Oklahoma City, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Had a bit of bad weather yesterday, but nothing terrible. We did, however, have a whole bunch of rain which caused quite the runoff into the pool. As you can see, there is a lot of sediment. We are hoping to have a housewarming/pool party this Saturday, so hopefully I can get this dealt with in 4 days. Current numbers:

FC: 6.0
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.7
TA: 110
CH: 300
CYA: 70

Plan is to get pH to 7.2 and start slam. There doesn't appear to be too much debris (outside of the sediment), so going to toss the robot in as well. Filter is on now and will remain on until clear.

Any other thoughts/recommendations?

Last edited:
Follow up question. I have had the pump running for about 4 hours so far and have noticed my filter pressure go from 11.5 to about 8. I am using only the skimmer as I have the MDX turned off (it's operable, just don't use it so I have better skimming) and the filter basket has not really been filling up. Also, pump basket has very little debris and there are no bubbles visible in the pump basket. I did a quick search on reduced pressure but didn't find a whole lot.

I would think if the filters were getting clogged, it would increase the pressure. For the record, the filters are a couple months old and have no pressure increase since new. Also, I have the glycerin filled gauge from the TFP store.

So what could the problem be?

Low filter pressure usually implies a suction side blockage (weir door stuck closed?) or your pump is now on low speed instead of high.

Low filter pressure usually implies a suction side blockage (weir door stuck closed?) or your pump is now on low speed instead of high.
Still on high speed (I have to manually switch it) and the door is still open. I am not sure what could cause the blockage since there really wasn't too much big debris in there and the baskets have been clear of debris, too. Ugh...what a pain!

Edit: I pulled the filter basket and it had quite a bit of small pine needle debris, so cleaned that and pressure is back to the normal 11.5 PSI. I also went ahead and put the hairnet back in the skimmer basket to try and stop some of the riff raff debris. Robot had some debris in the filters but not a whole lot...not much dirt, either. I suppose it's remaining in suspension as opposed to settling to the bottom. I am also brushing sides/bottom about once an hour. Have I mentioned that it's nice to be able to work from home? It would be a huge pain to deal with this if I had a "normal" 9-5 job w/ a commute! :cool:

Last edited:
Could be something warpped around the impeller too. Lots of fun stuff --------
Ugh! Don't mention that Marty...I ain't got time for that madness! :)

I added this to my earlier post before I saw your reply:

I pulled the filter basket and it had quite a bit of small pine needle debris, so cleaned that and pressure is back to the normal 11.5 PSI. I also went ahead and put the hairnet back in the skimmer basket to try and stop some of the riff raff debris. Robot had some debris in the filters but not a whole lot...not much dirt, either. I suppose it's remaining in suspension as opposed to settling to the bottom. I am also brushing sides/bottom about once an hour. Have I mentioned that it's nice to be able to work from home? It would be a huge pain to deal with this if I had a "normal" 9-5 job w/ a commute! :cool:

While you're at home and SLAMing the pool, you get to enjoy all the color changes as it clears up ?
The change *seems* pretty quick. Although I would note that it was overcast @ the 8 AM pic and the sun is out and shining bright @ the noon one. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be good to go for Saturday!!! :paddle:

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't see why it would not be clear enough by this weekend. Just don't tell them what the FC is if you are still in the SLAM.

Reactions: HeyEng
Just don't tell them what the FC is if you are still in the SLAM.

We are good 'ole boys and gals out here in flyover country; no one cares about that FC stuff. Shoot, my wife said, "It still looks better than the lake, everyone will still want in!" ;)

One other thing @mknauss I saw you mention in another thread that filters work better on low speed. Would you recommend running the pump on low? If I recall, my pressure on low is in the 4-5 psi range. Thanks again Marty for all your help!

With a cartridge filter it might not make as much difference. On sand filters it does as you can force fines through the sand if at high rates.

I doubt it will make much difference in your clean up time whether you have the pump on low or high ------

Reactions: HeyEng
With a cartridge filter it might not make as much difference. On sand filters it does as you can force fines through the sand if at high rates.

I doubt it will make much difference in your clean up time whether you have the pump on low or high ------
Ah, that make sense. Thanks!

I'd recommend not leaving the pool unattended with the hairnets/skimmer socks installed with the water full of sediment. I'd suspect they may clog quickly and potentially cause the pump to cavitate. But otherwise absolutely use them under supervision.

I'd recommend not leaving the pool unattended with the hairnets/skimmer socks installed with the water full of sediment. I'd suspect they may clog quickly and potentially cause the pump to cavitate. But otherwise absolutely use them under supervision.
Very good advice. My office is pretty close to the equipment pad and w/ the window open I can hear the pump. I am also checking/brushing every 30 minutes or so. The weather is absolutely magnificent today, so it gives me a great excuse to go outside often. ;)

Well, thanks to the good folks at TFP, my pool is looking fantastic again in a very short order. I assume that I was only having to deal with dirt and sediment so that made clean up much quicker. When I went to bed last night, there was still a slight haze in the water but I woke up this AM to crystal clear water and a successful OCLT. I can only guess as to what I would be dealing with if I had gone to the pool store instead!? o_O Now time to start working in the yard to prepare for our first pool party! 102504

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.