Diamonddancer

Apr 16, 2023
New boston, texas
Hello. We recently purchased a house with an in-ground pool. We have spent the last few months having it cleaned and having the pump repaired. It is an intellichlor saltwater generator but we are not currently using it.
The other day, my children told me that when they make contact with the metal coping around the pool edge and the water, they feel a somewhat painful tingling sensation. Of course I immediately got them out and the pool is off-limits until I figure this out.
I asked the pool technician who has been working on my pool. He said he believes it is something to do with the pool light. The light had come loose (it was installed upside down apparently) and he had just put it back on. He said if there was anything wrong he would have felt it when he made contact with those metal pieces. He told us to disconnect the light and that should resolve it.
This was not enough peace of mind for me and I went to Google. Now I’m starting to suspect there is an issue with our pool’s bonding.
My question is, what do I do now? Call an electrician? Call the power company? A pool company? What should I do to figure this out?

Welcome to the forum.

Has an electrician tested the bonding of the pool?

Do you know if the pool is even bonded?

Do you have and do you know how to use a volt meter?

One quick test you can do to see if has to do with any of the pool equipment is to turn off all the breakers for all the pool equipment. If there is still a shock, it is something else.

Stray voltage is one of the most difficult issues to diagnose. It can come from almost anywhere but one of the more common sources is neutral to earth voltage (NEV) that is a problem with the power company power distribution and more common in rural areas. Do you happen to live in a more rural environment?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.