Enough with the bleach... Where should my SWG go? (Core55)

Euclid

Jul 9, 2020
Cedar Park, TX
I am switching to a SWG and I'm struggling to find the best spot for it.

Currently I have an inline chlorine tab feeder that I only use if I'm going to be away for some time.

I know the SWG should be the last thing before the return lines but one thing it's not clear to me yet is if I need some sort of flow valve between the heater and the SWG, I know today there's one before the chlorine feeder.

I think I have a couple options:

- I can remove the chlorine feeder and install it there (but I need to figure out how to remove the feeder while still leaving a couple inches of pipe to install the core55, which seems nontrivial as the feeder is glued to the valve glued to the elbow)

IMG_4584 2.jpg

Or Install vertically before the valve and the chlorinator and after the heater (the vertical pipe at the left - weird angle I know)
IMG_4585 2.jpg

If I go vertical then I have the perfect space and I would just need to cut and attach the core55 SWG.

Any advice? All I've read is that it can be installed vertically and the installation manual makes no mention of flow valve requirements, so I'm leaning to the second option while leaving the chlorinator empty without removing it.

Welcome to the forum.
There is no need for a check valve between a SWCG and heater.
I would remove the tab feeder completely. It will just be a leak source in the future.

I have a very similar set up and my suggestion is as follows.
Cut the pipe between that small straight and the check valve (before the tab feeder.
Cut the pipe directly after the tab feeder and remove both the check valve and the tab feeder. You can always use a floater to hold your tabs (that is what I do).
Use a heat gun (from Home Depot) to remove any PVC left in that short straight. It is easy to do with a pliers and some heat.
Space out your SWCG as needed. You may need to cut some more from the straight pipe that was after your tab feeder to position your SWCG properly.

I can remove the chlorine feeder and install it there (but I need to figure out how to remove the feeder while still leaving a couple inches of pipe to install the core55, which seems nontrivial as the feeder is glued to the valve glued to the elbow)
Your other option is to cut the pipe flush at the existing diverter valve and build off using a 2.5" coupler. This is how your the other side of the diverter valve is plumbed to the clear cover check valve. See photo:

1659017100566.jpeg

Cut at the the face of the valve as shown here in red:

1659017153404.jpeg

This option would require removal of the tablet feeder.

Unless you plan to run the pump 24/7, connect the SWG to a timer to ensure it has no power when the pump is off.

Best of luck on the install!

Last edited:
Your other option is to cut the pipe flush at the existing diverter valve and build off using a 2.5" coupler. This is how your the other side of the diverter valve is plumbed to the clear cover check valve. See photo:

View attachment 440998

Cut at the the face of the valve as shown here in red:

View attachment 440999

This option would require removal of the tablet feeder.

Unless you plan to run the pump 24/7, connect the SWG to a timer to ensure it has no power when the pump is off.

Best of luck on the install!
Thanks, I think I get it and that's what I'm leaning to, removing the tablet feeder and taking the full section off.

Not planning on running 24/7 but I believe the Core55 SWG supposedly has a flow detector so it only runs when there's a minimum flow. I have a variable speed pump that I run high speed (2600RPM) for about 1 hour per every 10 degrees temperature - so currently 10 hrs - and low speed for 14hrs minus the high speed time - so currently 4-.

Not planning on running 24/7 but I believe the Core55 SWG supposedly has a flow detector so it only runs when there's a minimum flow.
Do NOT rely on the flow switch as the primary safety device. Removing power from the SWCG when the pump is not running must be the primary safety device. SWCG do explode if they happen to run without water flow. Does not happen often, but does happen.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
I just did the SWG conversion 2 weeks ago. I took out the tab feeder and installed the CircuPool Edge 25 and flow meter in its place. The SWG is powered from the pump side of the timer. My pump runs 24/7 on low speed and with the SWG set for 12.5% so far has kept my FC at ~5-6 ppm. My pool has never been better since I fount TFP, and all the help I found here!

My pool has never been better since I fount TFP, and all the help I found here!
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Reactions: MA5177
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.