Estimate Chlorine needed for SLAM?

Jan 21, 2018
Houston, TX (area)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Since I am still having algae dust in the pool, I am going to SLAM the pool.
Thinking before I need to:
- Verify the MPV and Sand filter work alright, currently my filter picks up so much that pressure goes from 7 to 8.5 in 24hrs, so it should be fine?
- Add DE to the filter (or not?)
- Get Calcium Hardness in good range
- Get PH to 7.2 (or less since I get a high TA)?

With a CYA of 60, how much total chlorine (12.5%) will i need?
(I need 4 GAL to get to FC of 24, but how much do I need then per day (aprox.)?

Drop PH to 7 since you have a higher TA..
No need to add CH Calcium in a plaster pool unless it is 0 but I bet it is above 0..

Your filter is good to go, When you are getting close to being done and there is no green and you have dead algae you can add DE to help with clearing the pool.. :)

As for how much chlorine you will need is unknown, Start out with 12 gallons and see how far that gets you.. The more you can keep FC at SLAM level the faster it will go.. I did every 2 hours and kept it at SLAM level..

I burn off 2-3ppm of FC a day due to use and UV and my pool is half your size. You will need to hold FC at 24 for several days so I would have at least another 8 gals on hand and then monitor. Do you purchase your LC at Leslie's as I see you have 12.5% concentration?

My CH is 250, PoolMath recommends 350 to 550, i got the stuff en-route.
Leslie's is 0.5 miles from my house, Aldi with bleach about 20 miles. The drive does not offset the savings.
However, will run the math for buying higher quantities.
Based on where you live in Houston area, there is a NAPCO shop that sells 12.5% significantly cheaper to the public but in 5gal containers. They are in Spring. That is an hour drive for me so I use Pinch A Penny which is slightly cheaper than Leslies and they sell in 2.5 gal containers. NAPCO is on Spring Cypress Rd - contact 281-651-6800 if that interests you.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Based on where you live in Houston area, there is a NAPCO shop that sells 12.5% significantly cheaper to the public but in 5gal containers. They are in Spring. That is an hour drive for me so I use Pinch A Penny which is slightly cheaper than Leslies and they sell in 2.5 gal containers. NAPCO is on Spring Cypress Rd - contact 281-651-6800 if that interests you.
Thanks for the tip, will need to call them.
The store is about 40miles from my house...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.