Experiences with Stone Sealer for Enhancing Color (Salt Water Friendly)

Stoopalini

Gold Supporter
Jun 8, 2020
Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We're using moss rock and flagstone for coping/waterfall, and would like to seal the stone prior to plaster being applied. I've searched the forum for recommendations, and am finding a lot of opinions, but not much in terms of experience.

Ideally, I'd find a sealer which is salt water friendly, enhances the color of the stone, but doesn't make it any more slippery that it already is.

Maybe this is a tall order? Since I can't seem to find a solid choice for this.

I did find some reviews on "Stonetech Enhancer Pro", but some of them report a white film appearing after a period of time, which has been impossible to remove. I definitely don't want to risk something like that happening.

So looking for folks who have sealed natural stone around their salt pool, what you used, and how it's been holding up over time.

After doing some research, and making some phone calls, I'm leaning toward Aqua Mix Enrich'N'Seal. It's not cheap, but seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. It enhances the stone, is a matte finish (ie: not slippery), and also boast a long life before needing reapplication.

The biggest issues I'm finding from reading reviews is a white residue appearing on sealed stone after it cures. From experience, I believe this is due to folks not wiping up all the material before it cures. When sealer cures in a pool, or when laid on too thick, it will dry to a hazy white finish.

Aqua Mix® Enrich ‘N’ Seal™ | Custom Building Products

Anyone ever used this before?

1597175132205.png

So I tried the Enrich'N'Seal on a test moss rock, and it significantly darkened the rock and gave it a flat/bland look. Not at all like when the rock is wet.

When the moss rock is wet, it looks beautiful, with a wide dynamic range of tint and colors ... but with this sealer, it just looks bland. We're definitely NOT going to use this sealer on all the moss rock.

So I'm still searching for a good water-based, penetrating sealer, which will protect against the salt water, but also give the stone that beautiful look it has when it's wet.

You may be asking the impossible. Silane/siloxane/siliconate sealers are penetrating sealers that last a long time but do not enhance the color or sheen of the solid surface. Acrylic sealers, often sold in big box stores, is a surface sealer that gives a surface the wet look but they don't last very long.

You may be asking the impossible. Silane/siloxane/siliconate sealers are penetrating sealers that last a long time but do not enhance the color or sheen of the solid surface. Acrylic sealers, often sold in big box stores, is a surface sealer that gives a surface the wet look but they don't last very long.

Ya, that's kind of what I'm discovering ... thanks for the input.

I definitely don't want to compromise on the penetrating aspect, so it looks like we'll have to go with a non-enhancing sealer it seems.

Do you have any recommendation on a product for this very porous moss rock stone?

No recommendations yet since I bought Foundation Armor SX5000 for my concrete driveway but I have been waiting for the right time to apply which is temperature below 85F and no rain for 48 hours. I may need to wait to September to apply. While looking just now on their website, I ran across a wet-look penetrating sealer there. Do some research and see if it fits your needs. It isn't cheap.
Armor WL550 Wet Look Enhancer Sealer PRO (5 GAL)

Thanks, I checked them out and their WL550 looks like the right product.

I called them as well, and they confirmed WL550 would be the only wet-look penetrating product they offer which would work on natural stone. Looks like it's not easy to get some though, as ordering direct or from Amazon show a fairly long lead time. The mason was going to seal it for me, and he's planning to finish up this week (plaster is scheduled for next week).

I just bought 5 gallons of this to do my walkways and patio and it should work on those rocks no issue but you can call them and ask :)

That would not be a penetrating sealer so it likely will need redone in a few years. Penetrating sealers can last 10 years. I've done a ton of research on sealers before settling on the one I bought.

Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.