Exchanging water after pool opening

When you break up the exchange the new water mixes with old- meaning you will need to use more water in the end to exchange the same amount. Regardless the dilution will certainly help your cause.
You can use your other parameters (cya/ch/salt) to determine how well your exchange went. If you achieve a full exchange they would be near zero.

I wondered how that might affect it. But, I’m not on sewer and I can’t drain continuously for fear of flooding. I’m waiting 12 hours between and not running the pool at all. So, why would it mix? We have some rain forecasted for the weekend. I wasn’t sure what that would do. But, I’m hoping it will help with the water bill. lol

I wondered how that might affect it. But, I’m not on sewer and I can’t drain continuously for fear of flooding. I’m waiting 12 hours between and not running the pool at all. So, why would it mix? We have some rain forecasted for the weekend. I wasn’t sure what that would do. But, I’m hoping it will help with the water bill. lol
You may get some mixing but gotta do what you gotta do. In your case maybe just drain the initial portion (as low as youre comfortable with leaving at least 18 inches in the shallow end to prevent liner movement) then no drain exchange the rest after the 12 hours? If its a decent amount of rain though (more than just a shower) or very wet out I would just stick with the no drain exchange completely. Best of luck with your stain removal!

Drain a little before it rains and let the pool refill with rain as much as possible.
Your partial draining is perfectly acceptable because of your constraints. Just realize you may need to do more draining to achieve the desired results.

I battled the same iron issue. After 2 years of trial and error, I determined that the iron had to be coming from the salt I was using. I was using various brands from the big box stores. I finally bit the bullet and used Aquasalt. No more iron staining.
As far as water exchange, I have used the ‘tarp method’ twice now with no problem.

IMG_0007.jpeg

What’s the tarp method? How did you determine it was the salt? I haven’t really figured out the source. I know it’s not the fill water. But, I have used Clorox and Morton pool salt for about 8 years without any problem. But, last year was a nightmare. That’s why I’m doing the exchange.

Clorox Pool Salt causes problems and is not recommended…

What’s the tarp method? How did you determine it was the salt? I haven’t really figured out the source. I know it’s not the fill water. But, I have used Clorox and Morton pool salt for about 8 years without any problem. But, last year was a nightmare. That’s why I’m doing the exchange.
The tarp method is the most efficient way of exchanging the water without emptying the pool. Just spread a plastic tarp over the pool, with minimum overlap equal to the height of the pool sides. Weight the edges, I used some firewood I had handy. Using sections of hose and a water transfer pump available at any big box store, pump the old pool water out from under the tarp. At the same time, add new tap water on top of the tarp. When all the old water is out and the tarp is flat on the bottom of the pool, just pull it out.
I tested my tap water to ensure it was iron free. There was no source of iron except the impurities which may have been in the salt I was using. Aquasalt was touted as being the cleanest salt available. I had always resisted using it because it costs about 4x what other brands cost. Since I’ve been using it though, no more iron staining issues.
I’ll add a note of caution regarding the ‘tarp method’ before someone else does. A tarp in the pool could be dangerous if a person or animal were to fall in. Closely monitor the pool while the water transfer is in process.

I’ll add a note of caution regarding the ‘tarp method’ before someone else does. A tarp in the pool could be dangerous if a person or animal were to fall in. Closely monitor the pool while the water transfer is in process.
Correct. And because of that, TFPC promotes the No Drain Exchange. Please consider the safety hazards of using a tarp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Clorox Pool Salt causes problems and is not recommended…

Yuck. I won’t be using that again. I checked my last purchases for rebalancing after my water exchange and it was Morton’s professional salt.

The tarp method is the most efficient way of exchanging the water without emptying the pool. Just spread a plastic tarp over the pool, with minimum overlap equal to the height of the pool sides. Weight the edges, I used some firewood I had handy. Using sections of hose and a water transfer pump available at any big box store, pump the old pool water out from under the tarp. At the same time, add new tap water on top of the tarp. When all the old water is out and the tarp is flat on the bottom of the pool, just pull it out.
I tested my tap water to ensure it was iron free. There was no source of iron except the impurities which may have been in the salt I was using. Aquasalt was touted as being the cleanest salt available. I had always resisted using it because it costs about 4x what other brands cost. Since I’ve been using it though, no more iron staining issues.
I think my pool is way too large for the tarp method. I’m doing an exchange at 12 hours a day. Today is day 5. So ready to be done. I’m only pumping out about 275 gallons a hour. But, I think it will be worth it. I’m going to be posting my results. Last year was such a nightmare with staining, treating and sequestering. Aargh!

I think my pool is way too large for the tarp method. I’m doing an exchange at 12 hours a day. Today is day 5. So ready to be done. I’m only pumping out about 275 gallons a hour. But, I think it will be worth it. I’m going to be posting my results. Last year was such a nightmare with staining, treating and sequestering. Aargh!
Have you done any testing after day 3 or 4 to determine progress on reduction of CYA, CH, etc.

I texted before and after the AA treatment. But, I haven’t tested since then. The chlorine was zero and the cya was around 30. The chlorine was at 4 and cya was 50 ppm before the treatment. I’m not running my pump during the exchange. So, I don’t think it would be accurate.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I texted before and after the AA treatment. But, I haven’t tested since then. The chlorine was zero and the cya was around 30. The chlorine was at 4 and cya was 50 ppm before the treatment. I’m not running my pump during the exchange. So, I don’t think it would be accurate.
That is correct- the water needs to be mixed. Did you use some polyquat to prevent algae during this time?
Also consider pouring a little liquid chlorine into the stream of the fill hose so you’re not setting yourself up for a slam

Reactions: Pennypat

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support