Empty a fiberglass swimming pool

Rafy

Aug 27, 2014
Texas
I'm in the process of renovating the concrete ( paint and seal) around my swimming pool. Its almost done, the contractor asked if I could empty the pool so he can clean it and then fill it back up again.. Can this be done without any harm to the pool? By this I mean, will this cause the fiberglass to lift up once it's empty? this process will be done within a day.
Appreciate any assistance that anyone can provide...

Rafy

14 x 36 In-Ground Fiberglass Pool Free form 14000Gal
Hayward Super Pump series ( SP2610X15)
Hayward Pro Series Top Mount High-Rate Sand Filter(S244T)
Rainbow Lifegard Chlorine/Bromine Feeder ( not in used

Depends how high the water table is at the time. Floating the pool is a risk if you don’t leave some water in it.

We almost never recommend draining a fiberglass pool. Even if the water table is low the walls can flex enough to allow the backfill to shift and then the wall will never go back to the original shape or position.

If the builder is still around, I'd give them a call and see what they say. especially if there's any warranty left on the pool. If the builder isn't available, I'd call the pool manufacturer and see what they say. Since your pool is free-form it may be structurally sound enough to stand being empty.

Even if they say it will stand being empty, I'd still check the water table height at your location.

Hi:
When you said "Depends how high the water table is at the time " what do you mean?

It means no one here can tell you if it is safe. And the rains you are getting can affect your local water table.

For example lets say your pool is 5' 6" deep. If you were to dig a hole 5' 6" and leave it over night will there be water in the hole the next day? If so this means the water table for your area is less then 5'6" and will likely lift your pool out of the ground when empty. If not then lifting will most likely not be an issue, however as stated above another possible issue is the pool when filled with water exerts pressure against the walls, once that pressure is removed will any of the dirt/rocks behind the walls shift creating voids or bumps behind the walls. When you refill the walls will put pressure against those voids or bumps which could create issues.

Reactions: Rafy
We almost never recommend draining a fiberglass pool. Even if the water table is low the walls can flex enough to allow the backfill to shift and then the wall will never go back to the original shape or position.

If the builder is still around, I'd give them a call and see what they say. especially if there's any warranty left on the pool. If the builder isn't available, I'd call the pool manufacturer and see what they say. Since your pool is free-form it may be structurally sound enough to stand being empty.

Even if they say it will stand being empty, I'd still check the water table height at your location.
Depends how high the water table is at the time. Floating the pool is a risk if you don’t leave some water in it.
Thank you for you fast response:
will emptying the pool halfway be ok or will it also have a negative effect ? There is a lot of debris in the pool and the contractor is trying to help the best he can to clean it.

Draining it half way should be fine IF the water table isn't high enough to cause an issue. You should be able to call your local extension office and ask about the water table.

I'm not sure draining it half way is going to do you a lot of good, but it'll help some.

Reactions: Rafy
For example lets say your pool is 5' 6" deep. If you were to dig a hole 5' 6" and leave it over night will there be water in the hole the next day? If so this means the water table for your area is less then 5'6" and will likely lift your pool out of the ground when empty. If not then lifting will most likely not be an issue, however as stated above another possible issue is the pool when filled with water exerts pressure against the walls, once that pressure is removed will any of the dirt/rocks behind the walls shift creating voids or bumps behind the walls. When you refill the walls will put pressure against those voids or bumps which could create issues.
Thank you for clarified that to me ... appreciate..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.