Emergency, please help!

Lisa90

Apr 13, 2021
Lake Jackson, Tx
Hello, I am a new pool owner. I moved in recently and just had the 20000 gallon pool replastered with a pebble finish. The pool is filling today and the water had a green tint then I got a surge of orange water and now pool is more orange than green. Im on city water. I contacted the plaster company and they said to add a metal out agent to be on the safe side. Pool store is closed. Clorox has a product for metal and stain control that I can get from walmart. Should I put this in? How much?

Welcome to TFP. It is unfortunate that your pool builder let you hanging with this problem. They should have given you a HEDP based sequestrant if there was any chance of metals in your water.

If this is the product...

Clorox Pool&Spa Scale, Metal and Stain Control for Swimming Pools

I would not add it to a newly plastered pools water. The MSDS says it is a pH 2.5 - 3.12-phosphonobutane-1,2,4-tricarboxylic acid. You don't want that on your new plaster.

Hope that the orange water is just a slog of dirt and not iron. Whatever it is it can be treated after your new plaster cures.

Were you given a startup guide?

@JoyfulNoise thoughts on what this acid does on new plaster?

Reactions: imrodee
Welcome to TFP. It is unfortunate that your pool builder let you hanging with this problem. They should have given you a HEDP based sequestrant if there was any chance of metals in your water.

If this is the product...

Clorox Pool&Spa Scale, Metal and Stain Control for Swimming Pools

I would not add it to a newly plastered pools water. The MSDS says it is a pH 2.5 - 3.12-phosphonobutane-1,2,4-tricarboxylic acid. You don't want that on your new plaster.

Hope that the orange water is just a slog of dirt and not iron. Whatever it is it can be treated after your new plaster cures.

Were you given a startup guide?

@JoyfulNoise thoughts on what this acid does on new plaster?
Thank you for the reply. I was given a link to the NPC start up guidelines. I guess at this point all I can do is wait until the pool supply store opens up. I am 99% sure that is iron. I was raised on well water so I'm very familiar. I will read the article on sequestrant.

Have you read about the polyfill solution... maybe it can work?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.