jesse7

May 23, 2021
St Augustine, Florida
We are building a beachfront home and the 40'x15' pool is the centerpiece of the backyard overlooking the ocean. We are scrimping everywhere, but we don't mind spending more money on the pool... without being stupid.

Our pool contractor has designed a very basic pool and we would prefer more water features, more lighting, full automation, etc. He is willing to do whatever we wish... we just need to set the pace.

Could you give me some feedback on our choices? We may have selected items that are too large or too small.
Also answer some specific questions?
I'm content to go "all Hayward" for easy OmniLogic functionality... convince me otherwise.
Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 12.27.53 PM.png

40’ x 15’ pool from 3.5’ to 6’ deep with the majority of the pool at 4’
pool spa next to a sun shelf
sun shelf next to stairs
safety bench in deep end
Approximately 16,722 gallons of water
We will have full solar panels so we will run everything with electricity.
St Augustine, Florida

PUMP Hayward TriStar VS 950 Omni #HL32950VSP 2.7hp
FILTER Hayward 425 sq. ft. Swim Clear Cartridge #C4030
AUTOMATION Hayward OmniLogic 4 Relay Base Panel #HLBASE
SALT CHLORINE Hayward TurboCell Extended Life Salt Cell, 25,000 g, 25 ft #TCELL925
HEAT PUMP Hayward HeatPro In Ground Heat Pump, 140,000 BTUs, Sq #HP21404T
SPA HEATER Hayward C-SPA Electric 11 KW 240V #CSPAXI11
CLEANING Quickclean System with sweeping in floor returns to main channel drain

PUMP
Every professional pool person I know says that I should not get a variable pump. However, it makes sense to me to go all the way with the TriStar VS Omni.
> Why do professionals not like variable pumps?
> Should I get the Tristar 900 or 950? or the Super Pump 700? for a 17,000 gallon pool?

FILTER
I don't see the benefits of the DE filter. Convince me ;-)
> Is the 425 sq ft C4030 a good match for the Tristar 900 or 950 Omni?

AUTOMATION
I'm prepared to go all in with OmniLogic.
> What problems will I have running all my equipment through OmniLogic?

SALT CHLORINE
> Is it worth it to do "extended life?"
> Is the S3 cell better other than the window?

HEAT PUMP
> There are too many Hayward choices. Which one should I choose and why?
> We are in Florida and we want a warm pool to swim year round. How many BTU's?

CLEANING
The Quickclean system seems good for $3,000. With sand and other debris, I don't want to vacuum manually or with a snake.
> I appreciate that this is a "no return" commitment. What bad experiences have you had?
> What is the history on the Quickclean system?

PIPING
2” PVC-40 pipe for water everywhere
> Is there a need for schedule 80 anywhere?
1” PVC-40 pipe for electrical everywhere with all sweep 90-degree turns

Drains
One “channel” main drain to compliment the quick clean system
One skimmer on west side, 10’ from the southwest corner designed to accommodate a high pool level
Two Pool Spa drains – one in the floor, one at the seats
Leveler drain/return located next to the skimmer or located in storage control room (or at south wall)
Pentair Automatic Water Filler with Fluidmaster Valve | White | T40FW

Returns
Quickclean return system
Pool Spa return system
Two bubblers at west 8’x4’ sun shelf, centered on 4’ and 2.5’/3.0’/2.5’ on 8’, with 1.5” LED light
CMP Brilliant Wonders 4” bubbler with 1.5” LED
One bubbler at east 8’x7’ sun shelf, centered both directions, with built-in LED light
CMP Brilliant Wonders 8” bubbler with built-in LED

LIGHTING
Five 1.5” LED lights on house wall centered on each 8’ section
8’ sun shelf ::: 8’ steps ::: 8’ blank ::: 8’ blank ::: 8’ safety bench
Depth to match the center of the second step (approximately 18” below coping)
8’ safety bench depth is 21” below coping, light at about 24” below coping
One 1.5” LED light in the pool spa on the north wall, centered on the 7’ side, 12” above the floor

> OmniLogic Lighting - I read the threads about how to use OmniLogic with OmniDirect with ColorLogic lights. I am still confused about the wiring. It seems that OmniDirect allows me to control each individual light with color and brightness. It would make sense to me to pull "home runs" for all 9 of my lights all the way to the OmniLogic box and connect to the box at 14v DC. However, the threads say that I need to pull the lights to one of the first four 120V AC relays. Does that mean that each of my lights needs its own transformer if I want to control each individually? I could probably group the 9 lights into 5 groups, but something does not make sense. Please send me links to figure this out.

> Hayward LED's - The forums are filled with stories of how expensive and horrible the Hayward LED's are... is that still true? I'm ready to jump to the CMP Brilliant Wonders 1.5" LED's and bubblers... but will this company still be in business in 10 years?

> Hayward 0.5" LED's - I could find no other 0.5 in LED's on the market. Is it dumb to install multiple 0.5" pipes for lights in my pool if Hayward discontinues this unique product?

> Bubblers with LED's - My contractor says that every bubbler with LED's he has installed has failed. Should I go with Hayward? Should I go with CMP Brilliant Wonders? Should I go with plain bubblers and no lights?

> Pool Spa Lighting - We are currently just going to do one 1.5" LED down low 12" from the bottom on a side that won't shine in our faces. Does anyone have some other creative lighting ideas for a 8' x 7' pool spa? I would use 2 of the 0.5" ColorLogic if I was not afraid to make the commitment. We don't have a waterfall... the water will just flow over two of the sides.

What else should I be thinking about?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to any of this that interests you!

I'm curious about the placement of the sunshelves...so for the East shelf, you will have your back to the ocean when you face towards the pool? Starting in July, I believe the law is that all new pools have to have variable speed pumps. Do you know what depth you want the sunshelves to be?

I'm curious about the placement of the sunshelves...so for the East shelf, you will have your back to the ocean when you face towards the pool? Starting in July, I believe the law is that all new pools have to have variable speed pumps. Do you know what depth you want the sunshelves to be?
Thanks for looking at it. The east pool spa is 8' wide and 7' deep. It is overlooking the ocean. We parked an identically sized sunshelf next to it with one 8" bubbler in the middle so that we could put two lounge chair on the shelf. Depending on what's happening, people could turn the chairs toward the ocean or toward the pool. On the west side we put an 8' wide 4' deep sunshelf with two bubblers for kids... next to the stairs that have the same dimensions. The sunshelves will match the first step... 12" below the deck.

I'm not sure, but the federal DOE regulations will be valid... but state and local codes need to align over time.

I'd highly recommend a VSP. What is the reasoning the "professionals" gave?
1) single speed or two speed pumps can run for a shorter period of time to do the job. 2) more technology that will eventually break 3) higher cost 4) with the two speed, you can run low speed to filter and then high speed when features are operating.

I get their points... but I'm good with the benefits of VSP.
Thanks!

We are building a beachfront home and the 40'x15' pool is the centerpiece of the backyard overlooking the ocean. We are scrimping everywhere, but we don't mind spending more money on the pool... without being stupid.

Our pool contractor has designed a very basic pool and we would prefer more water features, more lighting, full automation, etc. He is willing to do whatever we wish... we just need to set the pace.

Could you give me some feedback on our choices? We may have selected items that are too large or too small.
Also answer some specific questions?
I'm content to go "all Hayward" for easy OmniLogic functionality... convince me otherwise.
Thank you in advance.

View attachment 336395

40’ x 15’ pool from 3.5’ to 6’ deep with the majority of the pool at 4’
pool spa next to a sun shelf
sun shelf next to stairs
safety bench in deep end
Approximately 16,722 gallons of water
We will have full solar panels so we will run everything with electricity.
St Augustine, Florida

PUMP Hayward TriStar VS 950 Omni #HL32950VSP 2.7hp
FILTER Hayward 425 sq. ft. Swim Clear Cartridge #C4030
AUTOMATION Hayward OmniLogic 4 Relay Base Panel #HLBASE
SALT CHLORINE Hayward TurboCell Extended Life Salt Cell, 25,000 g, 25 ft #TCELL925
HEAT PUMP Hayward HeatPro In Ground Heat Pump, 140,000 BTUs, Sq #HP21404T
SPA HEATER Hayward C-SPA Electric 11 KW 240V #CSPAXI11
CLEANING Quickclean System with sweeping in floor returns to main channel drain

PUMP
Every professional pool person I know says that I should not get a variable pump. However, it makes sense to me to go all the way with the TriStar VS Omni.
> Why do professionals not like variable pumps?
> Should I get the Tristar 900 or 950? or the Super Pump 700? for a 17,000 gallon pool?

FILTER
I don't see the benefits of the DE filter. Convince me ;-)
> Is the 425 sq ft C4030 a good match for the Tristar 900 or 950 Omni?

AUTOMATION
I'm prepared to go all in with OmniLogic.
> What problems will I have running all my equipment through OmniLogic?

SALT CHLORINE
> Is it worth it to do "extended life?"
> Is the S3 cell better other than the window?

HEAT PUMP
> There are too many Hayward choices. Which one should I choose and why?
> We are in Florida and we want a warm pool to swim year round. How many BTU's?

CLEANING
The Quickclean system seems good for $3,000. With sand and other debris, I don't want to vacuum manually or with a snake.
> I appreciate that this is a "no return" commitment. What bad experiences have you had?
> What is the history on the Quickclean system?

PIPING
2” PVC-40 pipe for water everywhere
> Is there a need for schedule 80 anywhere?
1” PVC-40 pipe for electrical everywhere with all sweep 90-degree turns

Drains
One “channel” main drain to compliment the quick clean system
One skimmer on west side, 10’ from the southwest corner designed to accommodate a high pool level
Two Pool Spa drains – one in the floor, one at the seats
Leveler drain/return located next to the skimmer or located in storage control room (or at south wall)
Pentair Automatic Water Filler with Fluidmaster Valve | White | T40FW

Returns
Quickclean return system
Pool Spa return system
Two bubblers at west 8’x4’ sun shelf, centered on 4’ and 2.5’/3.0’/2.5’ on 8’, with 1.5” LED light
CMP Brilliant Wonders 4” bubbler with 1.5” LED
One bubbler at east 8’x7’ sun shelf, centered both directions, with built-in LED light
CMP Brilliant Wonders 8” bubbler with built-in LED

LIGHTING
Five 1.5” LED lights on house wall centered on each 8’ section
8’ sun shelf ::: 8’ steps ::: 8’ blank ::: 8’ blank ::: 8’ safety bench
Depth to match the center of the second step (approximately 18” below coping)
8’ safety bench depth is 21” below coping, light at about 24” below coping
One 1.5” LED light in the pool spa on the north wall, centered on the 7’ side, 12” above the floor

> OmniLogic Lighting - I read the threads about how to use OmniLogic with OmniDirect with ColorLogic lights. I am still confused about the wiring. It seems that OmniDirect allows me to control each individual light with color and brightness. It would make sense to me to pull "home runs" for all 9 of my lights all the way to the OmniLogic box and connect to the box at 14v DC. However, the threads say that I need to pull the lights to one of the first four 120V AC relays. Does that mean that each of my lights needs its own transformer if I want to control each individually? I could probably group the 9 lights into 5 groups, but something does not make sense. Please send me links to figure this out.

> Hayward LED's - The forums are filled with stories of how expensive and horrible the Hayward LED's are... is that still true? I'm ready to jump to the CMP Brilliant Wonders 1.5" LED's and bubblers... but will this company still be in business in 10 years?

> Hayward 0.5" LED's - I could find no other 0.5 in LED's on the market. Is it dumb to install multiple 0.5" pipes for lights in my pool if Hayward discontinues this unique product?

> Bubblers with LED's - My contractor says that every bubbler with LED's he has installed has failed. Should I go with Hayward? Should I go with CMP Brilliant Wonders? Should I go with plain bubblers and no lights?

> Pool Spa Lighting - We are currently just going to do one 1.5" LED down low 12" from the bottom on a side that won't shine in our faces. Does anyone have some other creative lighting ideas for a 8' x 7' pool spa? I would use 2 of the 0.5" ColorLogic if I was not afraid to make the commitment. We don't have a waterfall... the water will just flow over two of the sides.

What else should I be thinking about?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to any of this that interests you!
My pool contractor suggested that we change to a different salt chlorine system. What do you think of:
AutoPilot -- pool pilot total control system
Does it actually work?

Reactions: Omnicef
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.