Emptying pool and refilling

I must be doing something wrong then, it's been about six hours and the sock still seems like it has a way to go. Haven't been out there every half hour but I have gone out about 5 or 6 times.

My first year of TFPC I bought my CYA from Ocean State Job Lot. It took forever to dissolve.

Last two seasons I have been using HTH brand, 16oz dissolved in about an hour if you constantly squeeze the sock, and/or have it in front of a return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update. I've been checking the pool. CYA is at 30, pH 7.8, Cl - 5, Br - 10 Haven't checked any other levels, I'll do that tomorrow. Added more cyanuric acid.

Test results:
Chlorine 5
Calcium 300
TA 100 Question: Is pink okay or does it have to be red to get the correct number?
CYA 35 Should I add more acid or wait a few days and retest?
pH 7.5
salt 2900
FC 1
CC 0
TC 1

Tony,
You seem to have conflicting numbers.
Chlorine is the same as FC. You say Chlorine = 5 and FC = 1. Which is it? You don't need to use the comparator block if you run the DPD test. They both measure the chlorine level.

For TA, it could change to a varying shade of a red/ pink. Count the drops until no further color change is seen. Don't count the last drop.

For CYA it can take some to dissolve. If you added the dose per PoolMath calcs and it's out of the sock, then it's in the pool somewhere. If you had the sock in the skimmer, there is a chance it's now stuck in your filter. Don't clean the filter for a bit and it should make its way into the water. Don't add more yet.

Sorry about that, new at this. The chlorine number is from the daily test. The FC number from the weekly. Am I doing something wrong since the numbers are different?

As for the sock, it was and still is in the skimmer. All the cya has dissolved. I'm assuming I put in the correct amount since I just measured it by eye. I'll give it until next week before I do another cya test. Thanks for the help.

The OTO chlorine test (yellow one) is really only good for "Is there chlorine yes/no?". The FAS-DPD is the one you should use 99% of the time. Make sure if you are using a 10ml water sample you're dividing drops by 2. So 5 drops would be 2.5.

Okay, good to know. I'm pretty sure I'm doing all as per the instructions on the test kit. If so, should I add more bleach to bring it up to where it's supposed to be? TIA

Yes. It's important to add chlorine any time you're below the high-end of the target number for your CYA. So if the target for your CYA level is 6-8, if you test below 8, add enough chlorine to get back to 8. That gives you a buffer to make sure you don't drop below the minimum chlorine number, which is bad and can result in pretty new green colors in your pool (blech). If you keep up with it daily, you'll learn what your pool needs over time and you can test a bit less frequently.

Sorry about that, new at this. The chlorine number is from the daily test. The FC number from the weekly. Am I doing something wrong since the numbers are different?

It's a bit of a learning curve for sure so don't sweat it. :)
FC will fluctuate on a daily basis and even change during the day based on sun exposure, bather & other organic load (sweat, algae, leaves, bugs, etc). It will be highest first thing in the morning before the sun comes up and go down from there.

You don't need to do both chlorine tests. There isn't a daily test and different weekly test. In the TF-100 there are 2 different ways of testing chlorine level.
The one with the block is not so accurate and only goes up to 5ppm. I find this difficult to read.
The powder & drop based test is easier for me and therefore I like it better. It also happens to be more accurate and can measure to high FC levels if needed. Most of us use this one exclusively.

My test results as of a few minutes ago:

CH - 350
TA - 60
CYA - 55
FC - 7.5
CC - 0
TC - 7.5

Seems the CYA is still low. Assuming I need to add more.

Should the CC be 0? The water didn't change color at all.

In a question totally unrelated, I read where putting pantyhose over the (not sure which one), either the skimmer or pump basket, will help keep out the small particles from the filters. Is that true?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have a SWG, it is recommended to have a CYA of around 80 ppm. You can add some via the sock method hanging in front of a return.

Having a CC of zero is a good thing, CC is the leftovers after FC has done its job killing the bad stuff.

Your numbers look good otherwise.

For the prefilter, I think the pantyhose are for the opposite, keeping big stuff out / easy cleanup of your basket, during times of heavy or unusual loads. The cartridge filter will be able to capture smaller particles.

Latest numbers as of yesterday:

CH - 400
TA - 60
CYA - 55
FC - 7.5
CC - .5
TC - 8

Seems I still need to add more CYA. Can't seem to get it up to where it's supposed to be.

Seems the pH goes up and down daily. I read where adding borax keeps the pH more stable, is that something I should add?

My test results as of a few minutes ago:

CH - 350
TA - 60
CYA - 55
FC - 7.5
CC - 0
TC - 7.5

Seems the CYA is still low. Assuming I need to add more.

Should the CC be 0? The water didn't change color at all.

In a question totally unrelated, I read where putting pantyhose over the (not sure which one), either the skimmer or pump basket, will help keep out the small particles from the filters. Is that true?
No CC is perfect.

CYA can take a day or two to register even after its dissolved. Make sure you've given it time so you don't overshoot.

Yes, hairnets or nylons can stop a whole lot of stuff before it reaches the filter. Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated

I added CYA last Sunday, so it's been a week. Added more yesterday, will see how it goes by next week.

Thanks for the info on the skimmer sock. I'll have to pick some up. I get a lot of these little twig thingies in the filter basket that get stuck in the holes. Maybe they will help.

Just finished testing:

CH - 450
TA - 100 (yellow) Never had that happen before
CYA - 70
pH - 7.8
FC - 18
CC - 2
TC - 20

In Arizona where it was close to 115F today, I'm sure that effects the numbers.

Just finished testing:

CH - 450
TA - 100 (yellow) Never had that happen before
CYA - 70
pH - 7.8
FC - 18
CC - 2
TC - 20

In Arizona where it was close to 115F today, I'm sure that has some effect on the numbers. Just wondering if the numbers are okay. Wondering about the TA test being yellow. I swear I didn't pee in the pool. :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.