Extreme learning curve Please HELP!!!!

Hey Beer - Hows it going? Is the pool looking any better?
Ok so I have screwed up!!! When I checked pool math for how much chlorine to add I did not realize the Chlorine % was set to 6.The chlorine I am using is 10%. As a result I added about a gallon too much liquid chlorine, So my elevated test results are below. Is it ok that my FC is so high?

FC= 27
CC=1
TC=28
CYA=50

Beer,
Just so you know when you start backwash mode quickly watch the stream right at the edge of the hose and you'll see the water go from greenish sometimes brownish for a while then change to a white color. After it goes white give it another minute to run because you may not be giving it a good enough backwash until now and then the slam can take longer too.

Reactions: Beerfloater
I wouldnt swim in it, but you should be fine. Enjoy another beer, get some rest and retest in the morning.
It's high but not terribly high. Your FC didn't lose that much since last night so that means the slam is progressing nicely. Some of the FC loss you recorded this evening was from daytime loss which can be caused by the sun. Check it tonight and then in the early morning before the sun is up. Would be good to see how much you loose.

Beer,
Just so you know when you start backwash mode quickly watch the stream right at the edge of the hose and you'll see the water go from greenish sometimes brownish for a while then change to a white color. After it goes white give it another minute to run because you may not be giving it a good enough backwash until now and then the slam can take longer too.
My backwash pipe comes out behind my pool house, so I cant see the water that is coming out unless I walk around to see it. I have been using the sight glass on my sand filter. Once it gets clear I let it run for a few seconds then switch to rinse for a quick bit, then back to filter.....Is this ok or do I need to walk around and watch the water as it comes out?

My backwash pipe comes out behind my pool house, so I cant see the water that is coming out unless I walk around to see it. I have been using the sight glass on my sand filter. Once it gets clear I let it run for a few seconds then switch to rinse for a quick bit, then back to filter.....Is this ok or do I need to walk around and watch the water as it comes out?
I don't like the sight glass because it doesn't tell the story the way water forcefully shooting out of the hose. What may look good in the glass will look different in the stream. Once you see it yourself it'll be self explanatory. I show this to people all the time. The water right out of the pipe has a frothy look to it and that's what you look at. Get there real fast after the backwash starts and watch it change colors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So FC dropped by 2 overnight. Guess that means its working. I will check it when I get home this evening, and add if needed. Then I will brush the pool and check again before bed time. Spending alot of time reading up in the forums and trying to learn what I can...(Shh don't tell the boss!! :oops:) Thanks again for all the help. I am looking forward to throwing my new robot in when I can finally see the bottom.

OK guys....I have lots of questions today. First off todays test results when I got home from work.
FC=22
CC=1.5
CYA=50
I know yall said dont worry about testing the other stuff besides FC but just wanting to get all the test down so I can perform them without reading the directions...lol
Ok so my FC only dropped one point. Is that good or bad? I thought if the chlorine is working it gets burned off??
Also I have attached a couple pics...sorry it was dark when I got home so dont know how good the pics are, but the pool has not changed much. So i had it almost clean enough to see the bottom late last week, and I could see dark spots on the bottom. Thats when I vacuumed to waste, and stirred everything up. problem is It stirred the algae up so fast I could not see the bottom so not sure how much I missed. I have already had to add water once from the water lost due to all the backwashing and vacuuming to waste. I have been brushing the sides and bottom at least once daily since then, and it has kept me from seeing the bottom as a result. My question is should I only brush the walls? Should I stop brushing at all until I can see the bottom again and then Vacuum? I just dont like the idea of loosing all that water vacuuming to waste if I am not sure if I am getting the stuff up.

Attachments

• IMG_9172.jpg
    IMG_9172.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9173.jpg
    IMG_9173.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 25
How often are you needing to backwash your sand filter based on filter pressure rising 25%?

Frequent need to backwash shows everything is working properly. You need to get the dead algae out either through vacuuming or filtering. You are limited by the setup you have.

Keep up the brushing, vacuuming, backwashing, and maintain the FC level. It takes a while to overcome the algae multiplying.

Your signature says you have a robot. Why dont you use that? If you dont want to or cant use the robot, can you brush the sides and then everything to the deep end and vacuum the deep end?

Also, since your CC went up, that means your chlorine is sanitizing something. Keep at it and you should have good progress in the next few days.

How often are you needing to backwash your sand filter based on filter pressure rising 25%?

Frequent need to backwash shows everything is working properly. You need to get the dead algae out either through vacuuming or filtering. You are limited by the setup you have.

Keep up the brushing, vacuuming, backwashing, and maintain the FC level. It takes a while to overcome the algae multiplying.
I am backwashing a minimum of twice a day sometimes 3. Depends on how many times I get to brush the pool. I had to back wash this morning. When I got home this evening It was showing the pressure about 20% higher than clean pressure, but I went ahead and backwashed and brushed it again. will check it before bed. Thanks for all the help.

Your signature says you have a robot. Why dont you use that? If you dont want to or cant use the robot, can you brush the sides and then everything to the deep end and vacuum the deep end?

Also, since your CC went up, that means your chlorine is sanitizing something. Keep at it and you should have good progress in the next few days.
Yes I have a robot new in the box. I was thinking someone here said not to use it until you can see the bottom, but i should not have anything other than algae and small debris on the bottom since the cover was on the whole time. You think I should start using it?

Ok, I understand not wanting to put a robot on its maiden voyage into a green pool. I would personally rather vacuum to waste, but I am curious what others have to say on it as the robot may do fine.

Reactions: Beerfloater
You get a lot of rapid chlorine consumption early in the SLAM Process. Then you have a long tail that requires patience as chlorine consumption declines and it takes a long time to kill 100% of the algae.

Thanks Guys!!! Still SLAM ing!!!! Thanks for all the help, and encouragement.I will stick with it....... I promise.... Just want to make sure I am doing what I need to. Test results tonight was FC 19.5. pool math said to add 4 cups of liquid chlorine, so I did. Will check again in the morning.

Reactions: Bigrmorale

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.