Electrical problem - pump not working

pfitz4

Bronze Supporter
Feb 26, 2018
North Alabama
Yesterday my pool pump and salt system were not operating - not receiving power. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that the electrical connection (power relay box) in the timer unit had current going into it, but not coming out of it. Also important to note that there were ants in and around the conduit running from the pump to the timer box. I suspected that ants got into the power relay box and shorted out the connections.

I was able to replace the power relay box this morning. It worked! For two minutes. Then it popped, started smoking, and was very hot to the touch.

Wondering what to do next. Could be a problem within the pump itself causing the electrical components to overheat?

I have very little electrical knowledge but would like to continue troubleshooting and work out some solutions. Photos of my equipment are attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 12
Details are needed. I suspect that you are overloading the timer.

What model pump do you have?

Post pics of the pump motor data plate.

What else is connected to the timer other then the pump and the Hayward Aquarite? I see blue, yellow, and red wires.

What model number timer?

What model number relay?

What part numbers did you replace?

Last edited:
Reactions: pfitz4
I've attached a photo of the whole setup. The only things connected to the timer are the pump and the Hayward Aquarite. The Polaris has its own supply from the breaker box. I've also attached photos of the information on the pump, timer, and relay. The only piece I replaced was the relay - replaced with exact same model #.

Pump is Century USQ1152
Timer is Intermatic 24 Hr Electric Timer (P1103FE)
Relay is Omrol G7L-2A-TUBJ-CB

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0136.jpeg
    IMG_0136.jpeg
    616.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0137.jpeg
    IMG_0137.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0138.jpeg
    IMG_0138.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0139.jpeg
    IMG_0139.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 4
You have a 1.5 HP pump.

The Omron relay is rates for a 1 HP pump at 120V.

I don't think that is the original relay that came with the timer. The timer data plate says the relay should be rated for a 1.5 HP pump at 120V.

IMG_0138.jpeg

Your motor says 17.5 amps. The switch is designed for 16 amps. I believe that it is toast since the pump may draw more that the switch was designed for.

Your motor says 17.5 amps. The switch is designed for 16 amps. I believe that it is toast since the pump may draw more that the switch was designed for.

The switch is just controlling a relay.

The relay is controlling the pump and SWG.

Pump loads are going through the relay, not the switch.

This was excellent advice, thank you all so much. With all of the variables mentioned, we decided to replace the entire timer unit since it was old and had some corrosion on the terminals etc. Went with a mechanical rather than digital timer. Everything is working now. Thanks again for all of your expertise and insight.

Reactions: willygee and JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.