Emergency shut-off switch required or is it optional?

jmk396

Apr 26, 2018
PA
Is it required to have an emergency shut-off switch for an above-ground pool?

I'm planning to have two electrical circuits:

1) Pump -> Timer
2) Pool Heater (110v, natural gas)

If I need a shut-off switch, does it need to turn off the heater too? Do I need something like a DPDT (double-pull, double-throw) switch to shut off BOTH circuits at the same time?

Thanks ... I'm really not sure because I've read different things about a shut-off switch.

I've also been told that if the pump has a standard electrical plug that you can unplug it from the outlet and that qualifies for the disconnection rule.

I don't have a sub-panel near the pool... (I do have a sub-panel, but it's in the basement next to the main panel for extra circuits because my main panel is full)

I'll wait for @JohnT since it sounds like he's the expert :)

EDIT: I want to place the electrical outlets on the house because the pool will be close to it. I also had a gas line installed on the house for the pool heater:

Thanks!

Last edited:

You might also check on what code says about putting a heater below a window... :confused:

If this were my setup, I'd want two circuit breakers inside the "timer" box... One for the pump and one for the heater.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pump timer has a manual switch that qualifies as a manual shutoff by the equipment pad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Allen’s got it covered (y)

Hi John,
I just have a new pump timer installed. At first I thought the manual override switch inside the timer was like a main breaker (if you manually set it off, timer could not turn it back on unless you manually do so). Then I realized the switch actually is mechanically controlled by the timer. That means, when I clean the pump, the timer actually is able to turn the pump back on.
So I don’t get why it’s still qualified as a shut off?
Thanks

Hi John,
I just have a new pump timer installed. At first I thought the manual override switch inside the timer was like a main breaker (if you manually set it off, timer could not turn it back on unless you manually do so). Then I realized the switch actually is mechanically controlled by the timer. That means, when I clean the pump, the timer actually is able to turn the pump back on.
So I don’t get why it’s still qualified as a shut off?
Thanks

The purpose of the shut off is for an emergency such as a person being entrapped by suction.

We’ve had plenty of users post mishaps where the used the timer shut off while working on the plumbing, only to have the timer turn the pump on the next morning and drain the pool or run the pump drive and damage it.

The purpose of the shut off is for an emergency such as a person being entrapped by suction.

We’ve had plenty of users post mishaps where the used the timer shut off while working on the plumbing, only to have the timer turn the pump on the next morning and drain the pool or run the pump drive and damage it.

Thanks for the clarification.
So you mean in fact it’s not violating any code not having another separated switch next to the timer? I should be fine to use timer switch to shut down the pump for a while for basic maintenance like cleaning pump strainer?

If you want to stop an Intermatic timer from turning on remove the ON trippers.

Thanks for the clarification.
So you mean in fact it’s not violating any code not having another separated switch next to the timer? I should be fine to use timer switch to shut down the pump for a while for basic maintenance like cleaning pump strainer?

IIRC, it has to be visible to meet code.

If you want to stop an Intermatic timer from turning on remove the ON trippers.

Thanks Allen. But I guess most people will not bother doing so when just to clean the pump strainer.
It seems to be a common practice to use timer switch to shut down the pump for a while. I’ll keep in mind, when further service is needed for the pump, cutdown the power from panel.

Allen,
680.41 would not apply, correct? This does not apply to one-family dwellings. Is this the 2020 NEC? The 2017 NEC still only has this spas and hot tubs.

JMK396,
Basically, as Allen showed, 680.13 discusses the maintenance disconnecting means. You need a maintenance disconnect for each piece of equipment. If it plugs in, and you can remove the plug, that qualifies. Your cord should be a twist lock plug. If not, the breaker can serve as the disconnect, as long as it is within site of the equipment. If you install a switch, make sure it is rated for the amperage of the equipment. If it is 240V, then use a double pole switch.

Allen,
680.41 would not apply, correct? This does not apply to one-family dwellings. Is this the 2020 NEC? The 2017 NEC still only has this spas and hot tubs.

Yes, that is the new 680.41 from the 2020 NEC.

I have seen the type of electrical disconnect box used alongside AC compressors used to satisfy the disconnect requirement for a 240V pump where the breaker was not within sight of the pump.

Thanks! No where around here is using 2020. We are lucky to find a jurisdiction using 2017. I’m actually on a current project where the plans called for 2008 NEC code to be used!

I just quote the current code. I don't know what is in force in a given location.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.