fighting these darn bugs...

Jun 19, 2017
Siloam Springs, Ar
ok, i am so sick of these bugs in my pool. i have done so much research and it all points to the fact that the main two types of bugs in pool either live on each other or algae. i have recently done the slam as advised here and let the free clorine drift down. now, i dont know if i could still have algae, because my clorine still hasnt come back down to normal range and i am not even running the SWG. it is fluctuating between 10 and 9.5. i also read on here that they can lay eggs on the liner above water line. i completly got a bucket of bleach water and went around entire pool with a brush. i then read about putting dawn dish soap in the water everyday. i have been doing that. i have to agree that i was a little leary of this. i always thought we werent suppose to put anything like that in the pool, but i did. after my slam i used muratic acid because my TA is running high. any help on these bugs would be great.TIA> i will post numbers and hopefully attatch photos.

FC-10.5
CC-0
PH-7.2
TA-140
CYA-70IMG_20201009_084109442.jpgIMG_20201009_084109442.jpg

You appear to have a bunch of flying ants. We get them in swarms 2-3 times each season. They settle on the water for about 1 day (maybe 2), then they're gone until the next swarm. There's nothing wrong with your water, it's just going to happen. Bugs are attracted to water for various reasons. Try to not let it "bug" you too badly. Just clean-out your skimmer sock and maintain your regular chemistry. Have a nice weekend. :swim:

You appear to have a bunch of flying ants. We get them in swarms 2-3 times each season. They settle on the water for about 1 day (maybe 2), then they're gone until the next swarm. There's nothing wrong with your water, it's just going to happen. Bugs are attracted to water for various reasons. Try to not let it "bug" you too badly. Just clean-out your skimmer sock and maintain your regular chemistry. Have a nice weekend. :swim:

thanks so much for helping me out. i clean my skimmer sock every morning. i usually dont worry about bugs, but there are literally hundreds of these lil boogers! i told my kids they must be breeding in here and then i rad about the larvae or eggs and i creeped out. they do look like ants with wings and the little ones look like gnats. will this clorine still come down on its own? and, same question with the TA and putting in the acid? thanks again.

The chlorine will eventually drop if none is being added. As our air and water temperatures drop, the FC doesn't get used as fast. The TA should fall slowly with acid dosages, but it may take a while if you aren't actively trying to lower the TA. If you need it to fall quicker, try the process in the link below.

Reactions: charliej
The chlorine will eventually drop if none is being added. As our air and water temperatures drop, the FC doesn't get used as fast. The TA should fall slowly with acid dosages, but it may take a while if you aren't actively trying to lower the TA. If you need it to fall quicker, try the process in the link below.

Thanks so much for your reply. this is actually what i had read and have been doing. the only way i have to get aeration is on my plunger valve i have a thing that creates alot of bubbles when you take the cap off. i just am not sure how long to leave it open. i like the way you explained this. i have read it on here before, but i didnt not realize it may take a while. i have been active in dosing it. also, didnt realize the temperature plays a part in my high clorine, but it sure makes sense. we are still having days its up in the 80's, but cool nights so that would make a difference.

They look like majority are fungus gnats. I see larva stage and pupa as well as adult. Not flying ants. They are probably breeding somewhere close by and then enter the water and then fall in. That’s just my opinion. I’m in Louisiana and it’s nothing but bugs. See wasp and moth and few random insects but for most part I truly believe fungus gnats or at least a similar type of gnat. Is it possible you have some other mold or algae issue outside of the pool due to damp conditions? And these can lay eggs down inside drains in homes water won’t bother them. Not sure if chlorine does or not. Probably not much cause I pour it in my drains regularly and they still find a way if my pipes don’t drain all the way out. Any water source is good enough for them. Sorry. Try a google on them you will see what I’m talking about. Notice some tiny whitish clear thin worm type things those r larvae usually have black dot at tip which is head capsule but once they emerge from that stage it is gone. Definitely annoying for sure. I’ve found more often the swarms I’ve seen here are termites when they do it like once per year but these can too. Good luck.

Reactions: charliej
They look like majority are fungus gnats. I see larva stage and pupa as well as adult. Not flying ants. They are probably breeding somewhere close by and then enter the water and then fall in. That’s just my opinion. I’m in Louisiana and it’s nothing but bugs. See wasp and moth and few random insects but for most part I truly believe fungus gnats or at least a similar type of gnat. Is it possible you have some other mold or algae issue outside of the pool due to damp conditions? And these can lay eggs down inside drains in homes water won’t bother them. Not sure if chlorine does or not. Probably not much cause I pour it in my drains regularly and they still find a way if my pipes don’t drain all the way out. Any water source is good enough for them. Sorry. Try a google on them you will see what I’m talking about. Notice some tiny whitish clear thin worm type things those r larvae usually have black dot at tip which is head capsule but once they emerge from that stage it is gone. Definitely annoying for sure. I’ve found more often the swarms I’ve seen here are termites when they do it like once per year but these can too. Good luck.

Thanks. I am really thinking you are right now. They didn’t swarm and then leave like they say flying ants do. They are still here, but much less of amount. They certainly are annoying. I noticed the different sizes also. I have no water or know algae as it has been very dry here. I’m telling you...by the time I use the net and go around once, there is many many more right behind what I just did. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.