Fiberglass pool reclamation project

Good morning folks🙂
The filter pressure increased 1.5 psi overnight and the visibility has increased from 2” to around 18”, I can just barely see an indication of the third step. Filter is doing work👍🏻
Foam is incredibly hard to scoop out with a net. I don’t think I’ll be able to get rid of the foam until I re-plumb the system and swap in the new pump. Too many leaks/places for air to get in. Got a tracking notice saying it will be here Monday. 😎
Pool is still consuming lots of chlorine, I’m fine with that, I’ll feed it. CC did drop from an average of 3 ppm down to 2 ppm over the last three tests. I’m catching up.
Nowhere near done but at least better:
C474FBE5-247B-4E9D-9348-AAB77C79F705.jpeg

Good morning and Happy Sunday everyone!
Ran a full panel today. The pool is still doing it’s thing, clarity improved slightly overnight again and the FC loss was only around 5 ppm, with only 1 ppm CC showing this morning so that’s evidence it is headed in the right direction.
I can see the 2nd step clearly, with a faint indication of the third step.
Filter is showing 9.5 PSI, a 4.5 PSI increase from the original 5 PSI. I’m waiting until tomorrow to clean the cartridges when I swap in the new pump.
Still lots of suds on surface, I installed a skimmer sock to help out.
I will be making an initial list for plumbing supplies and doing a Lowe’s run today in preparation for the pump arrival tomorrow. Picking up salt also but waiting until the new pump is installed to add it. Shooting for between 3200-3500 ppm.
FC was 16.5 ppm this morning, down from 21.5 ppm last night at 11pm. Still a substantial amount being consumed but less than what it was initially.
pH still 7.4.
CYA is 20-25 I think? The water is cloudy enough to add to the indication, but the dot disappeared right after the 30 ppm mark on the cylinder. I did add about a pound last night through the skimmer sock.
TA is 50.
CH is 150 ppm, was glad to see it wasn’t high enough to add to the cloudiness.
Did my first ever Salt test today, 400 ppm present so I will be adding 240 lbs prior to install the SWG. Hints or tips for adding 6 bags of salt?
E614FC14-33CB-40B9-9E89-9F4C1A2BCC35.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve reached the point where the pool is consuming small enough quantities of chlorine that I need to start really tracking overnight FC loss. Last night at 1030, the FC was at 6.5 ppm, I added a jug of 10% which mathematically raised it to 16.5.
This morning at 7am, FC was 15.5 ppm so that’s getting pretty good. From this point forward, I’m going to add right at dusk, then recheck in 30 minutes to get real numbers instead of just relying on the math.
I’m edging closer to having the pool sanitized.
Added a jug this morning, checked it 1.5 hours later and got 25.5 ppm FC. I may not need to add any chlorine for a while, I don’t want to have to wait days for it to come down and be swimmable after the SLAM.
Pretty happy with the progress. I added the first dose of chlorine at 10pm on the 8th. Not bad for 7 days.
Clarity continues to improve slowly. You can clearly see the third step now, with a faint indication of the 4th. Soon I will be “able to see the bottom of my ool.” 🙂
0C21C9D6-1C9D-4544-A88D-4DC8D8A5C533.jpeg7C7E6479-5A6E-43E4-B34C-F8534D82C33B.jpeg
Ed-sp.

I’ve reached the point where the pool is consuming small enough quantities of chlorine that I need to start really tracking overnight FC loss
It’s of little use without clear water. I mean clear-clear water. Feel free just for fun tho, most of us here tend to lean on the side of being ‘extra’. :)

Is it not possible to have a clarity issue that isn’t caused by active algae blooms?
I’m thinking that it will take what it takes, time wise, for the filter to scrub the dissolved organics and I won’t need to run ultra high chlorine levels once I pass the overnight FC loss criteria. Am I wrong?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it not possible to have a clarity issue that isn’t caused by active algae blooms?
You can totally have pollen or other debris clouding up the water. But to be on the safe side the # 1 SLaM exit criteria is clear water. So you don’t move onto the OCLT (in theory, feel free for fun) until you have the clear water.

Many times you’ve killed the algae but haven’t filtered out all the dead particles. So you may pass the OCLT but still have algae in the pool. The high FC will dissolve it and the filter will grab the rest. We also keep the FC up in case a second wave wants to grow. The extra time at SLAM FC ensures you never lose ground in the algae fight.

You’re doing awesome and have the upper hand now. Do not take your foot off the algae’s throat. Apply pressure and twist. :)

Reactions: shellsingleton
Any value in running long sweep 90° fittings on the pad? I’m positive the builder used regular 90° fittings underground, so the flow disruption is already present downstream.
This is one of those totally true things that has no value in practice. Yes flow is decreased but at such a minuscule level that nobody will ever push the limits installing a normal pool.

Reactions: shellsingleton
Last night I lost 7.5 ppm of FC, so you guys were right.
I didn’t bump up the chlorine yesterday from 830am to 9pm, it dropped from 25.5 to 3.5 throughout the day(low CYA, hard to measure due to cloudy water+leaks and makeup water).
I brought it back it up to 30 ppm (measured) last night, this morning was at 22.5 ppm.
I will add more CYA after I get the pump and SWG installed today. About to head to Lowe’s to get some 2”x1.5” adapters and get busy.
Water clarity continues to slowly improve. 4th step is visible, foam is gone from the surface.AF8DD8C5-FFBE-4511-A9A4-E466718A6A6D.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.