to life.

I have one of the threads about digging out a pool. While I am not an expert in this, I believe that I have learned quite a bit. Any questions or thoughts you have I would be glad to help.
Mine is the rectangle in ground with the mountains in the background.

58236adb73093ff57c8efa9214c08254.png

35f1b723286ebbfe4e34537e13f72d3c.jpg

Well I decided to dig a little by hand. And this is what I came across

- - - Updated - - -

This shell is holding water like crazy. The plaster is still around everywhere. Just minor chips so far.
One of my staff members knows pool tiling , Re-Plastering and concrete repair and will work for food and beer if I help and buy all materials.

Attachments

• 92D49465-5FCC-4929-9EF5-161D46A777D8.jpg
    92D49465-5FCC-4929-9EF5-161D46A777D8.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 323

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.