Mattlar0806

Jul 6, 2023
Northeast
Hey guys,

Equipment all pentair
3 HP variable speed pump
IC40
Tr 100 filter

No automation - seems too expensive for what value it will bring me (no spa)

Current pool spec
20x40
7.5 by 3.5ft deep
33000 gallons.
Likely to enlarge to 22x40 - 36000 gallons.

I’ve even doing some searching but it seems like this ic40 is undersized? The PB said they oversized everything.

Looking for confirmation this is an okay setup?

IC40 is marginal but will work for 33K gallons in the Northeast.

IC60 would be better.

If you can’t swap the IC40 now just change it to a IC60 when it fails.

IC40 is marginal but will work for 33K gallons in the Northeast.

IC60 would be better.

If you can’t swap the IC40 now just change it to a IC60 when it fails.
Thanks. Since I’ll likely be going to the bigger pool - I’ll just use this as the reason to request the ic60.

Am I really missing out with no automation? That wanted 6500…. Expensive computer and these pumps now offer phone control themselves? We will be doing a waterfall and slide too on a separate pump. I don’t mind flicking a switch or turning a valve when needed for that system.

Any concerns with doing a sandblasted marble paver (elegance nt) and salt? They offer and additional UV system as an upgrade but I’m also researching that this doesn’t seem to be any better than standard chlorine and standard chlorine is probably last on the list.

Where are you with your build?

What model 3HP VS pump are you getting?

Are you getting a heater?

What pool cleaner will you use?

What are you being charged for your IC40?

A Pentair i5P system costs $1,900...

Even with typical builder prices of 2X internet prices $6,500 is an outrageous markup before you net out that the Load Center eliminates a subpanel and other electrical work that is probably in your cost.

Where are you with your build?

What model 3HP VS pump are you getting?

Are you getting a heater?

What pool cleaner will you use?

What are you being charged for your IC40?

A Pentair i5P system costs $1,900...

Even with typical builder prices of 2X internet prices $6,500 is an outrageous markup before you net out that the Load Center eliminates a subpanel and other electrical work that is probably in your cost.

Supposed to demo the old pool in October and start the new pool shortly after. Project will not finish until spring (dusting, tile and patio laying)
I’ve given down payment 15% about.

I wasn’t told the exact Pentair 3hp VSP model.

I bought an aquacal heat pump last year (oil here) and will be reusing that with new pool.

They are plumbing an automatic cleaner line but I didn’t purchase the robot yet. Will see after if it’s something we need. We do weekly service that has worked so far on existing pool.

I don’t know the exact split out IC40 cost - but I did ask if I removed SWG and he said the savings would be a couple thousand at most.

I got a few quotes and their total cost was in the middle to higher end pricing for Long Island. But that does seem crazy to me 6500. And it says electrical work done by others…. So not sure what I’m paying for there and certainly glad it’s not in my quote. However, is this something that is hard to do years later?

I bought an aquacal heat pump last year (oil here) and will be reusing that with new pool.

Is your AquaCal HP a newer unit (with HP9 microprocessor and 5 buttons display) or a older units with an HP7 microprocessor and an either 3 or 4 button display?

However, is this something that is hard to do years later?

The issue is you will need to pay an electrician to change the high voltage wiring on any equipment the automation is controlling instead of paying for it once, with no additional cost, as part of your pool build.

And it says electrical work done by others…. So not sure what I’m paying for there and certainly glad it’s not in my quote.

Well you are going to end up paying for the electrical work. I would buy the Intellicenter panel for $1,900 and give it to the electrician and tell him to use it as the subpanel to wire up the equipment. Fully connecting up an IntelliCenter panel should add maybe 1/2 day of work for a competent electrician. I have done two of them and I work slow and it takes me a day.

Is your AquaCal HP a newer unit (with HP9 microprocessor and 5 buttons display) or a older units with an HP7 microprocessor and an either 3 or 4 button display?

The issue is you will need to pay an electrician to change the high voltage wiring on any equipment the automation is controlling instead of paying for it once, with no additional cost, as part of your pool build.

Well you are going to end up paying for the electrical work. I would buy the Intellicenter panel for $1,900 and give it to the electrician and tell him to use it as the subpanel to wire up the equipment. Fully connecting up an IntelliCenter panel should add maybe 1/2 day of work for a competent electrician. I have done two of them and I work slow and it takes me a day.
That’s great advice and will definitely speak to the electrician about doing this separately.

Aquacal has a 5 button display.

This list is a good starting point:

3 HP variable speed pump
Get the IntelliFlo3 pump. If you don't want standalone automation (IntelliCenter), get the 011076 pump which has built in simple automation controlled through a smartphone app. (Get the 011078 if you want a pump mounted touchscreen in addition to the app.) If you end up getting IntelliCenter, get the 011075 pump.

IC60 is better suited to a pool that large, and it's a better value compared to the IC40.

Tr 100 filter
I'd suggest a large cartridge filter (CCP520).

3.5ft deep
I'd suggest 4' for the shallow end. 3.5' is just a little too shallow.

They offer and additional UV system as an upgrade
Don't waste your money on it.

Make sure they install an external bypass.

Last edited:
This list is a good starting point:

Get the IntelliFlo3 pump. If you don't want standalone automation (IntelliCenter), get the 011076 pump which has built in simple automation through a smartphone app. (Get the 011078 if you want a pump mounted touchscreen in addition to the app.) If you end up getting IntelliCenter, get the 011075 pump.

IC60 is better suited to a pool that large, and it's a better value compared to the IC40.

I'd suggest a large cartridge filter (CCP520).

I'd suggest 4' for the shallow end. 3.5' is just a little too shallow.

Don't waste your money on it.

Make sure they install an external bypass.

What’s an external bypass for the heater do?

PB and I have spoke numerous times about it having its own smartphone app but I don’t think it has its own touchscreen -so it’s the first model is my guess. This feature is what made me think what do I need the fancy computer for…

PB and I have spoke numerous times about it having its own smartphone app but I don’t think it has its own touchscreen -so it’s the first model is my guess. This feature is what made me think what do I need the fancy computer for…

Will your wife, or your kids, or any friends who you ask to check on your pool system have the app and know how to connect into your pool pump to check it or operate it?

That is why you need the display controls on the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will your wife, or your kids, or any friends who you ask to check on your pool system have the app and know how to connect into your pool pump to check it or operate it?

That is why you need the display controls on the pump.
Good point.

So I’ll make sure to upgrade to that pump (if not already) and the IC60.

This is great. Thank you everyone!

Will Read the bypass thread now.

That should be the 011076 then. If you also want a touchscreen on the pump, get the 011078.
There are now five IntelliFlo3 models:
  • IntelliFlo3 VSF 3HP- 011075- new for 2022 is replacing the 011056 VSF pump. Controlled by Pentair automation, Pentair Home App, or optional touchscreen controller. The Intelliflo3 includes pump unions for 1.5", 2", & 2.5" PVC. A special RS-485 cable is not required.
  • IntelliFlo3 VSF 3HP w/Relay Board - 011076 - IO Board adds 2 relays and wireless control of the pump for simple automation
  • IntelliFlo3 VSF 3HP with Touchscreen - 011077
  • IntelliFlo3 VSF 3HP with Relay Board & Touchscreen - 011078
  • Intelliflo3 VSF 1.5HP - 011065
@Mattlar0806 does not need the IO Board models if he gets his electrician to install the IntelliCenter as discussed above.

Reactions: Mattlar0806
There are now five IntelliFlo3 models:
  • IntelliFlo3 VSF 3HP- 011075- new for 2022 is replacing the 011056 VSF pump. Controlled by Pentair automation, Pentair Home App, or optional touchscreen controller. The Intelliflo3 includes pump unions for 1.5", 2", & 2.5" PVC. A special RS-485 cable is not required.
  • IntelliFlo3 VSF 3HP w/Relay Board - 011076 - IO Board adds 2 relays and wireless control of the pump for simple automation
  • IntelliFlo3 VSF 3HP with Touchscreen - 011077
  • IntelliFlo3 VSF 3HP with Relay Board & Touchscreen - 011078
  • Intelliflo3 VSF 1.5HP - 011065
@Mattlar0806 does not need the IO Board models if he gets his electrician to install the IntelliCenter as discussed above.

Still on the fence for the full automation given. Granted if it’s half the price that will help swing me, but I am still not sure how much better it would make my use of the equipment.

Still on the fence for the full automation given. Granted if it’s half the price that will help swing me, but I am still not sure how much better it would make my use of the equipment.

The $220 you save by not needing the relay board further contributes to paying for the automation.

Actually more then $220 saved if you are getting the pump from the builder with their markups.

Yea, but im just not sure if the PB was even factoring one with an IO board into this quote. He’s never mentioned that piece or capability.

Lots of stuff you need to get answers about and understand what you are really getting and what you are paying for.

Without the IO Board or IntelliCenter it throws more stuff back to your electrician to put in a timer that will control the SWG to ensure the SWG only runs when the pump is running. And it throws it to you to ensure the pump schedule and the timer stays in synch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.