NW Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My old post and replies are under DESIGN YOUR DREAM POOL PAD. The house build is finally started. They are framing the garage and pool house, the addition plans to the house is almost ready to go to engineering, and then the renovation to the 1904 bungalow begins. I have been given heads up to think about electrical things for the garage/garage apartment/pool house.. Throwing this out there to future proof. The pool will be built, hopefully, starting fall/ of 2020.

I have received a quote from my builder that include the line "Add a feed for future pool build". That's it. What am I missing, what should this entail, details, specs?

I have been reading this forum, and a member, for years. I love the build threads, I have made copious notes from so many of you. I will have a simple pool, rectangle, no fountains, sheers, etc. I do want auto cover, pool heater, maybe cooler, LED pool lights, robot, etc. Do I need to tell the builder/electrician to account for all this? What do they need to know and what do they need to supply?

Just FYI I know enough to know I know squat about electricity. I can't wait to have my own pool build thread!

I live in Florida so hot climate as well. I went with a heat pump just to ensure year round usability. I did not do the one with the cooler option as I did not want the expense of running that most of the year. LED lights , 3 color logics running off one transformer I will probably connect this to the 20amp circuit I ran for the area lights and outlets that will also serve the robotic cleaner.

Taylor,

You need to ask the pool builder what size (amperage) line he plans to run. There is zero downside to running a bigger wire than you need. I would want at least a 60 amp service. This assumes a gas heater and not a heat pump.. The line would run from the main circuit breaker panel in your house to the sub-panel, or automation system, mounted by your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks to both of you. I will be putting in a gas heater, I tend to run my heater, depending on the year, Oct, early Nov. and starting back up even in Feb. Just depends on the weather that year. I will be adding a stand alone hot tub, more therapeutic and more jets than a built in and will need to account for the power to that . I just want to make sure that the electrician allows enough service and for future expansion.

Jim, you say at least 60 amp, in what situation should it be a larger service? How large? What else would I need that would draw more power and require a higher service than 60 amps. I do want to do automation.

I appreciate the advice.

A standalone hot tub is all electric. Depending on the size hot tub that alone can require 60 amps.

A chiller can also need a lot of electric power depending on what type of unit you get.

Sounds like you need a 100 amp feed to a sub-panel.

A standalone hot tub is all electric. Depending on the size hot tub that alone can require 60 amps.

A chiller can also need a lot of electric power depending on what type of unit you get.

Sounds like you need a 100 amp feed to a sub-panel.
I hate being obviously dense, but can the hot tub be supplied with the pool water? I currently have and SWG and intend to do the same in a hot tub.

I will be adding a stand alone hot tub, more therapeutic and more jets than a built in

I hate being obviously dense, but can the hot tub be supplied with the pool water? I currently have and SWG and intend to do the same in a hot tub.

You need to decide if you want a prefab stand-alone hot tub that is self contained or you want to design a custom integrated hot tub with your pool that can have custom seating and as many jets as you want.

There is no practical way to connect a pre-fab bot tub with pool equipment.

Let's look at the power requirements for Sundance Spas that I am familiar with...

While the spec say it can run with 40 amps, 50 amps or 60 amps you will see that if configured for 40 amp service the heater and the pumps cannot run at the same time. You need 50 or 60 amp service to be able to use the maximum features simultaneously.

Last edited:
Taylor,

I have a standalone hot tub and Allen is spot on... My hot tub requires a 60 amp feed just for the hot tub.. I have a 60 amp feed for my hot tub (required) and a 30 amp feed for my pool. I have no heater or chiller, which is just like adding an air conditioner and suspect would be another 30 amps.

I have a Pentair automation system that is also a 125 amp load center... I suspect that all major brands of automation have the same rating. Also keep in mind that an automation load center has a limited number of breakers that can be installed. Personally, I'd either run a 125 amp service or plan on running a separate line for the hot tub.

Most people want a hot tub close to the house, so it might not even be practical to have the hot tub feed off of the pool service, depending how far away your equipment pad is.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You need to decide if you want a prefab stand-alone hot tub that is self contained or you want to design a custom integrated hot tub with your pool that can have custom seating and as many jets as you want.

There is no practical way to connect a pre-fab bot tub with pool equipment.

Thanks I will investigate that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Taylor,

I have a standalone hot tub and Allen is spot on... My hot tub requires a 60 amp feed just for the hot tub.. I have a 60 amp feed for my hot tub (required) and a 30 amp feed for my pool. I have no heater or chiller, which is just like adding an air conditioner and suspect would be another 30 amps.

I have a Pentair automation system that is also a 125 amp load center... I suspect that all major brands of automation have the same rating. Also keep in mind that an automation load center has a limited number of breakers that can be installed. Personally, I'd either run a 125 amp service or plan on running a separate line for the hot tub.

Most people want a hot tub close to the house, so it might not even be practical to have the hot tub feed off of the pool service, depending how far away your equipment pad is.

Thanks,

Jim R.
OK, the pool house is on the front of the garage, with alley entrance for cars. Pool house is 16' depth and the utility yard will be to the side of the garage. The pool will be directly in front of pool house, maybe 8-10 in front. I will run the width of the pool house and maybe a tad longer, 24'. The utility yard will have the Acs, pool equipment, including automation controls and whatever goes with all that, sprinkler and low voltage exterior lighting, room for and pre wire for generator, and maybe tankless water heaters. So the distance is from the utility yard, past the pool house 16', 8-10 distance to pool. The electrician is going to do all the requirements for the current build which Includes overhead 400amp service., and then
including an 400amp service on the garage to accommodate the future build out of the
house. This includes a feeder that will be rolled up in attic space of garage to feed the future tie
in of house.

Then added a feed for future pool equipment.
Thanks, Christine

400 amp service is overkill. If house has no gas and all electric appliances then I can see going up from a 200amp. If garage apartment is to have seperate metering then a 100 is plenty for that. The 400 can easily feed a large subpanel for pool and spa or dual 60amp for each plus house. Spend the money elsewhere or save it all together

400 amp service is overkill. If house has no gas and all electric appliances then I can see going up from a 200amp. If garage apartment is to have seperate metering then a 100 is plenty for that. The 400 can easily feed a large subpanel for pool and spa or dual 60amp for each plus house. Spend the money elsewhere or save it all together
I am back, there have been some delays with the current virus. All of the major appliance are electric, including 3 induction cooktops(3 kitchens), 3 HVAC systems, pool equipment(gas heater) and prewire for solar. I have prewire for both a generator and for electric car. I am undecided on a stand alone hot tub so there is allowance for that. So It may be overkill but I have no understanding of electrical matters, I just know adding it after the fact is a pain. I feel the same about the gas feed, wanting to make sure my builder knew that the pool heater 400K Btu, patio gas heaters, gas grill, gas fire pit were taken into consideration and that the line and meter would not need upgrading. Guess I am trying to future proof in this the phase 1 even though we are gearing up to start phase 2 as soon as we have the permit, and phase 3 will start as soon as phase 1 has certificate of occupancy. Depending on the timing pool construction could be fall/winder 2020.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.