ecoFINISH aquaBRIGHT longterm review

The epoxy cure time is temperature dependent and this is the most critical step in the whole process. The temperature should be above 50 degrees and below 90. Humidity can also be a big factor but I would assume your installer should be well versed on the application procedure.

The epoxy cure time is temperature dependent and this is the most critical step in the whole process. The temperature should be above 50 degrees and below 90. Humidity can also be a big factor but I would assume your installer should be well versed on the application procedure.
Thanks! I haven’t spoken with the installers myself. My PB is subcontracting it to them.
I remembered seeing something here about temperature parameters, so thanks for the reply! We are waiting now for a rain free forecast.

Why did you stop doing Aquabright? I sure hope I made the right decision with it. I changed from wanting Hydrazzo to Aquabright. It’s now the very last step in my build.

Thanks! I haven’t spoken with the installers myself. My PB is subcontracting it to them.
I remembered seeing something here about temperature parameters, so thanks for the reply! We are waiting now for a rain free forecast.

Why did you stop doing Aquabright? I sure hope I made the right decision with it. I changed from wanting Hydrazzo to Aquabright. It’s now the very last step in my build.
The biggest issue was time. Aquabright was a side job for me and I couldn't continue to invest the time into it.

It's a good product and a great pool finish but it's not very installer friendly and a difficult sell where plaster prices are so inexpensive.

My ecofinish looks terrible so I would not say that all installers that have been trained are qualified. Ecofinish even sent a rep out the 3rd time we had the finish applied. Now we have terminated the contractor as it was well over a year and our pools still wasn't done (for more reasons than just the finish). We have called Ecofinish to see if they will help us find someone to make it right. They said they would come out mid-April but I am not holding my breath that they plan to stand behind this installer they "trained". Ecofinish told me that our new contractor would never be able to blast off the old finish and revert to plaster. I would not recommend this product - at least not in our area where there is only one installer.
I'm supposed to get this and I'm scared to death now. This will be a warranty resurface. What should I do? Tell manufacturer I'm not seeing good reviews on it from real customers?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm supposed to get this and I'm scared to death now. This will be a warranty resurface. What should I do? Tell manufacturer I'm not seeing good reviews on it from real customers?
Our Ecofinish is fabulous. Make sure you have a good installer and ask for customer recommendations or contacts. So happy we went with this finish. Looks as good as when it was installed a few years ago!

Reactions: Theycallmesunny
Our Ecofinish is fabulous. Make sure you have a good installer and ask for customer recommendations or contacts. So happy we went with this finish. Looks as good as when it was installed a few years ago!
Oh this makes me feel so much better. Was it over fiberglass pool? Do you have any pictures? What color did you choose?

Oh this makes me feel so much better. Was it over fiberglass pool? Do you have any pictures? What color did you choose?
It was over plaster. The color I chose was Marrakesh. Everyone - including our installer - thought I was bonkers, but it turned out great. Now he’s sold several more in the same color.

Reactions: Theycallmesunny
Hi everyone,
I know this post is quite old and hasn't had much movement but none the less it seemed like a good place to ask a few questions. Our pool is a traditional gunite/plaster pool from the early 80's here in central California. The plaster is original to my knowledge and HAS been painted probably 10 years ago. Plaster has come off in some places and continues to flake off and worsen. I've started my venture of getting the pool redone and have leaned more towards a Quartz finish. From what I've seen it can last a lot longer to traditional plaster, similar to a pebble finish but is in the middle price range between plaster and pebble.

During my research yesterday I stumbled across this product and while researching it I came across this thread. I sent a installer request to EcoFinish yesterday and am currently waiting their reply to see if someone is in my area. I noticed earlier in this thread someone made a comment that there were no installers in Northern California but maybe that's changed in the last 3-4 years.

From what I'm gathering, AB can't be installed over the painted plaster and with as many repairs my plaster needs i almost feel that it would need to be removed and re-plastered before installing the AB. Even if i repaired the problem areas how many other areas are on the brink of failure. Not just that but i also have bubbles in some areas and from what I've read it has to do with calcium. It almost seems like i would better off just getting the pool redone with the quartz finish. But I'm looking yo everyone here for their advice and opinions, thanks in advance!

If you’re plaster is that old and the pool has been painted you need to do a full chip out all the way down to the gunite. No skim coats or quick fixes - hard, sweaty, labor-intensive work to remove all the old stuff. Then, when you get down to the gunite, it should be inspected for possible repairs. Waterline tile and coping should go as well and the bond beam checked for integrity. Then you can start building it back up again. The decking may need to be worked on too.

I’d forget about Aquabright. It’s great on a new build/ new install over fresh plaster but it can be a nightmare on renovations. You have to plaster the pool anyway to do Aquabright so you’re doubling your costs. Plaster + Aquabright will be more expensive than high-end Pebble coating. If the installer is new with little experience, that’s a huge red flag. AquaBright requires applicators that know what they’re doing and have experience otherwise you’re asking for a disaster.

Go with quartz plaster and be wary of dark colors and blues as they tend to have the most uniformity issues.

If you’re plaster is that old and the pool has been painted you need to do a full chip out all the way down to the gunite. No skim coats or quick fixes - hard, sweaty, labor-intensive work to remove all the old stuff. Then, when you get down to the gunite, it should be inspected for possible repairs. Waterline tile and coping should go as well and the bond beam checked for integrity. Then you can start building it back up again. The decking may need to be worked on too.

I’d forget about Aquabright. It’s great on a new build/ new install over fresh plaster but it can be a nightmare on renovations. You have to plaster the pool anyway to do Aquabright so you’re doubling your costs. Plaster + Aquabright will be more expensive than high-end Pebble coating. If the installer is new with little experience, that’s a huge red flag. AquaBright requires applicators that know what they’re doing and have experience otherwise you’re asking for a disaster.

Go with quartz plaster and be wary of dark colors and blues as they tend to have the most uniformity issues.
Thanks for the reply, and the quickness at that. Thats what i figured would be said after reading all 16 pages of this. I've had 1 company come and give a quote so far and the numbers aren't bad...

full chip out -2500
remove, install and choice of tile - 1600
quartz finish - 4800
new tranch drain (up to code) - 300
total - 9200

company said deck is in great shape and tile is as well. We don't have to replace it but they're outdated and if something happened to them during remodel, good luck finding a replacement tile. i could do a pebble finish for $1200 more , but I've heard more bad than good about pebble finishes. sucks to hear to stay away from dark and blue colors as i think i like those the most. are you saying i should pick a white?

I should also mention that my plan is to switch to salt water, if that makes any difference.

I would add not just plain white but you are also safe with a white based anything. Example. I have quartz. My base is white but the quartz are all colored so no molting issues then. Light greys like French grey are pretty forgiving also.
I have zero molting issues with my super blue quartz cause it’s a base white plaster like I said.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.