FB Pool Group

I still think that EVs are here to stay and will be the future of cars once they get some of the negatives figured out (need more charging stations, replaceable batteries that don't cost half of a car, extend the distance you can go on a charge to 500+ miles, etc).

For me, one would be perfect. Charge it at home, drive way less than 300 miles in a day, never need an oil change, no transmission or radiator to worry about. You basically just have to pay for brakes, tires, wiper blades and electricity, which is about $7 to fully charge vs $40+ a tank. I've been doing a ton of research for my next car purchase and am considering one, hopefully next year.

One thing I do not agree with is the states that are beginning to ban gas powered vehicle sales in the next 10-15 years. I'm fine with them offering incentives to manufacture and buy EVs, but let the market figure it out. If they are truly a better product people will buy them without government mandates (that can hurt a lot of people where an EV will not work).

Well now that this thread has completely veered (pun intended as is the rest of them) off course, so why not take it all the way there. This is my personal list of pros and cons as I am contemplating a new car purchase. I am no expert so I am ready to be corrected. Personally I dont see me buying another ICE (internal combustion engine) car, but I know that different people have different factors that drive them.

Cost of ownership: Advantage EV
Electricity is cheaper than gas per mile (and no trips to the gas station)
No more oil changes or timing belts, just much fewer trips to the dealer or mechanic who make me crazy.
Single gear transmission (much less likely to fail and pretty much maintenance free)
Regenerative braking will make the brakes last longer.
Overall less moving parts and things to fail which is a big driver for me.

Car Longevity: Advantage ICE
Other than the Tesla they have not been around long enough to know. My current car is 20 years old (part of the reason I am looking). I have no idea if GM's Ultium battery will last 10 or even 20 years. I feel confident that a Tesla battery would but not sure I want a Tesla. Both GM and Tesla are talking about a 1MM mile battery. This will probably keep me on the sidelines for another year or two.

Range: Advantage ICE
Not really an issue for me since 99% of my trips will be well inside an EV's range. For the rare occasions I have a 600 mile trip to take I can just rent.

Performance: Advantage EV
Cant beat an EV's acceleration.

Backup Power: Advantage EV
Not an issue for most people, but for me living in a hurricane zone the ability for a car to be a backup power source for the house is big. Of course not many EV's do this yet, but it would be a requirement for the one I bought.

Interiors: Advantage ICE (hopefully short term)
I want ventilated seats. Tesla does not have them yet, but I am hopeful that future EV will have better feature and amenities in the interior which is where I spend most of the time with my car.

Borates: Even
I dont know if borates will help the ICE or EV stay cleaner or have a silkier feel.

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
I considered keeping my 20yr old land cruiser (it didn’t need to be my daily driver anymore) & just buying a used Prius for around $5k. There’s a place around here that’s mobile & will change out your hybrid batteries wherever u are for about $2k in a couple of hours.
Prius brakes tend to last for ever (150k+ miles) due to regenerative braking. Of course driving style can influence life.

Well now that this thread has completely veered (pun intended as is the rest of them) off course, so why not take it all the way there. This is my personal list of pros and cons as I am contemplating a new car purchase. I am no expert so I am ready to be corrected. Personally I dont see me buying another ICE (internal combustion engine) car, but I know that different people have different factors that drive them.

Cost of ownership: Advantage EV
Electricity is cheaper than gas per mile (and no trips to the gas station)
No more oil changes or timing belts, just much fewer trips to the dealer or mechanic who make me crazy.
Single gear transmission (much less likely to fail and pretty much maintenance free)
Regenerative braking will make the brakes last longer.
Overall less moving parts and things to fail which is a big driver for me.

Car Longevity: Advantage ICE
Other than the Tesla they have not been around long enough to know. My current car is 20 years old (part of the reason I am looking). I have no idea if GM's Ultium battery will last 10 or even 20 years. I feel confident that a Tesla battery would but not sure I want a Tesla. Both GM and Tesla are talking about a 1MM mile battery. This will probably keep me on the sidelines for another year or two.

Range: Advantage ICE
Not really an issue for me since 99% of my trips will be well inside an EV's range. For the rare occasions I have a 600 mile trip to take I can just rent.

Performance: Advantage EV
Cant beat an EV's acceleration.

Backup Power: Advantage EV
Not an issue for most people, but for me living in a hurricane zone the ability for a car to be a backup power source for the house is big. Of course not many EV's do this yet, but it would be a requirement for the one I bought.

Interiors: Advantage ICE (hopefully short term)
I want ventilated seats. Tesla does not have them yet, but I am hopeful that future EV will have better feature and amenities in the interior which is where I spend most of the time with my car.

Borates: Even
I dont know if borates will help the ICE or EV stay cleaner or have a silkier feel.

On the "Backup Power" items: An ICE vehicle with a full tank of gas is an invaluable reservoir of gas for emergency generators.

There is also a missing point there that is kind of expected from someone living in FL.
How long can you keep your car heat if you get stuck in the middle of a blizzard?

Well now that this thread has completely veered (pun intended as is the rest of them) off course,
GIF by Single by 30

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
On the "Backup Power" items: An ICE vehicle with a full tank of gas is an invaluable reservoir of gas for emergency generators.

Good point and I do have a dual fuel emergency generator. I even bought a siphon. But I hear its not just as easy to stick a small hose down into the gas tank. Dont cars now have stuff to prevent that, or am I imaging that. Probably something I should test soon.

How long can you keep your car heat if you get stuck in the middle of a blizzard?

Whats a blizzard?

I considered keeping my 20yr old land cruiser (it didn’t need to be my daily driver anymore) & just buying a used Prius for around $5k. There’s a place around here that’s mobile & will change out your hybrid batteries wherever u are for about $2k in a couple of hours.
Prius brakes tend to last for ever (150k+ miles) due to regenerative braking. Of course driving style can influence life.
Replacing those Prius batteries looks like a stupid easy DIY job. Now I’m considering finding an old Prius with a dead battery for my youngest kids car in a few years…

I can’t decide between a locked down iphone 📱 as u have described (i have an old one i can use) or a nokia dumb phone (I would have to purchase).
We got our kids cell phones when they went to middle school (pretty typical for our area). Not a top-of-the-line phone, but an OK phone. We talk to our kids and try to trust them as much as we can. I fear keeping them locked down will do more harm than good in the long run. For example, I would rather give them a decent phone that covers their needs and a bit of their wants is way better than the phone that their boy/girl friend gives them that I don't know about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Replacing those Prius batteries looks like a stupid easy DIY job. Now I’m considering finding an old Prius with a dead battery for my youngest kids car in a few years…
I have watched the process a few times - its totes doable there’s just alot of bolts!

The Internet is the worst thing to ever happen to the human race and WILL be the downfall of it.
But without it… I’d have no TFP, wouldn’t know any better, and I’d have to rely on the pool store.

At least we’re going down with clean pools!

We got our kids cell phones when they went to middle school (pretty typical for our area). Not a top-of-the-line phone, but an OK phone. We talk to our kids and try to trust them as much as we can. I fear keeping them locked down will do more harm than good in the long run. For example, I would rather give them a decent phone that covers their needs and a bit of their wants is way better than the phone that their boy/girl friend gives them that I don't know about.
I’m hoping to meet in the middle- she’s pretty good about avoiding the obviously bad things in general- the main issue is avoiding the time suck/distraction factor.
It seems apple parental controls are quite modifiable so I intend to set one up & test run it a while before handing it over. It won’t have a data package so that will eliminate some of the headaches over useage away from home. school wifi is terribly slow because there’s 800 kids plus teachers on it. Kinda like when i was 16 & got my 1st truck (1978 dodge w/a big block) my parents didn’t really have to limit where I could go - the gas mileage & naturally limited teenage funds did it for me 😊.

Reactions: Shirker
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.