EasyTouch, ScreenLogic & Intellichlor

MouseMan54

May 18, 2016
Riverside, CA
Hello -
My basic question is, can I control my Intellichlor separately with EasyTouch?

Pool build was finished in January and I've been running on the program/schedules they setup basically since then. Essentially they set two schedules - the main schedule they provided was to run on "Pool" mode from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. The second schedule was setup as a "Cleaner" feature and set to run 8:00 am to 6:00 am. (22hrs). This was intended to be the first 30 days during all the brushing and plaster dust extractions. They told me to just delete the cleaner schedule after 30 days and the 12:00 hour schedule would be fine. I didn't delete the 22 hour schedule but did lower the speed so it was only running on the higher speed for the 12 hours. Now I'm ready to dial in schedule that works for me.

My goals:
  1. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to control the SWG on a schedule? Perhaps by associating it with a feature? My thinking is to run the SWG for XX hours per day at 100% to meet my demand and turn it off during the remainder of the circulate and cleaning cycles.
  2. I want to run on low speed most of the time to conserve energy but get the needed filtration. For instance 25GPM for 24 hours would turn over my pool 1.3 times. I also want to "overlay" two or three "skimmer" speed schedules. I have a lot of trees around and want to push up the speed to get better skimmer action. Probably for 60 or 90 minutes mid day and in the evening when the wind settles down. I have a robot so I'm not running a pressure/suction cleaner.
From what I can see I can only control the output level of the SWG, and not actually control it via a schedule. The PB told me it runs on the "Pool" circuit, but it seems to run when ever it has enough flow. I'm assuming when I'm in "Spa" mode the 0% setting on the SWG will override, but I haven't verified. I should also mention that part of my thinking is it will preserve the life of the cell if I run it for less total time vs. lower percentage for longer time... though that is based on absolutely nothing except it seems logical to me. :unsure:

Am I thinking about this correctly? Is there a better way to get to my goals? EasyTouch/ScreenLogic is clunky IMO, and I'm not happy that my PB didn't offer or Intellicenter as an option.

Thanks for reading.

Running the SWG 100% for 6 hours or 50% for 12 hours or 25% for 24 hours uses the same amount of life from the cell and gives your pool the same amount of chlorine in a 24 hour period.

Just run your SWG the entire time you run your pump. Set the SWG % to the daily FC your pool needs.

Yes, setting the spa % to 0 stops generating int he spa.

I have my spa set to 5% to get a small amount of FC int he spa when being used.

I run my pump 24/7 with a low SWG %.

What you want to do does not make a lot of sense to me.

There is just no good reason to run the pump if you are not making chlorine. The whole point of having a VS pump is so that you can run it as slow as possible and still get the job done.

For most of us with salt cells, the primary job is making chlorine. I suspect that you can turn on your salt cell running at about 1600 RPM. The cost to run 24/7 would be $30 bucks a month or less.

The idea that you have to 'turnover' your pool water x times a day is just an old myth. It is not true. Chemicals are what keeps your pool sanitized, clear and algae free, not the number of times the water passes through your filter. The filter is there to capture the junk that falls into your pool each day. By the time the filter starts capturing algae, it is way too late, you have already lost the algae war.

One great thing about running 24/7 is that you are also skimming 24/7. This means that most of the stuff that falls into your water will not sink and be captured by your skimmers.

As Allen point out, you are not using your cell up running 24/7 because you would run it at a lower output.

Keep in mind that if you only run your pump 12 hours a day. When the pump or cell shut off, the FC level in the pool needs to be high enough to remain at your FC target for 12 hours until your pump comes back on.

But... back to your questions..

The SWCG should only work if you are in the Pool or Spa modes. If it is on at other times, then it is wired wrong. As a test, go into the Service mode, wait about a minute, and go look at your cell. If it has any lights on it is wired wrong.

If you want to run your pump, but not your SWCG (Which I still think is dumb as a rock) Just set up a Feature Circuit, assign it a speed, and schedule it to run. Make sure your Pool Circuit is not scheduled for this same period of time. The pump will run the cell will not.

The IntelliCenter is just as clunky as the EasyTouch, the IntelliCenter just has a color touch screen. :mrgreen:

Please let me know if your cell is on, when the system is in the Service mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Allen/Jim -
Thanks for the info.

The info on running at lower percentage makes sense. For some reason my brain want's to think OFF = preserving cell life. But I get it thanks. My other intention there was to turn the cell off in the winter when the water is too cold. So I guess the follow would be: Is it fine to let the cell turn itself off when the water gets to cold?

@Jimrahbe - Thanks for the explanations. All that makes sense. Also hear the point on the "turnover". I was just thinking about as a way to gauge the overall filtration I'm getting. Sounds like the advise would be to take advantage of the VSF and run 24/7. I'm OK with that but I do still think I have a need to run at a higher speed for periods of time to "boost" the skimmer action. When running on lower speeds I don't get much surface tension at the skimmers so not a lot gets pulled in. If I set a feature circuit to run at a higher speed is it OK to to "overlay" them on the continuous run schedule for the Pool function? i.e. Pool is set to 24hrs. and "Skimmer" runs for a couple of different 2 hour intervals during the day? As I understand you notes above the SWG will still run, because Pool is active too. But that's OK, I just need to manage my overall output to meet my need.

Not surprised to hear IC is just as clunky. I'm just a little annoyed they didn't offer it to me as an option. From my other reading, it seems like EasyTouch/ScreenLogic are on their way out and IC is the new way. Also, I'm not super excited to have the two part protocol adapter setup cluttering up my network shelf. I would have preferred to just join my WiFi.

I'll do the SWG wiring test this evening if I get a chance.

Thanks again for

With regards to skimming, I too used to run at higher speeds several times during the day. I found that it really made little overall difference in what my skimmers picked up. I do not have a heater and run at 1200 RPM. If you look down into my skimmers you don't see much action, like you do with an old single speed pump. But.. What I found was that the skimmers were working fine, I just needed a little patience.

I use hairnets in my skimmer baskets and I can tell you that my skimmers work great. You don't see it on a minute by minute basis, but I am amazed at what the hairnets pick up just in one day.

I now run 23 hours a day at 1200 and one hour in the morning at 2500 to purge any air in the system.

You might want to make sure your skimmers have operating weir doors.. They are what makes a skimmer skim.

Running at a higher speed, a few times a day will not hurt anything and I doubt you could even tell a difference in your electrical bill.

In my mind the key is doing what works best for you and your pool.

In the winter, I just turn off the power to the SWCG transformer, because it has a separate breaker. If I did not have the breaker, I would just set the output to zero, which basically turns the cell off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well I passed the wiring test you indicated. I was determining that cell was operating by observing bubbles in the pool return, however, I know I've read that bubbles can occur at low speeds so perhaps that is what I was seeing? Is there a way to tell if the cell is operating vs. just active? The lights don't change if there is flow, regardless of what mode the system is in.

My skimmers are cylindrical floating weirs inside the basket, so no doors. The skimming action is much more noticeable at a higher speed. (50 GPM / ~2200 RPM). The other thing I notice is stuff visibly floating past the skimmer. But to your point I haven't been patient to wait and see how it does over time. I'll have to try the different settings and see if the results vary much. Also to your point, I'm not too concerned about a little extra cost if the pool looks better.

Thanks for the input. Looking forward to summer.

The lights don't change if there is flow, regardless of what mode the system is in.

Sorry, I am confused.. :scratch: Happens to me a lot.. :mrgreen:

The cell lights should be on when in Auto and either the Pool mode or Spa mode. If not in the Pool or Spa mode, then the lights should be off.

All the lights should be off, when in the Service mode,

Not sure what "The lights don't change if there is flow" means??? Other that having enough flow to change the Red flow light to a Green flow light, none of the lights will change. Other than closing the flow switch, water flow does not have any effect on the cell.

Maybe I just don't fully understand what you are saying?

I assume all the lights were off when in the Service mode. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi
Sorry for the slow follow up. My oldest just graduated high school so that's kept me pretty busy. Nevertheless, I wanted to close the loop on this thread.

Jim - my apologies for not being clear. Sometimes the words in my head, don't make it to the keyboard. Not sure how that happens. :scratch:

I went back a did a little more verification, and it turns out everything seems to be fine. I think I had some overlap in my schedules that I wasn't paying attention to. Basically, the "Pool" schedule was running underneath my Feature schedule so my SWG was still operating and all lights were on. I was thinking that the feature schedule was an override to the pool schedule, but I confirmed it's working as Jim explained.

To recap:
  • When in service mode everything is off and there are no lights on the cell.
  • When the Pool schedule is running the cell lights are on and it operates.
  • When a Feature schedule is active AND the Pool schedule is active the cell lights are on and it continues to operate.
  • When a feature schedule is active but the Pool schedule is inactive the cell lights are off and it is not operating.
With that I can control things the way I intended. I'll play with things and see what works bet for my pool. Hopefully this wasn't overly verbose, I just wanted to follow up with as much clarity as possible in case anyone comes across this thread in the future.

Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.