sparcel

May 25, 2022
San Jose, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a habit of adding 3-5 drops at a time of R-0871 between swirls (for the first ~15) when I know I will be adding ~20 or more drops. I understand the instructions from Taylor and here on TFP say 1 at a time. I have not done a careful study, but I have not noticed a clear difference vs 1 at a time. Some of you will probably tell me that adding one at a time is just as fast if you do it right (dropping while swirling), and perhaps I could get used to that, but does anyone specifically know whether adding 3-5 at a time for the first 3/4s of the drops has a downside?

I personally don't swirl with every drop myself. YMMV. If you want to be sure, test it out... Do 2 tests, both ways, with the same sample water, see if there's any noticeable different. My guess is, it doesn't really matter so long as it's all mixed well at the end.

Reactions: HermanTX
Adding 3-5 at a time for the first 3/4s of the drops has no downside. It is the volume of drops added that matters not how you add them.

Get the Speed Stirer and then you just slowly add the drops and it is mixed automagically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loren42

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adding 3-5 at a time for the first 3/4s of the drops has no downside. It is the volume of drops added that matters not how you add them.
Swirling by hand can be done, but it is much harder to do than using a speed-stir or smart-stir.

Swirling by hand makes it job, while using a speed-stir makes it almost "fun".
Agreed! First, if you know you will be adding 10 drops or so, the first 3 to 4 in the vial, even if you were swirling by hand wouldn't change the color. The total number of drops is important and as you get towards the end, will start seeing flashes of color before the final drop.

I'd get the sale one if I needed a stirrer.
Any one of those stirrers will work great, but for $10 off the normal price for the blue one, seems like a good deal. That one is on sale because the LED is the wrong color and could make it difficult to read some tests. The Taylor smart stir, and the other brand that comes with the TFTest Kit Pro has a while led light on the base, whereas the one on clearance linked above has a blue led. Again, the blue led is not best for all the TF testing, if you need the LED to help you. If you do not use or need the LED, like me, the blue one may fit your needs just fine. Apparently, TF Tests got these in and maybe didn't expect the led to be blue so in order to move them, they need to discount them. It will stir just like the others, which is what I love. I can't image swirling all these tests by hand once you have had one of these. For a very small price in comparison to everything you spend on your pool, this is so worth it.

I would also order a few extra magnets. The one that comes with it could be misplaced, dropped, or just lost, and for an extra 6 bucks each, or if you go with the regular pills, 8 bucks for 4 like i did, great to have a few extra.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.