BunnyHouse

Mar 11, 2022
Fort Myers, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Our inground pool was completed in Feb 2022. I have a hybrid of equipment: Pump-Hayward TriStar VS900; Filter Pentair CCRP 200; Thermeau S126 Heater; Hayward Turbo T-Cell-15 Salt Cell;
I have the Hayward Aqua Plus/Aqua Connect Home Network. It is scheduled to turn on at 7:15 each morning and currently turns off at 3:15 each evening.

Several weeks after completion the system did not turn on one morning. PB said to turn off all breakers, wait 5 minutes and turn back on. It then came on and worked fine. The issue is that the system will randomly not turn on some days - this has happened about 6 times since Feb. Once I turn off the breakers, wait a few minutes and turn back on, the system will come on.

When the system does not turn on, I go out to the Hayward Aqua Plus box and the display is working, but the system is not running.
I reached out to my PB last week when it happened again and they were like, well maybe it’s a bad breaker. They said I could call the electrical company that installed it, but if not a warranty item I would be charged.
Any suggestions?

Let's be more precise when you say "The system does not turn on"?

Confirm the electrical power does not turn on and off to the "system" every day.

Do you mean that the filter pump does not begin running following its schedule in the Aquaplus after it has been shut off?

We need to understand if this is an electrical problem, a circuit breaker problem, or the pump not responding to the commands from the RS-485 line from the Aquaplus.

First thing I would do is delete the schedule for the filter pump and let it run 24/7. See that things run otherwise normally for a few days.

Pinpoint the problem to a digital communications problem between the Aquaplus and the Tristar 900 pump and then make a warranty claim with your Hayward dealer. Is the electrical company that installed it your Hayward dealer who they would work with?

You need someone to take reesponsibility for getting your system to work proerly and not finger pointing between the Pool Builder and the Electrical Installer. Why wasn't the Electrical Installer a subcontractor of the Pool Builder?

Thank you both for the replies! Some clarifications:
- when I say system does not turn on, I mean the pump/heater. There is electricity since the power display of the AquaLink is on and the Heater display is on
- I have changed the schedule and the system will run 24 hours no problem
- this occurs randomly, maybe once a month or so. But never tied to a storm
- the electric company that did the work was a sub to the Pool Builder
- when I contacted the Pool Builder they indicated they were short-staffed so could not send someone out. That is why they suggested contacting electric company direct, but warned me that if not a warranty item, I would be charged

So, how do I first determine if electrical, circuit or pump just not responding to AquaLink commands?

Really appreciate the guidance!

A problem that shows up at random times is the toughest to diagnose. If something consistently fails you can have a tech come out and see it and fix it. With a random problem chances are they will say they could not see anything wrong.

When the “system” does not come on before you begin flipping breakers you need to record the state of all equipment on paper or on video. What has power? What lights are on? What messages? What responds and what does not?

Random problems can be frustrating and sometimes you have to wait until they fail more often.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the replies! Some clarifications:
- when I say system does not turn on, I mean the pump/heater. There is electricity since the power display of the AquaLink is on and the Heater display is on
- I have changed the schedule and the system will run 24 hours no problem
- this occurs randomly, maybe once a month or so. But never tied to a storm
- the electric company that did the work was a sub to the Pool Builder
- when I contacted the Pool Builder they indicated they were short-staffed so could not send someone out. That is why they suggested contacting electric company direct, but warned me that if not a warranty item, I would be charged

So, how do I first determine if electrical, circuit or pump just not responding to AquaLink commands?

Really appreciate the guidance!
Your signature says there is a Hayward AquaPlus on your system. Your comments are about a Jandy AquaLink. AquaLink will not "talk to" a Hayward pump.

The pool is less than 6 months old. I would expect the builder to be more helpful than this. Doesn't he give a 1 year parts and labor warranty? It's really up to him to come back and diagnose the problem with the setup he installed, intermittent or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.