Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Mb,

Since you have the lite version of the EasyTouch, this means you must have an external power center..

Most likely the idiot that installed your system, did not wire the com port of the Power Center into the EasyTouch like you need to do..

If they made that mistake, then I need to ask... Does your cell only get power when the pump is running? If not, the cell can explode. Does not happen often, but it can happen. The AC power to the cell's Power Center, MUST come from the load side of the Pump/Filter relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Whoaaa, Jim. IMPORTANT! [Credit to "Casablanca" screen writer.) Could you expand on that exploding cell thing? I have my Pentair IC40 powered on with a mechanical timer, thinking it's not good to power things that aren't in use. My time is set so that it turns on a few minutes after the pump comes on and turns off a few minutes before the pump shuts off. I have Pentair Intelliconnect running the pumps, heater, and the IC-40 % setting plus "monitoring" the salt level. However, there is no timer or schedule available for the IC-40--hence the mechanical timer (which also runs the UV-C and Ozone generator). My IC-40 was installed by an authorized Pentair dealer/installer (necessary for full warranty which has already been used once.) When the timer is off, there is no power to the cell.

Question about the "load side of the pump." As you probably know, the Intelliflo VSF pump has power applied to it all the time, since the programs are on the pump. Does that mean the IC-40 should have power on all the time and then the cell active only when the flow sensor detects water flow? Do I need to call the installer and inquire about what may be a faulty installation? I'm not sure if exploding salt cells are covered under my homeowner's insurance policy. Thanks!

Bill, @BowserB

I moved your post so that there would not be massive confusion... Your system is very different than the original OPs.. :mrgreen:

You have an IntelliConnect, which works very differently than other Pentair automation systems.

In your system, the cell and the pump should both be connected to your RS-485 connection. Instead of using a relay to control AC power going to your SWCG's Power Center, the IntelliConnect just sets the cell's sanitizer output to zero.

Having a timer to control the AC power to the Power Center is not really needed, with the IntelliConnect, but if that is working well for you, I would just leave it alone. Your timer is acting like the pump/filter relay...

If the cell gets power when the pump is off, and there is no water flow, it is possible for the cell to explode.. This does not happen often, as the flow switch would also have to be bad.

You should take a deep breath and relax... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.