Explosion near the SWG

Greengo

May 23, 2019
California
We were watching TV and heard a major explosion after exploring in the backyard I went into my pool equipment should and found about a 16 in PVC pipe shredded 8in on one side 8in on the other side of where my SWG Is located. I have no Idea what to think. It appears the SWG somehow was not damaged. my neighbors heard it it was so loud. Any thoughts?

Is your SWCG powered on when the pump is not running?

Get pictures in the morning and post them up here.

SWGs produce chlorine gas and hydrogen gas. If the cell is producing with no flow, the gasses build up and can explode.

I suspect that the initiation is likely to be the generation of hydrogen and chlorine radicals at the plates.

Sunlight might initiate the reaction in a clear cell or possibly a clear plumbing part, like the view window of a check valve.

We're not 100% sure what initiates the reaction.

Last edited:
Reactions: jblizzle
Was the pump on or off when the explosion happened?

Does the SWG stay powered when the pump is off?

Can you list all of your equipment?

We always stress that it's important to have redundant safety interlocks for SWGs.

The flow switch is one safety interlock.

The second safety interlock should remove power from the SWG whenever the pump is not pumping.

This can be accomplished by automation or a timer that turns the SWG off during the time that the pump is scheduled to be off.

Last edited:
Was the pump on or off when the explosion happened?

Does the SWG stay powered when the pump is off?

Can you list all of your equipment?

We always stress that it's important to have redundant safety interlocks for SWGs.

The flow switch is one safety interlock.

The second safety interlock should remove power from the SWG whenever the pump is not pumping.

This can be accomplished by automation or a timer that turns the SWG off during the time that the pump is scheduled to be off.

I believe the pump was off because I ran out there and the only water on the ground was what might be sitting in that pipe and the SWG WAS on and the pump wasn't running

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What brand SWCG was it? Lucky no one was around.

Be sure you wire it up correctly when you replace it.

Thank you too everybody that responded. Anymore advice is welcome. Like I said this is the first salt pool I've owned. Now I'm doing my homework. The pool guy who services are pool said that it should only run when it detects water flow but I know for a fact when I went out there it was hot the light was on but the pool pump wasn't running so I believe I had a what hydrogen pipe bomb go off in my backyard wow

I am not sure I would use the SWCG. If under warranty, when you speak with Pentair, start a warranty ticket on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.