mike.stocker

Jun 30, 2023
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This might be a silly question but I am in the middle of a SLAM (day 3) making really good progress. I am testing frequently, every 1-3 hours. If any given FAS-DPD test shows 9ppm, do I need to immediately add the recommend amount of chlorine from Poolmath to try and get back to 10-12 or would you let it drop a little more than that?

Here’s my progress so far. That first photo shows how much gunk was on the bottom. After a good vacuum and keeping the chlorine up, it is now blue and fairly clear. Just need to keep brushing and vacuuming as there is another large pile of debris that has settled in the deep end.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpeg
    IMG_0167.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    746.4 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Mdragger88
You want to replenish slam level fc for your cya as often as you can.
FC/CYA Levels
Shock
Level
And
Maintain
The more you’re at slam level the faster things will go.
Also 👇
*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

You are done when:
✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
✅ You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
✅ The water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

Slam on 🤩

Another question, I have passed two straight OCLT and CC is 0. The last few mornings however there has been what looks like small dirt/silt deposits in the deep end (I have no main drain). It doesn’t look like algae to me, I’ve been vacuuming it with a Pool Blaster (basically a dust buster for your pool) and they don’t reappear until the next morning. Each morning there has been less of those deposits. There were only 3 or 4 very small deposits this morning. How can I tell if it is algae? Has my SLAM been successful and I can let my FC drift back down to normal operating levels?

Does it smear on a piece of paper like slime?

Could just be normal dirt in the pool too - things are so dry and dusty right now

I know I’m my pool i have some particular areas that collect all my dirt and grit into piles

Reactions: mike.stocker
Each morning there has been less of those deposits. There were only 3 or 4 very small deposits this morning.
That sounds like dead algae to me... which means there is algae somewhere still being killed. I would keep at it until that is completely gone. I would hate to see whatever algae remains to get a foothold in your pool and you have to start over.

Thank you. I’m not sure about the smearing, I’ll try that tomorrow. If it is algae, I wish I could figure out where it’s hanging out. I have a very simple vinyl rectangular pool with no water features or stairs. I haven’t even put the ladder in yet. Fair enough though, I’ll give it another few days then just to be safe.

Thank you. I’m not sure about the smearing, I’ll try that tomorrow. If it is algae, I wish I could figure out where it’s hanging out. I have a very simple vinyl rectangular pool with no water features or stairs. I haven’t even put the ladder in yet. Fair enough though, I’ll give it another few days then just to be safe.
If it’s getting less & less each day then it’s probably not hiding anywhere but in the water. When you vac with your blaster you aren’t going to get it all - also its not all on the floor of the pool anyway- it’s suspended in the water still trying to live so just keep killing it until there’s no trace that reoccurs! You’re almost there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it’s getting less & less each day then it’s probably not hiding anywhere but in the water. When you vac with your blaster you aren’t going to get it all - also its not all on the floor of the pool anyway- it’s suspended in the water still trying to live so just keep killing it until there’s no trace that reoccurs! You’re almost there!
Got it, thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.