FB Pool Group

She should be seeing it herself soon as all of those she knows using platforms get cyber bullied or have all kinds of other drama stirred up. Once she does join in, it will help her want to keep it to school/activities only and not be part of the nonsense
Oh we have seen it already with kids making fake accounts to post stuff about other kids. I don’t even let her get into pictures unless with other kids if they get posted on other kids accounts. Kinda hard to avoid that. But never a pic of just her.

Reactions: newdude
Kids are only allowed to use Apple devices and apps (text & FaceTime) with friends I know and always in my presence. When on FaceTime I make it point to pickup the screen and say hi to their friends so they know an adult is listening to every word. No computers or tech allowed in bedrooms or bathrooms. I have Screentime setup on every iPad with maximal parental controls and strict time limits on every app category. I have the usernames and passwords to every account they have. I block certain websites and ports directly at the router level and I have the router set to cutoff specific devices at certain hours.

NO TIK-TOK! Never.
No Facebook
No Instagram
No Snapchat
No Discord
NADA!!!

When they gripe about it I tell them that their devices are a privilege that I pay HUNDREDS of dollars for every month (ISP, Apple accounts, game accounts,etc). And it’s a privilege I will gladly take away if they abuse it or give me grief. Believe me, there’s plenty of other things I’d love to spend that expense money on.

I have to be the frickin computer/web-monkey tech of the family and I don’t even get paid for it …
I am dealing with this dilemma now - my daughter is 14 & heading to high school this year- all her friends have had phones with unfettered access since they were like 8! I can’t decide between a locked down iphone 📱 as u have described (i have an old one i can use) or a nokia dumb phone (I would have to purchase). She does multiple sports & currently has to borrow someone’s phone to text/call me if a game or practice gets done early etc. I know its getting bothersome for her & her friends. During the school year she will be traveling pretty far for some games.
It used to be that a teacher or coach would contact the parents but now they rely on the kids to pass along info since they all have phones. We currently have a chrome book with Family link limits & blocksi. The only “social media” she is allowed on is pinterest as there is a chat area that she talks to her friends in (which i can read).

The struggle is real......

This doc is very good. I would like to moderate some of the insidious effects of technology until my kid’s brains are a bit more mature. Heck even adults have moderation issues with it, it makes no sense to expect little kids to be able to moderate themselves. My daughter takes computer programming & coding in school so she’s definitely not technologically defunct. But the Click, click, ding & the subsequent endorphin rush has nothing to do with learning tech skills.

Reactions: HeyEng
Ha ha yeah I know what you mean. I follow the below group but it is maddening. I post once in awhile but they are dead set in their mind that chlorine is the enemy of all mankind.

Why would you subject yourself to such torment?!? Sounds like my crazy dog who is scared of lightning. Instead of trying to get away, he seeks it out. :oops:

Stay off Farce-book, it's useless... I truly believe with all my deepest conviction that if I had to choose between taking out Darth Vader or Mark Zuckerberg, I would have a hard time choosing ...
Not really a choice at all since Darth isn't real. I agree FB has very few redeeming qualities and has done nothing to help the deep divisiveness in regards to....well, everything on the freaking earth. I am very happy that when I was a kid "social media" was passing notes in class and hoping to not get caught by the teacher. No way I would want to be a kid these days.

Comic books, rock and roll, movies, television, heavy metal, social media... Every one's been blamed for corrupting the youth. Every parent who decided they needed to put a stop to this corruption made some excuse about how this time it's different . Hindsight always says otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: Pv2 and Oly
Comic books, rock and roll, movies, television, heavy metal, social media... Every one's been blamed for corrupting the youth. Every parent who decided they needed to put a stop to this corruption made some excuse about how this time it's different . Hindsight always says otherwise.
Before social media television was the worst it was and it is not even close to social media.

Social media is a different type of evilness... it is designed to be addictive and keep suggesting things to get people even deeper on the rabbit hole they find themselves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Before social media television was the worst it was and it is not even close to social media.

Social media is a different type of evilness... it is designed to be addictive and keep suggesting things to get people even deeper on the rabbit hole they found themselves.

I agree with this. The stuff polluting the minds of today's youth is like nothing before seen on this planet. It is easy to say our parents and their parents said the same thing about us, but that simply isn't true. The level of attention deficit created by social media and many video games is a species-killing event. When I was a kid we played video games when we were bored and had nothing else to do. Today's kids live for endless video games. I have said this many, many time. The Internet is the worst thing to ever happen to the human race and WILL be the downfall of it.

Reactions: AK-
It is easy to say our parents and their parents said the same thing about us, but that simply isn't true.
No, they did. Plenty of newspaper articles and opinion pieces cataloguing it. "Downfall of the human race", pretty much every word the same.

And every generation looks back with hindsight and laughs at how silly it all looks now. But I know, I know. tHiS tImE iS dIfFeReNt

No, they did. Plenty of newspaper articles and opinion pieces cataloguing it. "Downfall of the human race", pretty much every word the same.

And every generation looks back with hindsight and laughs at how silly it all looks now. But I know, I know. tHiS tImE iS dIfFeReNt
Not disagreeing but now they get it 24x7x365.
I read a thing about kids in school
And they said 25 years ago if you tripped and fell in the lunch room a few folks told a few folks and it faded. Now somebody will get it on video and in about 15 minutes 10000 people will have seen it. Not just at school but neighbors or kids from other schools. Then they start making rude comments on the persons page and on and on

Reactions: Mdragger88

It is like taking a small electrical shock and surviving... then slowly increase the voltage/current... at some point it will kill you, but until them the "tHiS tImE iS dIfFeReNt" discourse applies.

I agree with this. The stuff polluting the minds of today's youth is like nothing before seen on this planet. It is easy to say our parents and their parents said the same thing about us, but that simply isn't true. The level of attention deficit created by social media and many video games is a species-killing event. When I was a kid we played video games when we were bored and had nothing else to do. Today's kids live for endless video games. I have said this many, many time. The Internet is the worst thing to ever happen to the human race and WILL be the downfall of it.
Leave my video games alone.

• Haha
Reactions: PoolGate
I am dealing with this dilemma now - my daughter is 14 & heading to high school this year- all her friends have had phones with unfettered access since they were like 8! I can’t decide between a locked down iphone 📱 as u have described (i have an old one i can use) or a nokia dumb phone (I would have to purchase). She does multiple sports & currently has to borrow someone’s phone to text/call me if a game or practice gets done early etc. I know its getting bothersome for her & her friends. During the school year she will be traveling pretty far for some games.
It used to be that a teacher or coach would contact the parents but now they rely on the kids to pass along info since they all have phones. We currently have a chrome book with Family link limits & blocksi. The only “social media” she is allowed on is pinterest as there is a chat area that she talks to her friends in (which i can read).

Everything is all about talking with and supervising... My son is now 19.. He has a facebook and instagram account... I do not have any social media but my wife does... We track him on his phone, we have all his passwords, we get his phone and see what he is doing, what he is saying to friends... we know everything.. we know where he goes, how fast he goes.. how long he stays at one place, when he leaves.. everything is known and tracked.. I have a recording camera in his car that records the road and all conversations.. He had an accident one night and we knew exactly where he was and went right to him... All emails are tracked, if a password changes I know about it.. No if and or buts about it...

We tell him exactly what we are doing and do not give him a choice.. It is for his own protection and the families protection, there are people out there now that will try to take advantage of people and there families..

We have been doing this since he was 8 and he got his first phone... This is not a democracy, it is the rule of me... My job is to protect the family and I will go to my grave doing exactly that...

I know. tHiS tImE iS dIfFeReNt
The thing that’s different is that hiding behind a keyboard, people forgot what it was like to be punched in the face for being a jerk.

My problem is that I have too little of a problem reminding them when they try it in person.

• Haha
Reactions: Oly and AK-
The thing that’s different is that hiding behind a keyboard, people forgot what it was like to be punched in the face for being a jerk.

My problem is that I have too little of a problem reminding them when they try it in person.
Your right, I have called a few folks out on Nextdoor and asked “ would you tell that lady she is a idiot in person” they usually don’t respond or a few Say yes I would. I picture a female MMA gal showing up to some 150pd dude 😋 But I give 25 to 1 odds they would be a different person I. Person.

• Haha
Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.